ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Consecutive Album Releases?

Some that immediatly come to mind for me, and also some of my favorite bands.

Nirvana - Nevermind & In Utero
Metallica - Ride the Lightning & Master of Puppets
Sabbath - Paranoid & Master of Reality
Pearl Jam - Ten & Vs.
Take your pick of early Zeppelin albums
True on Zep. I am not sure which two albums to pick for back to back. They were all great up till Presence.

Reactions: Seneca_Valley
Chicago 1 and 2. Epic double albums.
Led Zeppelin 1-4. Back to back to back to back greatness.
Chicago was amazing for the first two albums. Terry Kath was just a phenomenal guitarist. Zep's House's of the Holy and Physical Graffiti were great in their own way, so I would say Zep 1-6.

Beatles its unfair 7 beyond great albums in a row in a span of less than 5 years from Hards Day Night through the White Album. Think about the evolution and revolution in that short time span there is nothing even remotely similar. On another group how about the who again tough to pick 2 but I would go with Tommy and Whos Next or Whos Next and Quadrephenia.

I have no problem calling B2R his best. But I think his next two best are Nebraska and Born in the USA. And I'd say there are plenty of RIGHT answers, but certain WRONG answers too.

the hill I'm willing to take a stand on is The Rising is the best Bruce album, followed by Tunnel of Love. I didn't include since they weren't consecutive.

No one picked anything from Taylor Swift? Says more about us on Panther-lair than any particular albums.

Vanilla Ice: To the Extreme and Mind Blowin
tenor.gif

The roots
Illadelph half-life to Things fall apart to phrenology to tipping point to game theory
All killer

The Cure disintegration. To Wish
Precluded by Kiss me , kiss Me, kiss me and followed by Wild Mood swings

In my opinion Tom petty had one of the greatest trifectas in full moon fever, into the great wide open and wildflowers.

Newer Aerosmith pump and get a grip were pretty solid cover to cover.

Joni Mitchell - ladies of the canyon and blue

Cat Steven’s - tea for tillerman and teaser and the firecat

Metallica - masters and and justice for all

Yes - fragile and close to the edge

Nevermore - dreaming neon black and dead heart in a dead world

Absolutely...but as a corgan apologist I think all of their work is amazing. I mean Atum is 33 songs deep. The sheer amount of creativity in that dude is amazing in my opinion.

I would also throw the first 3 rage albums as brilliant. In fact I would say Rages untitled debut is absolutely fabulous with all killer tracks.

RTG 3 and 4 was a good choice above as well.
Killing in the name of? I see what you did there.

the hill I'm willing to take a stand on is The Rising is the best Bruce album, followed by Tunnel of Love. I didn't include since they weren't consecutive.

The Rising is a little too bloated for my tastes. Paradise and Nothing Man are two of my favorite underrated gems, and there are some other great ones on it. But I'd drop four or five songs that made it onto the album and add American Skin (he recorded this during The Rising sessions but obviously didn't include it).

As post-2000 Bruce albums go, The Rising, Magic, and Western Stars (probably the closest thing he's made to a Tunnel of Love comp, in my opinion) are still really, really good. You usually don't get that quality from artists over 50 (and almost 70 in the case of Western Stars). A lot of people love Wrecking Ball, too, but I'm not one of them. I dig Devils & Dust and Letter to You, but I don't put them in the class of the aforementioned three.

The Rising is a little too bloated for my tastes. Paradise and Nothing Man are two of my favorite underrated gems, and there are some other great ones on it. But I'd drop four or five songs that made it onto the album and add American Skin (he recorded this during The Rising sessions but obviously didn't include it).

As post-2000 Bruce albums go, The Rising, Magic, and Western Stars (probably the closest thing he's made to a Tunnel of Love comp, in my opinion) are still really, really good. You usually don't get that quality from artists over 50 (and almost 70 in the case of Western Stars). A lot of people love Wrecking Ball, too, but I'm not one of them. I dig Devils & Dust and Letter to You, but I don't put them in the class of the aforementioned three.

switch American Skin and Waiting for a Sunny Day

Same, but Nirvana is a pretty average punk/grunge band if you take Nevermind and the mystique surrounding Kurt Cobain's early passing away.

Obviously Nevermind still counts; I'm just saying their other works can't really hold a candle to it.

The musicians I know seem to think Bleach is Nirvana's best album, Dave Grohl says that's his favorite Nirvana album. Commercially speaking, it's obvious that Nevermind is in a class of it's own.

The Cure disintegration. To Wish
Precluded by Kiss me , kiss Me, kiss me and followed by Wild Mood swings
You had me at Disintegration but Wish was too poppy for me. I’d definitely go with Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss me. There’s not a day that goes by where a couple of those songs don’t find their way to my ears regardless of what platform I’m listening to…even more so than Disintegration songs. And that’s saying something because I think Disintegration is a top 5 album of all time.

I’d also go with REM Out of Time and Automatic For the People.

What are the best two albums ever released back to back by a band or artist?

For me, nothing will ever come close to topping Born to Run and Darkness On the Edge of Town. But what are some others?
Jethro Tull 4-banger: Stand Up - Benefit - Aqualung - Thick As A Brick. Sheer genius... for thinking men.

Reactions: cruzer
Alice In Chains: Dirt to Jar of Flies

The Who: Tommy to Whose Next or Whose Next to Quardrophina.

Stone Temple Pilots: Core to Purple

Black Flag: Damaged to My War

Johnny Cash: Folsom to San Quinten

Misfits: Walk Among Us to Earth AD

Van Halen I to Van Halen II
Love the Van Halen love. Van Halen 1 was one of the most revolutionary albums in rock history. No one had heard a guitar like EVH’s before. But VH2 was ehh…

I bet this is blasphemy to you but I’d go with 5150 and OU812 back to back. And a trifecta with F.U.C.K.

Reactions: BTisinDC
You had me at Disintegration but Wish was too poppy for me. I’d definitely go with Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss me. There’s not a day that goes by where a couple of those songs don’t find their way to my ears regardless of what platform I’m listening to…even more so than Disintegration songs. And that’s saying something because I think Disintegration is a top 5 album of all time.

I’d also go with REM Out of Time and Automatic For the People.
The trifecta of Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain and Woowee Zowee in the early mid 90's was pretty strong.

Reactions: OH Pete
The musicians I know seem to think Bleach is Nirvana's best album, Dave Grohl says that's his favorite Nirvana album. Commercially speaking, it's obvious that Nevermind is in a class of it's own.

They seem to draw the ire of a lot of musicians. Seems there is no shortage of YouTube videos tearing Kurt's lack of guitar skills to bits.

Nonetheless, I get why people might think that Bleach is better in retrospect. If I were to go back and listen to The Offspring and Green Day (two of my favorite bands as a kid), I would choose Ignition and Kerplunk over Smash and Dookie, just because they feel more organic to me now. Not sure if they actually are or if I've just developed a perception of the latter two based on decades of their material getting so much radio play.

Seems like every great band or artist has an exceptional string of 3 or 4 or 5 albums. Not going to list all my choices, many of which have already been mentioned.

For two consecutive albums that were extraordinary, I'm going to say George Harrison's All Things Must Pass and Concert For Bangladesh. At a time when most people thought The Beatles were pretty much Lennon and McCartney, Harrison delivered a triple album that is arguably the best Beatles solo album. And while star studded benefits later became rather common place, the Bangladesh concert was unprecedented at the time. That the guy that was considered the Quiet Beatle had the standing in the rock world to put that together was pretty stunning.

I know it's not a genre that appeals to a lot of people but Miles Davis In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew are seminal releases that began the Jazz Fusion movement.

Also Weather Report: Black Market and Heavy Weather

Reactions: HOF Coach
Interesting that Stevie Wonder hasn't been mentioned. He had three consecutive albums that won the Grammy for best album three times in four years.

Reactions: TheSeldomSeenKid
The Eagles:

One of these Nights:

Hotel California:

The Long Run:

Not an Eagles fan, but my brother let me listen to a really cool voicemail his friend sent him. His friend owns a drum shop, and I guess the Eagles' drummer stopped in while they were in Pittsburgh. So he must have gotten my brother's friend's number, and then he called him to offer him free tickets and whatnot the day of the show. Mentioned they were going to see PNC Park at the time of the call, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT