ADVERTISEMENT

Okunlola Portaling

Oct 25, 2021
Damn. What's the point in even being a fan of this stuff anymore?

You develop a dude well enough, and you're basically just ensuring he'll be appealing enough for a bigger program to pick off.

this sucks.

But enough guys will portal....and end up on the bench somewhere else.

In time....some kids will stay put...take less money to play

I hope.....

Pitt (and about 25-30 other programs) are dead men walking now. This absolutely sucks. Every year will be the same story.

this sucks.

But enough guys will portal....and end up on the bench somewhere else.

In time....some kids will stay put...take less money to play

I hope.....

I have to imagine that if this were a few years ago Jones, Weaver, Twyman, Kancey, and plenty of others would have left. Just a mess.

I think Okunlola is a pretty legit talent who likely turns into a midround draft pick; I don't anticipate him being on the bench anywhere, but we shall see. Maybe he ends up at Miami, with his brother. I mentioned that being a concern once he committed there.

Coach Partridge will keep developing DL players and players in the portal know this. Relax and let it unfold!

If this year wasn't a prime example of the limitations of Charlie Patridge, I don't know what to tell you. Only so much you can make out of chicken sh*t. So, no... probably not going to relax over the fact that we just lost our best young player.

The teams with the most financial support have always had an advantage. It is just getting magnified now with NIL and the open transfer market.

Pitt is in the bottom third of the Power 5 in regards to financial support, so this is going to continue happening. Pitt fans would rather just throw their hands up and walk away, so expect things to get worse.

I have to imagine that if this were a few years ago Jones, Weaver, Twyman, Kancey, and plenty of others would have left. Just a mess.

I think Okunlola is a pretty legit talent who likely turns into a midround draft pick; I don't anticipate him being on the bench anywhere, but we shall see. Maybe he ends up at Miami, with his brother. I mentioned that being a concern once he committed there.
This is one I was hoping we didn't see. It hurts more than the others, no sugar coating it.

Thats it. Officially don't give a F anymore about college sports.

Yeah, I mean this is unlike anything else we've ever seen. The people who say, "It's always been like this; it's just out in the open now" are clueless. Recruiting advantages have always existed - yes. But the way around it was to identify and develop under the radar talent, as well as adding a few big fish.

Now, it doesn't matter what the hell you do. This would be like if every MLB player was on a one-year contract and the Yankees could just shake the Pirates down every year, as if the pre-existing advantages weren't enough.

I really don't know if this will stop until fans quit watching, sadly.

The transfer portal has quickly morphed into a free agent market.

If the NCAA doesn't figure out a way to get this under control quickly, it probably will seriously undermine college football.

I'm a big college football fan. I think it offers a lot that the NFL can't. However, if it just becomes 'who can buy the most players,' many football fans might just shift to the NFL or relinquish football fandom.

The transfer portal has quickly morphed into a free agent market.

If the NCAA doesn't figure out a way to get this under control quickly, it probably will seriously undermine college football.

I'm a big college football fan. I think it offers a lot that the NFL can't. However, if it just becomes 'who can buy the most players,' many football fans might just shift to the NFL or relinquish football fandom.

Yep. I'm a competitive person, and it just frustrates the hell out of me to watch the fans of these bigger schools celebrate after knowing they bought X amount of their roster away from other programs. And then to see those guys announced as Alabama, instead of Georgia Tech (for example), players when they're drafted.... no thanks. That's really, really stupid.

Once ESPN started to embrace/glorify this portal stupidity, kids began to think it was some rite of passage. I'd just as soon walk away from all of this.

If Pitt and 40 or so schools of their ilk had any dignity they would just break off and form their own league where the competitive disadvantages aren't insurmountable. But that would mean the coaches, ADs, chancellors, and presidents would be leaving money on the table, so it'll never happen. As much as Narduzzi gets on my nerves, I'm sure what he really thinks about all this is pretty congruent to how most of the posters on this board see it. But he just has to sit there, shut up, and collect his $6M every year, I guess.

Reactions: FireballZ
I said there would be a couple of gut punches when the portal opened, and this is one of them.

Probably headed to Miami to join his brother...

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I said there would be a couple of gut punches when the portal opened, and this is one of them.

He was always priority #1 in my book, when you factor in what he's flashed + eligibility + positional importance. Not a single player on the roster I wouldn't have rather lost.

We should start running some goofball offense with players that wouldn't work in 99% of other college systems and then focus all our NIL money on defense.

He was always priority #1 in my book, when you factor in what he's flashed + eligibility + positional importance. Not a single player on the roster I wouldn't have rather lost.

We should start running some goofball offense with players that wouldn't work in 99% of other college systems and then focus all our NIL money on defense.
I agree 100% If you asked me which player we could not afford to lose, he would've been the first one on the list.

It's a kick to the nuts.

But heck, he didn't start over Nate Temple....Unbelievable....

Yeah some team(s) swooped in with major $$$. These players should have to sit out a year. The sad thing is he probably was talking with these teams before the season was over.

Kenny Johnson still hasn’t committed to being back either so we could loose both out too young players

Yeah some team(s) swooped in with major $$$. These players should have to sit out a year. The sad thing is he probably was talking with these teams before the season was over.

Yeah, you stop this whole thing if you go back to making them sit out a year.

Unfortunately, there is talk about giving them unlimited transfers. Just a cesspool. ESPN loves the drama, though, so it'll never change unless someone outside of the sport steps in.

Yeah, you stop this whole thing if you go back to making them sit out a year.

Unfortunately, there is talk about giving them unlimited transfers. Just a cesspool. ESPN loves the drama, though, so it'll never change unless someone outside of the sport steps in.
But the O$U and st Penns of the world were complaining when we gave out unlimited scholarships in the 70's. My my what hypocrites they are now.

Kenny Johnson still hasn’t committed to being back either so we could loose both out too young players

At this point, it's tough to even care. I might rather just see us become the Pirates so that I can walk away completely.

Of course we'll still be playing ACC teams in the same boat, so Pitt, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Duke, and Virginia can all battle it out to see who goes 5-7 vs 6-6 vs 7-5.

It's just dumb. NC State was one of the worst 9-3 teams I've ever seen this year. They just played a bunch of lousy competition. Guess it'll be like that every year, and a season like 2021 will be out of the question.

Reactions: Dan1911
Welcome to the Farm League. The only question now is whether we'll be playing AAA or AA ball.

Cruzer

At this point, it's tough to even care. I might rather just see us become the Pirates so that I can walk away completely.

Of course we'll still be playing ACC teams in the same boat, so Pitt, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Duke, and Virginia can all battle it out to see who goes 5-7 vs 6-6 vs 7-5.

It's just dumb. NC State was one of the worst 9-3 teams I've ever seen this year. They just played a bunch of lousy competition. Guess it'll be like that every year, and a season like 2021 will be out of the question.
Yeah 2021 never would have happened if these rules would have been in place. We were lucky we had that year before this garbage got really bad.

Damn. What's the point in even being a fan of this stuff anymore?

You develop a dude well enough, and you're basically just ensuring he'll be appealing enough for a bigger program to pick off.

Keep em coming. One of the worst teams in school history. I want almost everyone in the portal

That makes 14 gone on D between graduation and the portal.

Yeah, to replace with the leftovers of other teams sloppy seconds. That'll be swell.
We had exactly 1 guy on the entire roster make the All-ACC team. MJ was 2nd Team.

I’m not saying losing Sammy is a good thing, but there are a lot of guys playing at smaller schools that are better than what we had this year. The 2 stud DL for FSU came from Albany and some directional school in Michigan.

Reactions: singregardless
This whole thing just sucks. Let’s drop to FCS and start scheduling Youngstown State, Eastern Washington and Montana State.

This isn’t going to change until as someone earlier said, someone needs to step in and steer this. Where is the transfer sit out when you need it the most???

We had exactly 1 guy on the entire roster make the All-ACC team. MJ was 2nd Team.

I’m not saying losing Sammy is a good thing, but there are a lot of guys playing at smaller schools that are better than what we had this year. The 2 stud DL for FSU came from Albany and some directional school in Michigan.
i agree in theory but he was one of the very few young players that showed actual promise. And at DE too, where we pretty much have no one..

We are coming off a year of watching nate temple caliber talent, was kind of hoping it was just a one year hiccup and not a trend.

Reactions: pittmeister
But the O$U and st Penns of the world were complaining when we gave out unlimited scholarships in the 70's. My my what hypocrites they are now.
To be fair, that was 50 years ago. Most of the people who were complaining back then are dead now.

some directional school in Michigan.
The very same directional school that knocked off the 2021 Panthers.

You're comparing finished products to developing talent. That's great if you're content with having a Pitt basketball ceiling. Let's go get Old Man Cummings to run the point.

The formula has been the same for Jones, Twyman, Kancey, and I don't know how many other d-linemen here:

You redshirt as a true freshman... check

You flash as a redshirt freshman... check

You go off as a redshirt sophomore.

He is a 4-star talent who was literally on track to do just that and almost certainly get drafted, and you want to compare him to 23-year-olds at Youngstown State?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT