ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bridge Collapse in Baltimore

How do you think the average American would react if they found out the ship's navigation was hacked by China, Russia, Iran, or North Korea? Do you want a war...because I don't want American blood being spilled over a bridge.

How do you think the average American would react if they found out the ship's navigation was hacked by China, Russia, Iran, or North Korea? Do you want a war...because I don't want American blood being spilled over a bridge.
gee, and here I just thought it was an ill maintained ship from Asia that lost power and could not correct course and never thought it would go full scale Patrick Swayze Red Dawn in less than 48 hours... As for me, WOLVERINES !!!!

btw, if your potential, albeit Jack Ryan'ish, theory is correct, American blood has already been spilled over a bridge...

Last edited:
That's what message boards are for. I don't know much about bridges and never claimed that I did. Some just seems more robust than others. Perhaps height is the main reason for the difference.
It's more than that. It has to do with the design, and neither of the bridges you referenced were built to take a hit from a 3 million pound shipping vessel. I don't think the Brooklyn Bridge's rigid stone facade was going to hold up either. Rigid designs don't handle large impacts well.

There are a lot of things that can happen, and you can't design against everything. If you did, nothing would ever get built.

It's more than that. It has to do with the design, and neither of the bridges you referenced were built to take a hit from a 3 million pound shipping vessel. I don't think the Brooklyn Bridge's rigid stone facade was going to hold up either. Rigid designs don't handle large impacts well.

There are a lot of things that can happen, and you can't design against everything. If you did, nothing would ever get built.
I don't think people understand how big that ship is, if you stood it up it'd be around 150 feet taller than the US Steel Building, its taking down whatever it hits.

It sounds to me like there are possible solutions to limit this from happening again, as referenced in the tweet posted previously.

Well I guess we will all have to buy electric cars from now on......what's that Darrell, they are most made in China!

He was screaming that this was the start of WWIII, basically an Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand moment.

Everything is the beginning of WWIII. Honestly, I truly believe people are looking forward to it just for the entertainment value and that's why you hear all the time about how WWIII has already begun or will begin like next week. Some people crave chaos. BTW, heard a great quote. Something like I'm not sure what weapons will be used in WWIII but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I don't think people understand how big that ship is, if you stood it up it'd be around 150 feet taller than the US Steel Building, its taking down whatever it hits.
gettyimages-2115097543-eeae6bbaa8e628576b83e1d08e07caadbc044339-s1100-c50.jpg

Bingo. Freaking look at this thing. It is a floating city block with a dozen 8 story buildings stacked on top of it. Absolutely no bridge was going to survive a direct hit from this monster.

Well again, my Internet post above. It seemed like this was one everyone accepted as an accident. Then time happened, and the usual suspects started their theories and that is enough for some of these folks.
It's very easy to break down from an engineering perspective; something very big ran into something very small. Small thing fell down.

The whole hacking the ship to start WWIII conspiracy theory should be one even the most hard core conspiracy theorists say "nah, not this one." What does knocking down an antiquated bridge in the middle of the night gain Russia, China, North Korea, the Illuminati, Pentaverate and so on? Sure the port will be shut down for a few weeks, but after they clear the remains of the bridge away in a month things will be running again, a new more modern bridge will be built with a clearance that'll allow even bigger ships to use the port, how do any of these things equal the start of WWIII or benefit the groups listed above?
The reason why you don't hack ships and start knocking down bridges is because you also have ships and bridges to lose. You think China wants us to hack one of their ships? Or their dams? That's why they hack us in ways that we can't really respond to on a tit for tat basis (e.g., stealing technology, subverting elections, reducing trust in banking, etc.).

Ships lost propulsion and crashed before the advent of hacking. As I mentioned yesterday, sometimes bad things just happen. People should use Occam's Razor as the starting point for analysis before huffing from Alex Jones's lunch bag of paint vapors.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

Bingo. Freaking look at this thing. It is a floating city block with a dozen 8 story buildings stacked on top of it. Absolutely no bridge was going to survive a direct hit from this monster.

I think we all understand how massive cargo ships can be. It just seems to me that the bridge is kind of a sitting duck if a ship that size veers off course. In that pic above I see power lines that are protected by some sort of wall. I am not saying that this barriers would have stopped the ship, but it seems to be that there should be something there. When they rebuild a new bridge at the site, I bet we get barriers or bumpers of some kind.

I was on floor 10 of a hotel along the Savannah river and when I looked out my window, I was eye level with the top third of the container load. That is like a 12-15 story building.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
It's more than that. It has to do with the design, and neither of the bridges you referenced were built to take a hit from a 3 million pound shipping vessel.
You are drastically underestimating the weight of a fully loaded container ship. You are missing a few zeros. This is a 250 million pound ship.

You are drastically underestimating the weight of a fully loaded container ship. You are missing a few zeros. This is a 250 million pound ship.
You are correct. I saw or heard that number thrown around somewhere and didn't put any thought into it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT