ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft

This is the draft the Steelers should have had in 2021.
Yes, every couple of years, I do not understand why any one would not build their offenses and defenses around strong lines? It is often noted around the football world that winning the line of scrimmage is such a huge advantage. I have nothing against N.Harris, he busts his butt for the team, but Steelers should never have used his draft slot on RB, for example.

And some people can't acknowledge that the Steelers also did KP a huge favor by drafting him in the first round.
No other team would have done that, and it allowed KP to have a running start both financially and in terms of starting in the NFL.

Players don't have much control over where they are drafted, unless they dig in and hold out or refuse to report to a bad situation. Pretty sure KP was thrilled to get drafted #1 by the Steelers.

No doubt, the Steelers were in a funk, and it was a horrible situation for a rookie QB. But those are the cards he was dealt, and he seemed to do the best he could. It just wasn't enough and the ever negative and shock jock Pittsburgh sports media pounced, as they always do.

I don't understand this argument/debate of how KP was done dirty by the Steelers. It was a mutual separation, he wanted out and the Steelers accommodated him. He gets his $$ and a fresh start, and the Steelers apparently feel better with their QB room as well.
Best of luck to both of them.
This is crazy. You're acting like Kenny was a Make-a-Wish kid or something. Teams don't "do players favors" by taking them in the 1st. They're multi-billion dollar organizations with decades of experience in scouting and deploying players. If Kenny is as bad as some of you think, and had no business being a 1st rounder, and the team took him in the 1st, then that's on the organization. It's not on the player.

In any event, Kenny had a 1st round grade on him from all of the services that I follow, and must have had a 1st or 2nd round grade or the Steelers wouldn't have taken him at 20. It's not the first time they got a QB grade wrong. They also had a 1st round grade on Mason Rudolph (and then puzzlingly didn't take him in the 2nd either).

This myopia of only blaming Kenny is nuts. The Steelers have now - by canning his OC, WR1, both OTs, and C - admitted they screwed up and let him down. And some of you are acting like cultists and twisting every single fact in the same direction, often unreasonably and in the face of common sense.

I'm not interest in any more Pickett debating, but they got rid of Kenny even before they got rid of most of the other pieces. The entire unit was an issue.

Pickett sucked.
Moore sucked.
Cole sucked.
Canada sucked.

I mean, Diontae Johnson has actually succeeded in this league before, and I'm not about to make excuses that his lack of production was because we had QBs who couldn't get him the ball. F him, too. This isn't pee wee ball where coaches are overlooking guys. If you're good enough, they'll know it. And they chose to part with/draft over all of them.

It’s fair to point out the Steelers cleared out the QB room and conclude it was a huge problem too.
Sounds like two QBs left. The Steelers didn’t clear out their room. Mason left intentionally when he was blindsided and Kenny left because at worst it was a mutual parting after he was blindsided too.

Let’s see if Tomlin and his great draft choices can win a second playoff game in 12 years
Is you go back and look at Colberts drafts since 2016, it’s no wonder this team hasn’t won any playoff games. I’m not interested in doing so but if anyone wants to list them, it isn’t pretty. That said we know Tomlin is majorly involved in the process too and I’ve been critical of him for it. But it is amazing that since Colbert left Tomlin is still around and the drafts appear to be stellar.

No complaints here. Small school guy that was dubbed the “most underrated lineman in the draft”… sounds like Kevin Dotson all over again.
Greg Gattuso from Albany texted Zeise when the Steelers drafted him and was effusive over him. He played him in the playoffs and said the guy is a stud and will have a long career in the league. Nothing wrong with stockpiling with OL talent.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Greg Gattuso from Albany texted Zeise when the Steelers drafted him and was effusive over him. He played him in the playoffs and said the guy is a stud and will have a long career in the league. Nothing wrong with stockpiling with OL talent.
Here’s what I love about this draft:

It reminds me of the early 2000s when they rebuilt the offensive line (Faneca, Simmons, Smith, Starks + Hastings in free agency) when they also had questions surrounding the QB position. It allowed them to have success in the present with Slash and Tommy Gun but also created the building blocks for when they drafted a QB.

No matter what happens with Russell Wilson, Fields, or a QB yet-to-be-drafted, they have a GREAT foundation in place. That’s not even factoring in the Najee/Warren backfield duo that’ll take some of that pressure off.

Here’s what I love about this draft:

It reminds me of the early 2000s when they rebuilt the offensive line (Faneca, Simmons, Smith, Starks + Hastings in free agency) when they also had questions surrounding the QB position. It allowed them to have success in the present with Slash and Tommy Gun but also created the building blocks for when they drafted a QB.

No matter what happens with Russell Wilson, Fields, or a QB yet-to-be-drafted, they have a GREAT foundation in place. That’s not even factoring in the Najee/Warren backfield duo that’ll take some of that pressure off.
The jury is out on this draft, but do a personal exercise of best pick to worst pick. A solid case can be made that picks 3, 4, and 5 will be better picks than #1 and #2 considering all 5 picks could have pro bowl pedigree and if pick 3,4,5 makes a pro bowl, that’s significant value. Time will tell but this new regime may have possibly changed the trajectory of this franchise in just two drafts. And there’s potential of a trade for a BIG TIME playmaker in the works.

The jury is out on this draft, but do a personal exercise of best pick to worst pick. A solid case can be made that picks 3, 4, and 5 will be better picks than #1 and #2 considering all 5 picks could have pro bowl pedigree and if pick 3,4,5 makes a pro bowl, that’s significant value. Time will tell but this new regime may have possibly changed the trajectory of this franchise in just two drafts. And there’s potential of a trade for a BIG TIME playmaker in the works.
Sounds like a receiver. I’d imagine the bettings favorites are Courtland Sutton (who had a career high in TDs last season with Wilson) and Aiyuk. Deebo Samuel would likely cost too much. Here’s a wildcard: Davonte Adams. Raiders are rebuilding and shipped out Adams’ college QB. They also need an outside weapon since Roman Wilson will play in the slot. That contract is massive, though.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Sounds like a receiver. I’d imagine the bettings favorites are Courtland Sutton (who had a career high in TDs last season with Wilson) and Aiyuk. Deebo Samuel would likely cost too much. Here’s a wildcard: Davonte Adams. Raiders are rebuilding and shipped out Adams’ college QB. They also need an outside weapon since Roman Wilson will play in the slot. That contract is massive, though.
Could it be a d back?

Could it be a d back?
Technically it could, but Bryant McFadden (who was the first person to report on a trade happening today) confirmed it wasn’t re-signing Patrick Peterson.

I also don’t think they’ll sign Cam Sutton until there’s more clarity on his legal situation- that might be a deal that happens closer to training camp. At least that’s the impression I got from Ray Fittipaldo on the Post Gazette’s podcast this morning.

Technically it could, but Bryant McFadden (who was the first person to report on a trade happening today) confirmed it wasn’t re-signing Patrick Peterson.

I also don’t think they’ll sign Cam Sutton until there’s more clarity on his legal situation- that might be a deal that happens closer to training camp. At least that’s the impression I got from Ray Fittipaldo on the Post Gazette’s podcast this morning.
Could trade for one.

This is crazy. You're acting like Kenny was a Make-a-Wish kid or something. Teams don't "do players favors" by taking them in the 1st. They're multi-billion dollar organizations with decades of experience in scouting and deploying players. If Kenny is as bad as some of you think, and had no business being a 1st rounder, and the team took him in the 1st, then that's on the organization. It's not on the player.

In any event, Kenny had a 1st round grade on him from all of the services that I follow, and must have had a 1st or 2nd round grade or the Steelers wouldn't have taken him at 20. It's not the first time they got a QB grade wrong. They also had a 1st round grade on Mason Rudolph (and then puzzlingly didn't take him in the 2nd either).

This myopia of only blaming Kenny is nuts. The Steelers have now - by canning his OC, WR1, both OTs, and C - admitted they screwed up and let him down. And some of you are acting like cultists and twisting every single fact in the same direction, oftenI unreasonably and in the face of common sense.
I said the Steelers made a mistake taking KP in the first round, so I agree with you Mrs Pickett.

I'm not blaming KP for anything. He tried here and didn't get it done for a lot of reasons. Best of luck to him wherever he lands.
If he's truly a starting QB in the NFL, he'll get another chance to prove it when his contract is up.

Patience grasshopper. All your KP dreams may still come true.

If there's anything going on here cult wise, it is a KP cult!!

I said the Steelers made a mistake taking KP in the first round, so I agree with you Mrs Pickett.

I'm not blaming KP for anything. He tried here and didn't get it done for a lot of reasons. Best of luck to him wherever he lands.
If he's truly a starting QB in the NFL, he'll get another chance to prove it when his contract is up.

Patience grasshopper. All your KP dreams may still come true.

If there's anything going on here cult wise, it is a KP cult!!
@FreeportPanther you better never use the phrase “got a steal” while talking draft choices. I’m putting you on notice that teams can’t steal other teams draft picks.

The Steelers gave him a chance and I stated here (above) that Kenny had the support of his head coach. That’s great. Sometimes that’s as much as you can ask for because you can’t control what’s on your roster. And let’s face it, first round QBs normally don’t have the talent around them that Ben Roethlisberger had as an example. Or Brock Purdy for that matter. The only thing the steelers should have done more was part with Canada last offseason. But where I think kenny was done dirty, not my phrase but I’ll humor you and use yours, is with the media. They speak in absolutes and control the narrative and almost never acknowledge how poor of a situation it was here. They expected Kenny to be Ben or Brock and there was absolutely no way that was happening. And yinzer sheep nation followed along because they are not smart enough to realize they are being influenced by aholes.
Good post. I’d only add that it’s clear that KP isn’t talented enough to overcome the deficiencies that the Steelers had on offense (OL knuckle head WRs. Mediocre TE and Canada). Few QBs are. The question is is he good enough to be a winning qb with the right talent around him. I think he is but for sure the jury is out and it’s fair to debate that

I think where the Steelers screwed him is by not tamping down the bullshit stories in the media. It’s almost like they wanted to see him trashed to make it easier to move on

The draft this year is something they should have done when they had a HOF Qb at the end of his career. The question is will the improvements be good enough for two reject qbs

Cam Sutton--LOL.

Watch a little of his film for Detroit last year. Watch the Dallas game where Cee Dee Lamb hung 227 on him.

If he hadn't fled first, he would have been run out of town here on a rail. He was F'in HORRIBLE. He gave the Lions the easy way out by committing a crime and allowing them to can him for cause.

Cam Sutton--LOL.

Watch a little of his film for Detroit last year. Watch the Dallas game where Cee Dee Lamb hung 227 on him.

If he hadn't fled first, he would have been run out of town here on a rail. He was F'in HORRIBLE. He gave the Lions the easy way out by committing a crime and allowing them to can him for cause.
Maybe. I heard he had a rough year but he would be the CB2 here and wouldn’t be defending guys like a Lamb or a Jefferson.

Cam Sutton--LOL.

I’m not saying whether they should or shouldn’t, simply stating that might be a move we see before the offseason is over.

And sick of reading all the stiller garbage on a Pitt message board. KP is still a Pitt Panther and we can talk about him all we want to since it's a Pitt message board. So Tomlin and company are above criticism???? Laughable H2P!!!!
don't open the threads then. Simple solution Petey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT