ADVERTISEMENT

New Pat Signal (7/31) - edit/update - Matt Goncalves

If you think Chryst in any way was a better head coach than Narduzzi you are completely insane.

Under Chryst we had worse recruiting, and the defense went to nothing. We had the worse facilities in the ACC and he did nothing about it. He was inept and uncomfortable here being a head coach for the first time. Narduzzi was the opposite, he immediately took the bull by the horns.
You do know that Chryst won 13 games last year. Your blaming the facilities on Chryst, that's pretty funny. I repeat I like the Duzz, I met him and he seems like a great guy, a Pittsburgh guy but he now has to produce with his guys.

I'm pretty sure that is what everyone is saying. The difference being, folks like you are pretending its December and Pitt has lost 8 games.

There’s a big difference between blind faith and reality in this case. I hope Duzz pulls off a great season but there’s a real concern that recruiting won’t keep up if you step back and look around you.

And Pitt88
Stache, extract your head from where the sun don't shine. There are plenty of real Pitt fans who are concerned for the future of the program. That does not make me or any of the others trolls.

It is a common misconception of many that those who write anything negative about the school they graduated from and have been a rabid fan of since the days of Gary Burley, Al romano, TD, Wayne "the train" and many others are trolls. We are not trolls. We are deeply concerned about the team we love. We recognize the need for better recruits and hope for the day when Pitt resembles something like that of the late 70's.

I actually think it is possible for this to occur again. I will also say that I think that the Duzz might be the guy to get us there. Thing is, it won't happen overnight. It has to be a progression. That is why I think we have to have a special season really soon, like maybe this year or next. Without a big year, recruiting will likely worsen. It is all about momentum and improving year over year. We have lost some of the early momentum that the Duzz created, and I am hoping we can get it going. He has his guys here and there is talent. The time is now! If we stagnate, we are going to resemble the teams of the last 30 years plus.

So Stache, set your sites higher and believe there can be better for Pitt. Don't settle for the mediocrity of the last 30+ years. Passionate about Pitt: yes. Troll: I think not!

I don't know about this kid, nor do I know if he will ever be more than a backup. However, I do know one thing; the people who make these decisions about scholarships are a lot smarter than I am on the subject.

They are being well paid and have a lot more skin in the game than I do. So in that case, I will trust the coaching staff and remain positive.

I'll be honest, I never thought Brian O'Neill would amount to much. He had no other P5 offers. He proved me wrong.

I cringed at the thought of a walk on (Idowu) and converted WR with only a couple of P5 offers (Zeise) and a two star player who had zero P5 offers (Quintin Wirginis) would make up a top 4 linebacking corp in the ACC.

https://www.cardiachill.com/2018/7/...urgh-panthers-football-idowu-zeise-brightwell

Would I love to land players with multiple offers from Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc...? You bet your ass. But the moral of the story is that you don't know how it will turn out until it turns out. Recruiting is all about "upside" and development.
There is no way that Narduzzi is that superior when it comes to evaluating talent than the other P5 coaches. Just absolutely no way. As is indicated by is 5-7 record last year.

There is no way that Narduzzi is that superior when it comes to evaluating talent than the other P5 coaches. Just absolutely no way. As is indicated by is 5-7 record last year.
I have to agree. Accepting these type of kids with no P5 offers and very few offers at all at this point in the cycle is very telling. It is a clear indicator that at least as far as the O-line goes we are not attracting any interest from even 3 star players with decent offers. We can't continue to fill the final scholarships with these marginal recruits. We need to get some guys on this staff that can really sell the program or maybe we just need to WIN! 5-8 wins has proven it won't move the needle.

His first 2 classes were much better (total and average) than what we pulled in for years 3 and 4. This year they are ahead of us in average and in much better shape with uncommitted prospects.

Way to know what you are talking about!
Not only will Narduzzi have a better recruiting class than Durkin, but he will also be the HC a lot longer.

Reactions: ThePanthers
You do know that Chryst won 13 games last year. Your blaming the facilities on Chryst, that's pretty funny. I repeat I like the Duzz, I met him and he seems like a great guy, a Pittsburgh guy but he now has to produce with his guys.

I met him as well, and I can see why recruits are not excited by him as they are by others. Nice guy and family man, I def think so l, but with ZERO star power as far as personality.

Last edited:
Elite programs like Maryland? Purdue? NC State?

The coaching staff makes the difference. Find the right coaches. It isn't easy. However, if we settle for 8-5 as our ceiling in 2018 and beyond we are essentially settling to be a below average P5 program. That is unacceptable.
Durkin - 10-15, a player died under his regime due to negligence, and now their program is in turmoil. The coaching staff does make a difference, and MD is a cautionary tale. Heck - you can go back to the Wanny/Haywood/Graham/Chryst musical chairs game played here. N.C. State has been a 7-6/8-5 type program under Doeren, and he has been there longer. Should they fire him if he doesn’t start winning 10 games?

Last edited:
Durkin - 10-15, a player died under his regime due to negligence, and now their program is in turmoil. The coaching staff does make a difference, and MD is a cautionary tale. Heck - you can go back to the Wanny/Haywood/Graham/Chryst musical chairs game played here. N.C. State has been a 7-6/8-5 type program under Doeren, and he has been there longer. Should they fire him if he doesn’t start winning 10 games?

To be fair last year was probably his make or break year, and he's a bad year away this year from going back on the hot seat.

Well, they won 9 games last year, but, yes, if he fails to improve and falls back to the results he was producing before last year he should be and will be fired within a couple years. No question about it. If he goes 5-7 this year (like we did last year), there is no doubt he will be on the hot seat, despite the fact he clearly had a superior resume before he took over NC State.

Doeren has done a very good job of bringing in talented players. That roster was loaded with draft picks last year, and there are a few guys who could go round 1 this year in Finley and Harmon. He has underachieved with that talent though. Very similar to the basketball coach they recently fired whose name I can't remember.

Well, they won 9 games last year, but, yes, if he fails to improve and falls back to the results he was producing before last year he should be and will be fired within a couple years. No question about it. If he goes 5-7 this year (like we did last year), there is no doubt he will be on the hot seat, despite the fact he clearly had a superior resume before he took over NC State.
You sure changed your tune quick. You were swinging from Durkin’s nuts about 10 days ago. Also, NC State is an 8-5 Type Program and would be fools to get rid of Doeren if he accomplished that.

You sure changed your tune quick. You were swinging from Durkin’s nuts about 10 days ago. Also, NC State is an 8-5 Type Program and would be fools to get rid of Doeren if he accomplished that.

But lets say they are an 8-5 type program. The problem is there needs to be a year where you kinda go on a run. That year where you have an experienced team. Kinda like Ferentz at Iowa or Danantio at Michigan State. You eclipse the ceiling and threaten something every now and then.

NC State fans are ready to be a little more silent after last year. But that's as good as it's gotten, and they still lost to Wake and somehow lost to a South Carolina team they absolutely DOMINATED. All while having a defensive minded head coach that loaded the defense with NFL draft picks, and still couldn't produce a Top 50 defense. It's like if offense carried us during the entire Narduzzi era while the defense sucked. Why would we keep employing the defensive oriented head coach?
Last year can't be the payoff for the 8-5, 7-6 seasons under Doeren. That's where the problem comes in. You only take last year if the new floor is 9-4 under Doeren. Which is what I think NC State fans are looking for this season.

But lets say they are an 8-5 type program. The problem is there needs to be a year where you kinda go on a run. That year where you have an experienced team. Kinda like Ferentz at Iowa or Danantio at Michigan State. You eclipse the ceiling and threaten something every now and then.

NC State fans are ready to be a little more silent after last year. But that's as good as it's gotten, and they still lost to Wake and somehow lost to a South Carolina team they absolutely DOMINATED. All while having a defensive minded head coach that loaded the defense with NFL draft picks, and still couldn't produce a Top 50 defense. It's like if offense carried us during the entire Narduzzi era while the defense sucked. Why would we keep employing the defensive oriented head coach?
Last year can't be the payoff for the 8-5, 7-6 seasons under Doeren. That's where the problem comes in. You only take last year if the new floor is 9-4 under Doeren. Which is what I think NC State fans are looking for this season.
When is the last time N.C. State had the type of success you are setting the bar at?

Ole’ Chisel Tits? He was 49-37 and 25-31 in conference.

Okay? I thought you were asking me when is the last time NC State had the type of season that fans are expecting within the payoff year.
NC State usually schedules 3 guaranteed wins every year. They generally have a horrible OOC schedule.
They then play Cuse, Wake, and Boston College within the conference.
They the play some combination of UVA, GT, Pitt, and Duke every season.

That's a schedule set up for a lot of wins. Or at the very least, it's a schedule set up for a decent run once every 4 to 5 years, with 8 win seasons most years. They out recruit, to some degree, almost every team on their schedule.

Okay? I thought you were asking me when is the last time NC State had the type of season that fans are expecting within the payoff year.
NC State usually schedules 3 guaranteed wins every year. They generally have a horrible OOC schedule.
They then play Cuse, Wake, and Boston College within the conference.
They the play some combination of UVA, GT, Pitt, and Duke every season.

That's a schedule set up for a lot of wins. Or at the very least, it's a schedule set up for a decent run once every 4 to 5 years, with 8 win seasons most years. They out recruit, to some degree, almost every team on their schedule.
NC State has NEVER had a coach average 9 wins a year over his tenure. They have never been a Top 15 Program.

I didn't change my tune, at all.

Durkin did a great job recruiting at Maryland. That doesn't mean he is a great coach or will be successful. It means he has a chance, but still has to be as good or better than his competition on gameday. If you don't recruit as well or better than your competition, you don't even have a chance. You said Pitt can't recruit like Durkin recruited at Maryland. That is complete BS.

You are a natural loser, who believes recent history defines the limits of a program. I guarantee HCPN doesn't agree with you.

Last edited:
I didn't change my turn, at all.

Durkin did a great job recruiting at Maryland. That doesn't mean he is a great coach or will be successful. It means he has a chance, but still has to be as good or better than his competition on gameday. If you don't recruit as well or better than your competition, you don't even have a chance. You said Pitt can't recruit like Durkin recruited at Maryland. That is complete BS.

You are a natural loser, who believes recent history defines the limits of a program. I guarantee HCPN doesn't agree with you.
Durkin has no chance to be successful at MD because he has proven himself to be a jackass. He is 10-15 and is about to be fired.

You are a natural idiot, who has a false sense of identity that doesn’t have realistic expectations for this program.

NC State has NEVER had a coach average 9 wins a year over his tenure. They have never been a Top 15 Program.

Okay?
I just broke down NC State's schedule for you.
I really don't know why you think they should lose 6 games a year with that schedule.
NC State has primarily been a basketball school that couldn't have cared less about football for most of it's history (much like most of the ACC). The question is what is their ceiling today. Not what they did when Jimmy V was taking them dancing in the tourney.
There aren't a lot of teams they should lose to on their schedule on a yearly basis.
And none of this is relevant to what I posted. You're not actually responding to what I wrote, you're just having a conversation with yourself.
NC State fans are probably fine with being an 8-5 type program. As is Michigan State and Iowa. Provided every 4 to 5 years you have a season where you threaten something. You make some noise. Last year can't be the "payoff" season for Doeren under his 8-5 regime.
Doeren can't go back to 7-6 seasons and NC State fans comfort themselves by saying, "That's okay, boys. We will always have that season where we outgained South Carolina by 250 yards and still lost, to hold onto."
That isn't how it works, even for the Iowas and Kansas States and Michigan States and Pitts of the world.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Durkin has no chance to be successful at MD because he has proven himself to be a jackass. He is 10-15 and is about to be fired.

You are a natural idiot, who has a false sense of identity that doesn’t have realistic expectations for this program.
You still don't get the discussion, at all.

I believe Pitt can be a successful P5 program. You don't. Obviously I am a much bigger fan and care about Pitt much more than you do. Our HC would, most definitely, think you are a loser.

The talent gap between UW and Pitt is minimal. The coaching gap is minimal with Narduzzi probably a notch above. What's left?

Oh yeah, Chryst plays only 2 top 35 teams while Narduzzi plays 6. In most seasons, the only difference in the results is the schedule.

The talent gap between UW and Pitt is minimal. The coaching gap is minimal with Narduzzi probably a notch above. What's left?

Oh yeah, Chryst plays only 2 top 35 teams while Narduzzi plays 6. In most seasons, the only difference in the results is the schedule.
The staff/HCPN being better coaches is certainly debatable and I imagine everyone not connected to Pitt would disagree, but yes, the competition is harder in the ACC and in our division. Because of that, we have to recruit better to compete and Wisconsin cannot be "modeled" at Pitt. What Wisconsin does, which is impressive, is beat the teams they are equal or more talented than almost every single time. We certainly have not done that, yet, under HCPN.

Reactions: pittdan77
Wisconsin beats the teams they are supposed to beat and rarely beat teams that are more talented. That's been their M.O. for years.

Their best win last year was over a greatly depleted Miami (just like Pitt). Other than that, they really beat no-one.

The staff/HCPN being better coaches is certainly debatable and I imagine everyone not connected to Pitt would disagree, but yes, the competition is harder in the ACC and in our division. Because of that, we have to recruit better to compete and Wisconsin cannot be "modeled" at Pitt. What Wisconsin does, which is impressive, is beat the teams they are equal or more talented than almost every single time. We certainly have not done that, yet, under HCPN.

Reactions: cashisking884
Wisconsin beats the teams they are supposed to beat and rarely beat teams that are more talented. That's been their M.O. for years.

Their best win last year was over a greatly depleted Miami (just like Pitt). Other than that, they really beat no-one.
That is exactly what I am saying. They barely play anyone with a talent advantage. They also beat the teams equal to them almost all the time. For Pitt to be successful, they need to greatly improve their talent AND stop scheduling like idiots OOC. HCPN and staff also has to then start beating all the teams they have equal or better talent than at a practically 90% (maybe more) clip. Right now, that isn't happening. I've been saying that for a long, long time. People like DiehardPanther, meister, and FireballZ call that trolling and being a "Nitter".

That is exactly what I am saying. They barely play anyone with a talent advantage. They also beat the teams equal to them almost all the time. For Pitt to be successful, they need to greatly improve their talent AND stop scheduling like idiots OOC. HCPN and staff also has to then start beating all the teams they have equal or better talent than at a practically 90% (maybe more) clip. Right now, that isn't happening. I've been saying that for a long, long time. People like DiehardPanther, meister, and FireballZ call that trolling and being a "Nitter".
Agree they really should be scheduling two guaranteed wins along with a likely win and a tough game. The big advantage for wisconsin is they will get 70k to midville school for the blind, Pitt needs opponents to help draw fans. I still think the AD's have been a bit short sighted take the low attendance for a few years and hope winning more brings fans not the opponent.

Agree they really should be scheduling two guaranteed wins along with a likely win and a tough game. The big advantage for wisconsin is they will get 70k to midville school for the blind, Pitt needs opponents to help draw fans. I still think the AD's have been a bit short sighted take the low attendance for a few years and hope winning more brings fans not the opponent.
But the problem is: Other than ND, WVU, and PSU no opponents draw fans for the opponent to a level even close to commensurate with the risk of a loss. The difference in tickets sold, or even attendance, for Akron or YSU is negligible vs OkState and Iowa, but the chances of losing are unbelievably higher.

Reactions: pittdan77
But the problem is: Other than ND, WVU, and PSU no opponents draw fans for the opponent to a level even close to commensurate with the risk of a loss. The difference in tickets sold, or even attendance, for Akron or YSU is negligible vs OkState and Iowa, but the chances of losing are unbelievably higher.

Part of that has to do with the fact that they're not putting away YSU so you might have to sit there and be miserable as you go to OT against a team you should be beating by three TD's. But then you go to PSU and look "meh" and you can't expect anyone to be "excited" to see OkState. Not saying OkState moves the needle but that game felt like a train wreck a week before it happened.

Honestly, Albany should be a gimme. But as a Pitt fan, you feel like there's very little you get out of that game because you know you better win, but there's always that chance that it takes forever to put them away or worse. I have to be honest, that's just not as much fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT