ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Easter Chocolate

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
Holy crimony. I might as well been buying authentic Kobe Beef or some rare species of king crab. 3 boxes (normal size), 3 of those medium sized eggs, some trinkets for the kids......$175.

I have no idea why it is that expensive. But that's obscene. Not making it a political statement at all. But you can tell the truth.

definite examples of product shrinkage this year. The large chocolate eggs aren't so large but cost the same if not more than last year. This from the holy trinity of yinzer chocolate...Betsy Ann, Sarris, Anderson.

I have no idea why it is that expensive. But that's obscene. Not making it a political statement at all. But you can tell the truth.

Supply and demand. I know people dont want to hear this but the economy is absolutely sizzling. People are making more money than they ever have and there's a lot of spending power out there. Its also true that a lot of folks are going into debt via credit cards to keep up their current lifestyle. But the bottom line is that Americans simply cant stop spending. You can try, you can make Easter Chocolate a thoudand dollars or charge $5/bottle for those Prime drinks but its not going to stop Americans from buying. Ever since Covid, Americans have gone absolutely nuts buying up everything at whatever price you ask. I commented on the other board that the secondary market prices for the NC State/Oakland and Creighton/Oregon doubleheader were $350/ticket for lowers and $200/ticket for nosebleeds. 4 non-brand name, non-local teams and Yinzers couldn't stay away. They'd pay any amount to get into that. Its kinda crazy actually

Supply and demand. I know people dont want to hear this but the economy is absolutely sizzling. People are making more money than they ever have and there's a lot of spending power out there. Its also true that a lot of folks are going into debt via credit cards to keep up their current lifestyle. But the bottom line is that Americans simply cant stop spending. You can try, you can make Easter Chocolate a thoudand dollars or charge $5/bottle for those Prime drinks but its not going to stop Americans from buying. Ever since Covid, Americans have gone absolutely nuts buying up everything at whatever price you ask. I commented on the other board that the secondary market prices for the NC State/Oakland and Creighton/Oregon doubleheader were $350/ticket for lowers and $200/ticket for nosebleeds. 4 non-brand name, non-local teams and Yinzers couldn't stay away. They'd pay any amount to get into that. Its kinda crazy actually
I checked the day before the game and tickets were $66 for upper bowl.

Cocoa futures soared to a fresh record level of $9,900 a ton, extending the March gains to about 54% and the year-to-date surge to more than 130%, as poor harvest in top producing countries Ivory Coast and Ghana led to supply shortages. El Niño brought heavy rains in December, leading to crop damage and the spread of black pod disease. Subsequent extreme heat, aging cocoa trees, and illegal mining further reduced production. Ghana has revised its cocoa production forecast down to 650,000 tons from 850,000 for the current year. Recent reports also indicated that certain cocoa plants in Ivory Coast and Ghana have either halted or reduced processing activities because they could not afford to buy beans. Meanwhile, the Ivory Coast cocoa regulator said it expects the Ivory Coast mid-crop, which officially starts in April and is the smaller of two annual harvests, to fall 33% to 400,000 MT from 600,000 MT last year.​

I checked the day before the game and tickets were $66 for upper bowl.

Maybe the 1st Round. Not the 2nd Round. I checked many many times starting directly after the UK loss. They dropped initially right after the UK loss then skyrocketed.

It's not a political complaint that you are trying to make it. It was just an (surprising) observation.

It's not a political complaint that you are trying to make it. It was just an (surprising) observation.

I don't think its political at all. I have always said the POTUS isn't responsible for how good or not good the economy is. Morons want to assign praise or blame to the POTUS. Just saying the economy is tremendous right now and prices arent going to come down until people stop spending and they cant stop spending. Was at the mall tonight and it was jam packed like it was 1988. Like stepping into a time warp. People cant stop buying.

Not as controversial as the monsters that buy the cheap ass, hollow Easter bunnies, for their kids.
yes, the kiddies love those raspberry cream filled centers of a Werner's Sampler....Got to get them the solid Jesus nailed to the cross chocolates to remind them of the season...

Reactions: pittdan77
If you dig peanut butter and chocolate combinations, and haven't tried Gardners Candies (now a subsidiary of Sarris) peanut butter Meltaways, do yourself a favor get some....now available at many Sheetz; you'll never go back to anything else.

Also, look for The Meadows chocolate peanut butter frozen custard (not the yogurt).

Reactions: USN_Panther

Cocoa futures soared to a fresh record level of $9,900 a ton, extending the March gains to about 54% and the year-to-date surge to more than 130%, as poor harvest in top producing countries Ivory Coast and Ghana led to supply shortages. El Niño brought heavy rains in December, leading to crop damage and the spread of black pod disease. Subsequent extreme heat, aging cocoa trees, and illegal mining further reduced production. Ghana has revised its cocoa production forecast down to 650,000 tons from 850,000 for the current year. Recent reports also indicated that certain cocoa plants in Ivory Coast and Ghana have either halted or reduced processing activities because they could not afford to buy beans. Meanwhile, the Ivory Coast cocoa regulator said it expects the Ivory Coast mid-crop, which officially starts in April and is the smaller of two annual harvests, to fall 33% to 400,000 MT from 600,000 MT last year.​

Thanks, this helps to explain things. I mean this was good chocolate from a small family shop that we used to get when I was kids. But I was just completely blown away at the pricing.

If you dig peanut butter and chocolate combinations, and haven't tried Gardners Candies (now a subsidiary of Sarris) peanut butter Meltaways, do yourself a favor get some....now available at many Sheetz; you'll never go back to anything else.

Also, look for The Meadows chocolate peanut butter frozen custard (not the yogurt).
I don't know anything about Gardners Candies, but Sarris has had their own delicious peanut butter meltaways for years

Reactions: USN_Panther
Anyone ever go to Gene and Boots for Easter chocolate? Or the store in Canonsburg?
Do you mean the Sarris store in Canonsburg?

If so, I go all the time to the Sarris store. However, I go for the ice cream shop they have in the candy store. Tremendous chocolate ice cream, among other tasty flavors. The candy store has a little more variety than you get at a grocery store that carries Sarris products (like the GE display), but honestly it's not that impressive. It's not like the Hersehy store at Hershey Park or anything. You can get a lot of great 'by the pound' products at the counter though, like chocolate covered raisins/coffee beans/oreos/cherries/etc....dozens of things available coated in chocolate.

Gardner's is pretty good. Sarris bought them out, and to their credit, pretty much left Gardner's alone. I personally thing Sarris is better but Gardner's might be the second best in PA.
Sarris bought Gardners in 1997 so they've been together for a while now. Gardners make several products for Sarris that are sold under the Sarris name, so the comparison may not be a different as you think.

The meltaways are original to Gardners, it is really what they are primarily known for and the are by far their biggest seller, and they've started to push them out more regionally and aiming for national distribution (for instance, you can now find them in Sheetz and some other places).

BTW, their lb tray of egg-shapped meltaways (as opposed to the tray of smaller standard squares or other seasonal shapes) is about the perfect ratio of chocolate to meltaway, IMO.

Last edited:
Living in beautiful Westmoreland County, I go to Wilson's in Jeannette. The trick is to wait until the day after Easter. All eggs and related Easter candy is 50% off. That $20 one pound egg is now $10.

Sarris bought Gardners in 1997 so they've been together for a while now. Gardners make several products for Sarris that are sold under the Sarris name, so the comparison may not be a different as you think.

The meltaways are original to Gardners, it is really what they are primarily known for and the are by far their biggest seller, and they've started to push them out more regionally and aiming for national distribution (for instance, you can now find them in Sheetz and some other places).

BTW, their lb tray of egg-shapped meltaways (as opposed to the tray of smaller standard squares or other seasonal shapes) is about the perfect ratio of chocolate to meltaway, IMO.
If it was all the way back in 1997, then yeah the Sarris pb meltways I've been eating for years probably are the Garnders ones co-branded. I thought this was some recent thing.

Supply and demand because of covid morphed into unmitigated greed. Companies realized that they could balloon prices and have a ready made excuse. And they continue to do it. And the general public see these high prices and instinctively blame the president, regardless of who is in the White House at the time. And no president has very much to do with it.

Supply and demand because of covid morphed into unmitigated greed. Companies realized that they could balloon prices and have a ready made excuse. And they continue to do it. And the general public see these high prices and instinctively blame the president, regardless of who is in the White House at the time. And no president has very much to do with it.
haha ever hear of monetary and fiscal policy?

Anyone ever go to Gene and Boots for Easter chocolate? Or the store in Canonsburg?

I probably should have added to Gene & Boots to the yinzer holy trinity of chocolate. I thought they were a little outside of Pittsburgh but I guess in reality not that much different than Sarris or Anderson. I've been to the Canonsburg Sarris, very good ice cream there too. And Gene & Boots is very good. Hard to pick the difference between the 4 of them, my palate isn't that refined. But a heck of a lot better than Hershey's or any crap you get in a convenience store.

Reactions: Farnox
probably me, not a huge pretzel fan. Now if you would have asked about chocolate covered Oreo's...
since others a crying about inflation, why are chocolate covered Oreos so expensive? Regardless of inflation, I just mean relative to the price of other chocolate covered products? Like right now Sarris is $10+ for four chocolate covered Oreos. Same money gets you a whole bag of pretzels or raisins or nuts covered in chocolate.

since others a crying about inflation, why are chocolate covered Oreos so expensive? Regardless of inflation, I just mean relative to the price of other chocolate covered products? Like right now Sarris is $10+ for four chocolate covered Oreos. Same money gets you a whole bag of pretzels or raisins or nuts covered in chocolate.
Well it doesn’t help that Oreo’s, just as everything in the grocery store, is up double digit % in price. I think a regular package of Oreos is now approaching 5.00.

SIAP, every year Sarris Candies has their Easter candy discounted 50% beginning the Monday after Easter. And that includes all candy that’s Easter-related, including their melt-away eggs.

If it was all the way back in 1997, then yeah the Sarris pb meltways I've been eating for years probably are the Gardners ones co-branded. I thought this was some recent thing.
Gardners started selling their meltaways in the 1960s (the company dates back to 1897).

After I've introduced people to them, they seem to start ordering them...and I mean people out in West Coast and places in between. Just can't get anything near as good outside of PA (yet).

Last edited:
oreo's are delicious by themselves, then you add Sarris chocolate to it. Wow, A close second are the deep fried oreo's found at most carny's
My grandfather used to take his empty coffee cans and dump a package or oreos in the can, put the lid on it and refrigerate the cookies. The cookies would then have a hint of coffee smell and flavor. Not too bad.

Reactions: Atilla Cosby
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT