ADVERTISEMENT

Observation about the PG

JS School

Junior
Aug 17, 2011
I know nothing about putting out a newspaper, but it just seems odd to me that Pitt loses a 9PM game and the story makes the front page of the sports section. But Pitt wins a 6:30 game and Hinson scores 41 and the story doesn't make it into the Sunday print edition at all and is on page 8 of the online edition. Not a big deal, but I have noticed this pattern all season.

Also, I had to laugh when in the weekend section they once chose a Pitt game as a tv highlight for the upcoming weekend. The description was "Pitt's tour of the ACC cellar continues". Their previous 4 opponents were Wake Forest , Miami, Georgia Tech and Duke.

I have noticed this pattern
It's been a thing for me forever, I could not believe the lack of "prestige" the University gets in the eyes of locals, not just athletics but as a world class University, which was not my experience growing up about 600 miles south, Pitt was highly looked upon in general.

One more reason to play Duquesne in December and blast them off the court, at least local papers cover the game and have to talk about a Pitt Victory.

I know nothing about putting out a newspaper, but it just seems odd to me that Pitt loses a 9PM game and the story makes the front page of the sports section. But Pitt wins a 6:30 game and Hinson scores 41 and the story doesn't make it into the Sunday print edition at all and is on page 8 of the online edition. Not a big deal, but I have noticed this pattern all season.

I don't know if they still do this or not, but back when a physical paper was a much bigger deal there were several different editions of the Sunday paper. There was a Saturday night edition, that obvious didn't have anything from about mid-day Saturday in it. Then there was an early Sunday edition, that didn't have any sports results from the evening in it. And then there was the final edition, which had all the Saturday night sports results in it. And lots of times people got an early edition and complained that it didn't have some Saturday night result in it, when the final edition had full coverage.

So I guess the question is, do they still put out multiple editions of the physical Sunday paper, and if so which edition did you see, and if not when is the one edition that they print actually printed?

Also, I had to laugh when in the weekend section they once chose a Pitt game as a tv highlight for the upcoming weekend. The description was "Pitt's tour of the ACC cellar continues". Their previous 4 opponents were Wake Forest , Miami, Georgia Tech and Duke.
And you would think Pitt basher Ron Cook is gone.

I don't know if they still do this or not, but back when a physical paper was a much bigger deal there were several different editions of the Sunday paper. There was a Saturday night edition, that obvious didn't have anything from about mid-day Saturday in it. Then there was an early Sunday edition, that didn't have any sports results from the evening in it. And then there was the final edition, which had all the Saturday night sports results in it. And lots of times people got an early edition and complained that it didn't have some Saturday night result in it, when the final edition had full coverage.

So I guess the question is, do they still put out multiple editions of the physical Sunday paper, and if so which edition did you see, and if not when is the one edition that they print actually printed?
I have no idea what the print version does, but the online PG has excellent Pitt hoops and football coverage.
They have 2 reporters on the beat at every hoops home game, and at least 1 at road games. They do a preview before each game and a podcast episode after each game, as well as written recaps and analyses. And they do a weekly Pitt mailbag podcast, as well as a college hoops podcast which has a lot of Pitt content. You could literally not have more content for a local college team.

Reactions: pittchagg
Wookin’ pa nub in all da wong paces. Wookin pa nub…
otay-okay.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

This thread is mostly humans’ (and some Pitt fans’) natural tendency to enjoy being mad.

Nothing to see here. Sunday paper is put together earlier. Many times Saturday scores would just say “night”.

Not sure about how the editions work current day - but this was absolutely how it used to be.

This thread is mostly humans’ (and some Pitt fans’) natural tendency to enjoy being mad.

Nothing to see here. Sunday paper is put together earlier. Many times Saturday scores would just say “night”.

Not sure about how the editions work current day - but this was absolutely how it used to be.
I'm not mad, and I don't enjoy being mad. I made a simple observation.

I know there are different editions, but the only one I am talking about is the one that lands in my driveway. Let me make it simple for you:

7:30 Pirate game - story
7:30 Penguin game -story
6:30 Pitt win - no story
9:00 Pitt loss - story

When it happened once or twice I figured there was a logical reason. For it to become a trend seems odd.

I'm not saying it's some grand conspiracy theory. I think Carter is good, but Hiles seems lazy. I see misspelled words and misused homonyms in his articles (tenner instead of tenor?) Maybe he just doesn't always get his articles submitted in time. I noticed someone new wrote this morning's article.

I know there are different editions, but the only one I am talking about is the one that lands in my driveway. Let me make it simple for you:

When it happened once or twice I figured there was a logical reason. For it to become a trend seems odd.

I'm not saying it's some grand conspiracy theory. I think Carter is good, but Hiles seems lazy. I see misspelled words and misused homonyms in his articles (tenner instead of tenor?) Maybe he just doesn't always get his articles submitted in time. I noticed someone new wrote this morning's article.
Hiles is on the Pirates beat now, so he went down to Florida from Winston-Salem after the Wake game.

Basically, when Ron Cook retired they bumped up Jason Mackey to his columnist role, and bumped Hiles up to the Pirates beat. So they bumped up a relatively new reporter in Abby Schnable, who was covering Duquesne and the Pitt Olympic sports, to be the other person with Chris Carter for the Pitt basketball beat.

Hiles is on the Pirates beat now, so he went down to Florida from Winston-Salem after the Wake game.

Basically, when Ron Cook retired they bumped up Jason Mackey to his columnist role, and bumped Hiles up to the Pirates beat. So they bumped up a relatively new reporter in Abby Schnable, who was covering Duquesne and the Pitt Olympic sports, to be the other person with Chris Carter for the Pitt basketball beat.
Abby did a nice job in this Virginia Tech post-game podcast with Chris Carter:

Were those all the same night? Sunday edition is different.

So in your efforts to “make it simple” you are omitting relevant context.

Check next time when those games are on the same night. If a Saturday night Pitt game is omitted, I bet the pens game is too.

Reactions: mike412
The one thing I will say is when cook was there he often unfairly bashed Pitt and took every opportunity he could to do so.

I remember after our Miami loss in 2021 he had an article out within two hours saying same old Pitt. What was curious about it is he was away covering osu/psu so it seemed pretty canned and pre written.

I’ll give starkey credit here. He took cook to task on the FAN for praising psu for keeping it close against osu but blasting Pitt for losing.

It's called chicken $hit selective journalism. Treat wvcc and st penn local when they win but bury their scores when they lose. Typical BS.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I do know something about putting out a newspaper. I worked at the PG as a writer right before I reported for active duty. Back then, they didn’t have a Sunday edition; only the Press did. But, they added it after the “merger.” I know the Press had a 6 pm deadline for its early Sunday morning edition. You could get it at a newsstand by 9 or 10 pm on Saturday night. Assuming the PG followed the same schedule after they became one newspaper, there would never be coverage of any 6:30 pm Saturday Pitt game, win or loss, in the early Sunday edition. Or PSU game or Steeler game or Pirate game or Pens game.

I get the online PG and the online Trib Review here in Barcelona. I think Pitt gets about equal coverage in both if you leave out the columnists like Madden. I went back and checked and the time/date line on Christopher Carter’s story about the Louisville game is 2.32 am Sunday morning. That doesn’t surprise me: The game was too late for the early Sunday edition which already was in delivery trucks headed to newsstands when the game ended, so there would be no rush in getting the story finished. I imagine Carter finished writing it 2 or 3 hours after it ended, but it wouldn’t have been finally proofread and edited until they figured out the layout for the late Sunday edition which would have been around 1 am after they had all the late scores from the West Coast. That would be when they knew how many lines it would get and (if necessary) edited it down to that figure. The late Sunday edition deadline would likely be on the presses by about 3 am for those trucks to start delivering it about 6:30 am.

I don’t know what page the Louisville/Hinson story was on in the late Sunday print edition, but it was one of the lead sports stories in the online editions in both the PG and the TR. There also were two follow-up stories the next day in the PG.

I believe the Wake Forest game was on a Tuesday. Again, the paper has two editions. The game wouldn’t have been in the early edition, win or lose, but it would have been in the morning edition. And, it certainly should have been on the front page. It was one of the top stories in the online edition, as it should have been, and there have been two follow-up stories about the significance of the loss to Pitt’s NCAA chances, as there should have been.

I don’t see one thing wrong with the coverage of either game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT