ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State Game & Other Dribbles ...

Right now unless the twins start making threes there’s not anyone on the bench who can spark the team and carry the load . Hopefully Lowe can become that man .
The twins are making threes though. JDG is 5/10 and GDg is 5/15. Both have the same number of makes as Austin… If all 3 can stay around 35 percent each for the year that will be huge.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Him actually bringing the ball up the court helps -
Him not recognizing to slow down and get the ball to a guard is what hurts .
That can be the next step
He’s just trying to go faster than he can
Yeah I think he was trying to show what he “thinks” he can do, sort of like Hinson. That should get better if JC can sell the team concept again.

I think the more the twins shoot 3s the more proficient they will become. Would love to see more kick-outs to Jorge.

Go Pitt.

I think the more the twins shoot 3s the more proficient they will become. Would love to see more kick-outs to Jorge.

Go Pitt.

For Jorge to make 3's, he actually has to do something... Shoot the ball!!!

Jorge is shooting the ball at almost 70% from the field this year. He has the highest true shooting percentage on the entire roster currently. The last 2 games, he took 4 shots, making 2 of them.

And I agree with you 100%. We need far more dribble penetration and far more kick outs to open shooters.

Every time GDiaz puts the ball on the floor he hurts the team.
In his defense, against Florida a lot of those plays could have been fouls. Not in his defense, he needs to learn to be stronger on the ball. Some of it is strength and some of it is decisiveness.

It gets lost because people remember seeing him at the end of the season last year, but he really did not play much at all last year. The bulk of his minutes were after Fede was hurt and it was not a ton of games. He still does not have much experience at this level.

I would rather him have these issues now and work through them as opposed to them occurring later. I am fine with him putting the ball on the floor, he just needs to learn when and when not to do it.

You do not want to handcuff guys as skilled as him, Jorge and Lowe in terms of their ability to do more things and get comfortable; you want them to go through the struggles early and hopefully more in games where there is a lot of talent disparity so it has minimal impact on your record.

Here are the actual scores against Diaz Graham in that Florida game.

2 points in transition defense by Richard on a full blown coverage by Pitt’s defense. Diaz Graham is not responsible for a 6'4 guard.

2 points by Condon on an unguardable sky hook. This shot made by Condon would have been scored against any center in the entire country. This kid is talented.

2 points by Condon when Condon caught the ball 2 feet away from the basket. Had Jaland Lowe actually not allowed dribble penetration and had Lowe not gotten fully beat off the bounce after colliding with one of our own players, this whole play doesn’t happen.

2 points off a Diaz Graham turnover and transition finish. This is 100% on Diaz Graham and was a terrible mistake that can't be made in a game like this.

2 points by Condon. Kugel beat Carrington off the dribble and attacked the middle, a failure by Carrington for both giving up the middle and getting beat off the bounce. Diaz Graham tried to close down the middle after Carrington's failure, pass made to Condon, 2 points

2 points by Samuel. He beat Diaz Graham 1 on 1 with no help by any Pitt player on a great move by Samuel. And Samuel, as a 5th year senior, is proving to be a really good player. He did the same stuff against Baylor, Florida State, and Virginia.

So the total amount of points given up by Diaz Graham in this game that Diaz Graham was directly responsible for was 6.

Ive now watched every Florida basket in this game 3 times. Im tempted to do the same exercise here for Blake Hinson, Fede, and a few others. Fede had his own massive issues with Condon and Samuel. And Blake Hinson had mistakes all over the place.

But there was so many bonehead mistakes by our entire team in this game its not really worth doing it. But I wanted to watch the entire thing again just to focus on Diaz Graham since there is all this smoke about how many points Graham was responsible for. The answer is 6 total against Florida. Blake Hinson has that beat just at the end of the 2 halves against Florida in the last 1:30 seconds, where Hinson was responsible for 8 just by himself.

Here are the actual scores against Diaz Graham in that Florida game.

2 points in transition defense by Richard on a full blown coverage by Pitt’s defense. Diaz Graham is not responsible for a 6'4 guard.

2 points by Condon on an unguardable sky hook. This shot made by Condon would have been scored against any center in the entire country. This kid is talented.

2 points by Condon when Condon caught the ball 2 feet away from the basket. Had Jaland Lowe actually not allowed dribble penetration and had Lowe not gotten fully beat off the bounce after colliding with one of our own players, this whole play doesn’t happen.

2 points off a Diaz Graham turnover and transition finish. This is 100% on Diaz Graham and was a terrible mistake that can't be made in a game like this.

2 points by Condon. Kugel beat Carrington off the dribble and attacked the middle, a failure by Carrington for both giving up the middle and getting beat off the bounce. Diaz Graham tried to close down the middle after Carrington's failure, pass made to Condon, 2 points

2 points by Samuel. He beat Diaz Graham 1 on 1 with no help by any Pitt player on a great move by Samuel. And Samuel, as a 5th year senior, is proving to be a really good player. He did the same stuff against Baylor, Florida State, and Virginia.

So the total amount of points given up by Diaz Graham in this game that Diaz Graham was directly responsible for was 6.

Ive now watched every Florida basket in this game 3 times. Im tempted to do the same exercise here for Blake Hinson, Fede, and a few others. Fede had his own massive issues with Condon and Samuel. And Blake Hinson had mistakes all over the place.

But there was so many bonehead mistakes by our entire team in this game its not really worth doing it. But I wanted to watch the entire thing again just to focus on Diaz Graham since there is all this smoke about how many points Graham was responsible for. The answer is 6 total against Florida. Blake Hinson has that beat just at the end of the 2 halves against Florida in the last 1:30 seconds, where Hinson was responsible for 8 just by himself.
FWIW, my post was about Guillermo on offense.

Minus Blake Hinson who refuses to rebound and Im going to continue to call him out on it until he actually does it.

I don't know why this guy keeps getting a free pass every game by so many people after putting up bad stats the last 2 games across the board on offense, on defense, and on the glass. Does Hinson get some type of free pass that no one else on the team gets?

Hinson had 2 rebounds today. Against Florida, he had 3 total rebounds. He is our starting power forward that just averaged about 35 minutes per game the last 2 games. And he averaged 2.5 rebounds per game in those games.

For the season, Hinson has a DR rebound rate of 11. That is entering "pathetic" territory for a power forward. He is averaging 4.7 rebounds per game for the season.

Im not digging into your post at all. I am absolutely ripping Hinson until he actually plays better defense and rebounds better.

I am looking forward to the day Papa Kante returns. Our rebounding minus Hinson has been pretty strong. It can be in Elite territory with Kante.

I don't think Blake is going to read your post .. calling him out isn't going to fix anything with his lack of reboudning.

He gets a pass because he's very clearly the best shooter on this team and has earned the right to shoot at basically any moment. If you want to put Blake in a box and tell him he can't shoot certain shots, you're doing a major disservice to your team.

How many guys do you feel comfortable with scoring right now? Blake. Ish. Carrington. That's it .. when those guys aren't in, offense is HARD to come by .. so yeah, if Hinson is open, fire the shot. It's a no brainer. Actually complaining about him shooting is arguably the dumbest thing I've read today.

It's silly to even discuss this because Hinson
clearly has a green light from Capel to shoot
wheneve he's open or whenever he feels he
can score. If that's the case, it's more on
Capel than on Hinson. I'm not criticizing
Capel at this point. Hinson has the past
numbers to support this green light.
However, if Hinson keeps throwing up
shots whenever he pleases, I'd suggest
Capel turn that green light to yellow.
When you're open take it, but do it
within the flow of the offense. Lately
he's been firing em up....flow or no flow.
Let's see if he adjusts or keeps the status
quo.

It's silly to even discuss this because Hinson
clearly has a green light from Capel to shoot
wheneve he's open or whenever he feels he
can score. If that's the case, it's more on
Capel than on Hinson. I'm not criticizing
Capel at this point. Hinson has the past
numbers to support this green light.
However, if Hinson keeps throwing up
shots whenever he pleases, I'd suggest
Capel turn that green light to yellow.
When you're open take it, but do it
within the flow of the offense. Lately
he's been firing em up....flow or no flow.
Let's see if he adjusts or keeps the status
quo.
But if he has the same shooting average from 3 than 2, he really needs to shoot 15 3s a game rather than 8 and 7-8 drives with off balance shots. That is where the complaints are coming from. I don’t think anyone complains about his 3s because he hits at such a high rate that the risk/reward is justified. For 2 point shots it is likely not the best option.

I don't think Blake is going to read your post .. calling him out isn't going to fix anything with his lack of reboudning.

He gets a pass because he's very clearly the best shooter on this team and has earned the right to shoot at basically any moment. If you want to put Blake in a box and tell him he can't shoot certain shots, you're doing a major disservice to your team.

How many guys do you feel comfortable with scoring right now? Blake. Ish. Carrington. That's it .. when those guys aren't in, offense is HARD to come by .. so yeah, if Hinson is open, fire the shot. It's a no brainer. Actually complaining about him shooting is arguably the dumbest thing I've read today.

What in the world are you even talking about?

My whole post was about Hinson not rebounding the basketball and being non existent on the defensive end during the Florida game and Hinson being by far the worst player that played in that Florida game. My post literally said nothing in regard to Hinson on offense, granted, his offense wasn't good either against Florida or Oregon State for that matter.

I hope you aren't trying to suggest Hinson doesn't have to play defense and rebound.

But if he has the same shooting average from 3 than 2, he really needs to shoot 15 3s a game rather than 8 and 7-8 drives with off balance shots. That is where the complaints are coming from. I don’t think anyone complains about his 3s because he hits at such a high rate that the risk/reward is justified. For 2 point shots it is likely not the best option.
If you reduce it soley to points scored,
and that's a good point...I would agree
with you. However as I watch us play,
I think it hurts us overall because some
of his ill advised shots, might have
been made baskets by someone else.
Also, if one of your team mates is
chucking them up whenever he can.....
well that's not good for team chemistry
even if he is an experienced leader. I'll
be interested to see if he settles it down
a little. I gotta believe Capel can give him
a green light for when he's open, but cool
it a bit when it's not there.

And yes, I agree, he should be looking
for threes. I also believe that's what
Capel wants out of him.

Hinson should not shoot a midrange jumper off the bounce again for the rest of the year. He shot 36% from midrange last year and is 15% from midrange this year. Neither is good. But when he tries off the bounce in the mid range, he isn't remotely close to making one. Carrington is far better here both in the midrange and far better off the bounce.

But. its not just that. Its taking bad shots as a team and making bad decisions as a team (turnovers in such) that not only cost our team on offense, but get our transition defense killed, which I have been talking about almost non stop since the Florida loss.

This is our head coach talking about the Florida game today along with the Oregon State game and a few other things like Guillermo being really sick. And he said we lost the Florida game because of transition defense. Well no kidding, we got outscored 24-2 in fast break points and a lot of those were a result of total bonehead decisions made by our own team on offense, a good number of of which were Blake Hinson.

Maybe, but it's also possible that part of the reason that he would shoot as well from three as from two is that his ability to drive to the basket helps open up his three point game. If instead of 8 threes and 8 twos every game he starts shooting 16 threes and 0 twos every game I think you'd find his three point percentage dropping pretty drastically.

Maybe, but it's also possible that part of the reason that he would shoot as well from three as from two is that his ability to drive to the basket helps open up his three point game. If instead of 8 threes and 8 twos every game he starts shooting 16 threes and 0 twos every game I think you'd find his three point percentage dropping pretty drastically.

Hinson should play a Nate Oates style. Shoot 3's, shoot shots within 5 feet of the basket either by dribble penetration or something else. Abandon the entire midrange game.

Hinson should play a Nate Oates style. Shoot 3's, shoot shots within 5 feet of the basket either by dribble penetration or something else. Abandon the entire midrange game.

I have no problem with that, but he just can't give up drives to the basket entirely in favor of threes. Guys who only do one thing are a lot easier to guard than guys who do more than one thing.

I have no problem with that, but he just can't give up drives to the basket entirely in favor of threes. Guys who only do one thing are a lot easier to guard than guys who do more than one thing.

He's been effective on drives to the hoop, so there is no reason to give that up. He just needs to read the defense better sometimes and not drive into 3 guys.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
His drives to the hoop have been a
mixed bag this yr. Some have been
outta control bull rushes. What I would
like to see him do when he drives, is
give it up when it's not there. Again,
play within the flow, and take what's
there. Of course an offensive rebound
for a put back ain't bad either. A little
more diversity out of his offensive
game would probably help this team
a lot. But make no mistake, his real