ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Alumni Groups

MorningCoffee13

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2023
Have any of you been involved in forming an alumni group where you live. Obviously I mean that you live somewhere not close to the rolling hills of the laurel mountains.

Have any of you been involved in forming an alumni group where you live. Obviously I mean that you live somewhere not close to the rolling hills of the laurel mountains.
I've been involved in some clubs.

I'd recommend first finding a few interested people willing to be involved.

Then contact the Pitt Alumni Association (see here: https://www.alumni.pitt.edu/s/1729/alumni/interior.aspx?sid=1729&gid=2&pgid=3146)

Think about holding some meetings to plan some events...game watches, freshman send off picnics, whatever.

Besides just having some fun events for local alumni of fans, an ultimate longer-term goal may be to try to, over the years, raise some money for start a scholarship fund for high school students from your local area that want to attend Pitt. That's not a requirement, but some clubs have done that and it can give a sense of purpose to the club.

I've been involved in some clubs.

I'd recommend first finding a few interested people willing to be involved.

Then contact the Pitt Alumni Association (see here: https://www.alumni.pitt.edu/s/1729/alumni/interior.aspx?sid=1729&gid=2&pgid=3146)

Think about holding some meetings to plan some events...game watches, freshman send off picnics, whatever.

Besides just having some fun events for local alumni of fans, an ultimate longer-term goal may be to try to, over the years, raise some money for start a scholarship fund for high school students from your local area that want to attend Pitt. That's not a requirement, but some clubs have done that and it can give a sense of purpose to the club.
I get that. I am trying to see if Alumni association has names of folks in my general area who I can politely contact. I figure if they have provided alumni association with their contact info then they have some level of interest.

I get that. I am trying to see if Alumni association has names of folks in my general area who I can politely contact. I figure if they have provided alumni association with their contact info then they have some level of interest.
From the Alumni Association site, log into Pitt Commons (or via here https://commons.pitt.edu).

You can search by location under "Explore the Community".

Otherwise, reach out to the Alumni Association contact for regional clubs and ask if they have any other info that they can provide. Back when I was involved, they would send blast emails or mailings on behalf of established clubs once or twice a year. I don't know if they still do that. They aren't likely to just hand out a contact list for your direct use though...too likely to be abused, but they may have advice. Regardless, they need to learn who you are and what you are interested in doing. It's been many years since I've been involved and a lot has changed, including the people in the PAA.

If you get any responses to reaching out to other people, start collecting their contact email for your own distribution list though.

Really, IMO, you can run a decent club if you just have 4 or 5 people willing to help with events.

Reactions: MorningCoffee13
Yes, several. I participated in the New England (Boston/Hartford) chapter as well as Chicago; I was more involved (as a minor officer of) in the Cincinnati/Columbus/Dayton chapter; participated in the SW and SE Florida chapters; and now attend some of the Greater Phoenix chapter game watches.

@CrazyPaco gave you all the right links to connect with the mother ship. I know a lot of new rules and regulations are in place due to the NCAA restrictions for clubs ... but I've met many great folks through the Pitt Alumni clubs over the years, and some remain close friends. It's worth a go. Where are you at?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT