ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best/Favorite Sushi places in the Pgh Area?

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
Before I post mine and comments, I want to hear yours. Maybe you guys got some places I am missing. I more into special maki rolls than I used to be, but I hate those maki rolls layered with some mayonnaise concoction.

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks all for participating. Afterall, there is so much football stuff going on, especially with the open and honest Narduzzi approach to spring practices.

Anyways.......I guess my 3 "go to" are:
1) Mola
2) Little Tokyo
3) Yama in Cranberry (because it is closest to me and they do it well).

Things I find boring/off putting about many local sushi places.
1) I want other fish than salmon/tuna/shimp/hamachi which is the go to for 90%of nigiri/sashimi. There are many more fish in the sea.
2) Size. Man, there is nothing worse than a piece of fish that is hugely cut (thick) and it is chewy and mushy and not present. This is one time "jumbo" is not better.
3) Lack of understanding the grain. Especially in tuna. If it is cut the wrong way you get gristle and too chewy.
4) Rice is important. As sushi is "rice". It shouldn't be cold. It needs to be room temperature. And not overly seasoned with vinegar, but not bone dry either.
5) Freshness is a given.
6) Another annoying complaint.......on the "special maki rolls" the preponderance of mayonnaise based sauces smothering the roll. I am not ordering tuna salad. Leave it for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT