ADVERTISEMENT

Okunlola Portaling

The very same directional school that knocked off the 2021 Panthers.
You are proving my point. There isn’t much talent difference between Pitt and some of the schools below us. Paul Chryst lost to f’in Youngstown St. I was there and they were the better team. It wasn’t a fluke.

We had exactly 1 guy on the entire roster make the All-ACC team. MJ was 2nd Team.

I’m not saying losing Sammy is a good thing, but there are a lot of guys playing at smaller schools that are better than what we had this year. The 2 stud DL for FSU came from Albany and some directional school in Michigan.
Nobody good is coming here at this point lol. You've said it yourself, there isn't adequate financial support.

Last edited:
You are proving my point. There isn’t much talent difference between Pitt and some of the schools below us. Paul Chryst lost to f’in Youngstown St. Just about every Pitt coach over the last 40 years has had losses to no-name teams.

No you're way off. Great offensive efficiency/QB play (which Western Michigan had on that day) can mask a lot of things. But look no further than the B12 standings if you think there isn't a talent discrepancy in the P5 vs G5. All those teams that jumped up a level can be found at the bottom, because they don't have P5 rosters yet.

And in 2022, Pitt has more talent/depth than anyone on its schedule, with the possible exception of like two teams. That's why we went 9-4 even with the QB debacle.

If you wanna a build a roster using players from a league where Shocky can have almost 1,000 yards receiving and Judson Tallandier can start every game at CB, you're not going very far.

Reactions: Pittnerski
No body good is coming here at this point lol. You've said it yourself, there isn't adequate financial support.
They will fill out their roster by grabbing guys from the MAC, 2/3rd stringers from bigger schools, etc. It is what is.

They will fill out their roster by grabbing guys from the MAC, 2/3rd stringers from bigger schools, etc. It is what is.
Right. My point is it isn't necessarily the best idea to send everyone packing. There's still room to get worse so be careful what you wish for.

Right. My point is it isn't necessarily the best idea to send everyone packing. There's still room to get worse so be careful what you wish for.
I’m not advocating for getting rid of everyone. Pitt has a limited NIL and has to make decisions. It sucks, but it is what it is.

You are proving my point. There isn’t much talent difference between Pitt and some of the schools below us. Paul Chryst lost to f’in Youngstown St. I was there and they were the better team. It wasn’t a fluke.
Not really. You just picked out 2 guys who will be first round draft picks who happened to play their first 4 years at smaller programs. Those are outliers, they would be stars anywhere, they're not representative of MAC or FCS talent level. You can't replace 5 ACC guys with 5 MAC guys and expect it to be a wash.

Not really. You just picked out 2 guys who will be first round draft picks who happened to play their first 4 years at smaller programs. Those are outliers, they would be stars anywhere, they're not representative of MAC or FCS talent level. You can't replace 5 ACC guys with 5 MAC guys and expect it to be a wash.

I guess this will be the 2023 version of the dudes who point to Khalil Mack and Josh Allen while insisting 2-stars are just as useful as 5-stars. Some people don't comprehend the concept of an anomaly.

I’d rather okunlola be a panther, but if he wants to play with his brother, then so be it. The portal sucks but not because some guy wants to play w his brother

Face it, this is not the college ball we grew up with. This is now the pro minor leagues with 90 programs being minor leagues for about 15 top programs.

Yeah, I mean this is unlike anything else we've ever seen. The people who say, "It's always been like this; it's just out in the open now" are clueless. Recruiting advantages have always existed - yes. But the way around it was to identify and develop under the radar talent, as well as adding a few big fish.

Now, it doesn't matter what the hell you do. This would be like if every MLB player was on a one-year contract and the Yankees could just shake the Pirates down every year, as if the pre-existing advantages weren't enough.

I really don't know if this will stop until fans quit watching, sadly.
Big time programs have always had boosters throwing money around to players. The difference is now the players can leave if somebody offers more....and play right away

Big time programs have always had boosters throwing money around to players. The difference is now the players can leave if somebody offers more....and play right away

Exactly, but to pretend like it isn't different is flat out naive. Plus the money is higher than ever before as there are literally no barriers whereas before it was at least illegal which might have kept certain boosters at bay, and the Joe Average fans are involved.

I guess this will be the 2023 version of the dudes who point to Khalil Mack and Josh Allen while insisting 2-stars are just as useful as 5-stars. Some people don't comprehend the concept of an anomaly.
Individual elite talent comes from all over the place. The NFL is full of impact guys from smaller programs. But the team talent gap between an average MAC school and and average P5 school is obviously substantial, especially when you get into the quality of the depth.

Not based on his play this year! Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to keep him. We will also get players in the portal.
He was a RS freshman who flashed brightly at the P5 level. That typically means in 3 years he’s an nfl prospect.

We had exactly 1 guy on the entire roster make the All-ACC team. MJ was 2nd Team.

I’m not saying losing Sammy is a good thing, but there are a lot of guys playing at smaller schools that are better than what we had this year. The 2 stud DL for FSU came from Albany and some directional school in Michigan.
He’s a loss in the sense that he showed some potential. But he’s still needs to get a lot stronger and develop further. Hayes showed far more potential earlier in his career If he was a sure thing I doubt CP would have sat him as much as he did. It’s not like Pitt had the talent at the position like they did in the past.

Clearly the kid is transferring to cash in. Nothing wrong with that. I don’t blame any kid who wants to cash in on their ability Welcome to todays minor league football

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT