ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Volleyball Committee's new metric, "KPI" explained...

Gotta say, listening to her description of KPI, does not make me feel better about Pitt getting a number one seed.

We are down to #5 RPI in the Friday night figstats. I'm hopeful for a #1 seed, but not expecting it.
Who do you see getting the fourth #1 over us? Louisville is the higher RPI on figstats, and maybe they pass us in AVCA RPI but we have the advantage of winning the conference over them and they have a worse loss (NC St vs FSU). And our metrics are still better than Texas or Oregon. I’m not saying Pitt is a lock but the resume test still favors us imo

Who do you see getting the fourth #1 over us? Louisville is the higher RPI on figstats, and maybe they pass us in AVCA RPI but we have the advantage of winning the conference over them and they have a worse loss (NC St vs FSU). And our metrics are still better than Texas or Oregon. I’m not saying Pitt is a lock but the resume test still favors us imo
And … we’re back up to 4 on figstats ..

Reactions: Chaos
And … we’re back up to 4 on figstats ..
FWIW....I just spent time on the volleytalk proboards and read the bracketology discussion there that has taken place over the last 6 hours since Wisconsin won. In terms of the discussion on the top 4 seeds there was no one who even remotely thought Pitt would not be a top 4 seed. About half of the posts had Pitt slotted in at #3 and half at #4. These people were also knowledgeable on the KPI consideration by the committee. All things considered....I believe we're safe as a top 4 seed.

FWIW....I just spent time on the volleytalk proboards and read the bracketology discussion there that has taken place over the last 6 hours since Wisconsin won. In terms of the discussion on the top 4 seeds there was no one who even remotely thought Pitt would not be a top 4 seed. About half of the posts had Pitt slotted in at #3 and half at #4. These people were also knowledgeable on the KPI consideration by the committee. All things considered....I believe we're safe as a top 4 seed.
Is the following seeding what most are predicting?

1. Nebraska
2. Stanford
3. Pitt
4. Wisconsin

I'm nervous because I'm always pessimistic, I guess. I fear Louisville being seeded over us. I've been following the discussion on volleytalk and I see that we are #2 in KPI.

Reactions: phijo and persp
whats surprising with KPI, is that Wisconsin is still number 5 after their victory against Nebraska.

I have a feeling that's what they are going to do so that Wisconsin and Nebraska wouldn't meet until the championship game.
I believe that they may do just the opposite.
The championship game is on broadcast tv (ABC) for the first time
on Sunday, December 17th at 3:00.
I believe the network may want to see just one of Nebraska and Wisconsin in the final.
One red team versus Pitt, Texas, Stanford, Louisville, or Oregon
may be better for the ratings.

Reactions: Chaos
I believe the network may want to see just one of Nebraska and Wisconsin in the final.
Is there a difference between the lowest #1 and the highest #5? They can make Pitt the #4 and Wisconsin a #2 or #3 overall. They can still put those two on the opposite sides of the bracket.

Nah, the Wisconsin - Nebraska matchups are the ones that people have been talking about all season. The NCAA would love a rubber game in the championship. They'd hype that through the roof.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that I am going to be right.

I think they'd also be OK with Stanford or Texas in the championship game, but they will probably be (secretly) disappointed if Pitt, Louisville or Oregon make it.

Nah, the Wisconsin - Nebraska matchups are the ones that people have been talking about all season. The NCAA would love a rubber game in the championship. They'd hype that through the roof.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that I am going to be right.

I think they'd also be OK with Stanford or Texas in the championship game, but they will probably be (secretly) disappointed if Pitt, Louisville or Oregon make it.
Maybe you're spending too much time hanging out in the midwest. I didn't even know Wisconsin and Nebraska had a volleyball team. ;)

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT