ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gainey going after tax exempt status of Pitt properties

Speaking as an insider here, both UPMC and Highmark are clearly run for profit first, and patient care second. Every provider who works for either entity knows this based on how daily decisions are made and passed down. Nothing matters but profit. Nothing. Spare me the ramblings about charity care: if UPMC could avoid it, they would. It's all lip service.

That said, even though they are "competing", they are also in cahoots when it comes to salaries and benefits paid out to employees. By all metrics local compensation to health care workers is way, way lower than in other parts of the country. Nursing and physician salaries are at 20th percentile or lower in most cases. Not only does this make it difficult for the systems to hire adequate numbers of docs and nurses, but it also hurts the local economy, as every business is affected when the largest employers in a region are paying piddling wages. If Joe is making 20th percentile income, he's not spending much at Bob's furniture store or at Fred's restaurant. At any rate, either side could blow up the salary structure and make it much easier to hire and retain employees, but neither side wants to do that. It's almost a gentleman's agreement.

To further anger you, remember that UPMC is funding hospitals in Europe that they had hoped would be money-generating but instead are money losers. Yet, they refuse to get out of those businesses for reasons that are unclear. We don't need to have local insurance premiums being spent to prop up cancer hospitals in Ireland, but here we are.

I say tax the hell out of them. The beancounters running the show are evil.

The OC lot (yes, you read that right....the former Pitt Stadium tailgate lot): A parking lot used year round for parking of faculty, staff, students, and visitors with a $7 daily rate fee.

UPMC owned Forbes Tower, which is the home to Pitt's School of Rehabilitation Science and other UPMC offices, including its Emergency Medicine division.

Appears to me to be a waste of resources for a weak bit of local political theater. I can only think it is some sort of effort to extract more PILOT payments. I don't see how either of these properties tax exempt status wouldn't hold up in court.
If Pitt cans Gabby Yearwood who embarrassed the University they can probably have enough spare cash to cover it for a year or so...

If Pitt cans Gabby Yearwood who embarrassed the University they can probably have enough spare cash to cover it for a year or so...
In a hypothetical where that was even possible, not worth the shitstorm that would follow. That would be an absolute nightmare. You know where the media would run with that. And they'd loose as many donations as they'd gain, at best.

Is this some sort of terminally-online far-right mumbo jumbo that 99.9% of the human population has no idea about?

Speaking as an insider here, both UPMC and Highmark are clearly run for profit first, and patient care second. Every provider who works for either entity knows this based on how daily decisions are made and passed down. Nothing matters but profit. Nothing. Spare me the ramblings about charity care: if UPMC could avoid it, they would. It's all lip service.

That said, even though they are "competing", they are also in cahoots when it comes to salaries and benefits paid out to employees. By all metrics local compensation to health care workers is way, way lower than in other parts of the country. Nursing and physician salaries are at 20th percentile or lower in most cases. Not only does this make it difficult for the systems to hire adequate numbers of docs and nurses, but it also hurts the local economy, as every business is affected when the largest employers in a region are paying piddling wages. If Joe is making 20th percentile income, he's not spending much at Bob's furniture store or at Fred's restaurant. At any rate, either side could blow up the salary structure and make it much easier to hire and retain employees, but neither side wants to do that. It's almost a gentleman's agreement.

To further anger you, remember that UPMC is funding hospitals in Europe that they had hoped would be money-generating but instead are money losers. Yet, they refuse to get out of those businesses for reasons that are unclear. We don't need to have local insurance premiums being spent to prop up cancer hospitals in Ireland, but here we are.

I say tax the hell out of them. The beancounters running the show are evil.

Well said. And if UPMC is losing money in Ireland you can bet there is a plan where they are probably infesting the political climate to get laws changed.

Reactions: pittdan77
please, the same school that just paid 26k to a guy who dresses up and fantasizes about being a little girl to speak on campus isnt doing anything of the sort. honestly, im expecting pitt to name a building or street after this guy.

pitt makes cal berkeley look conservative. This isnt your father's university anymore..

Reactions: Millerton24
please, the same school that just paid 26k to a guy who dresses up and fantasizes about being a little girl to speak on campus isnt doing anything of the sort. honestly, im expecting pitt to name a building or street after this guy.

pitt makes cal berkeley look conservative. This isnt your father's university anymore..
Let's be clear; the university doesn't usually pay for speakers, unless it is commencement or similar. Individual student groups invite and pay for them.

I don't think you've been to Berkeley.

UPMC provides indigent care as part of the tax free status, as do most other hospitals. If the city really wants to go through with this, UPMC should tell them fine, we are truly for profit, open your own hospital then to care for the homeless, people who can't pay, etc.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If this dolt of a mayor thinks these entities will simply pay whatever tax the city comes up with and nothing else will be cut, changed or reduced, then he’s a bigger idiot than I figured. As far as the parking lots, the employees who park there will end up footing the bill. So much for putting the screws to the big non profits.

The AHA is a lobbying group for hospitals. They are being paid to put out releases like this.

Yeah, they're not much of a charity. No surprise.

I knew the first reply would be an attempt to discredit this study from CrazyPaco.

Bottom line.... UPMC is full of it. They are raking in the cash and executives and board members are making millions.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Bottom line.... UPMC is full of it. They are raking in the cash and executives and board members are making millions.

Profit Deal GIF - Profit Deal Its A Profit Deal GIFs

Reactions: HailtoPitt
UPMC just added a new Dr. to their board with an annual salary of $1 million plus...

dr-dre-live-2022-billboard-pro-1260.jpg

The AHA is a lobbying group for hospitals. They are being paid to put out releases like this.
That is correct. That doesn't mean its points aren't valid or invalid. Members of the AHA include hospitals both high and low on the Lown list.

It is also true that the Lown Institute has a particular social agenda, which also does not automatically disqualify their points.

People can read to decide for themselves. Or should people not have information from both sides or critiquing the methodology?

What likely isn't valid; taking one of the nation's largest multi-hospital integrated systems and "pro-rating" one hospital within it.

Also fact; Gainey's staff member directly championing this report is a former SEIU operative which is not exactly a sign of unbiased neutrality.

UPMC's complete audited financial reports, IRS filings, and bond rating reports are all publicly available for closer examination.

Last edited:
It isn't THE reason. It absolutely is A reason.

It boggles my mind that people can't understand a concept as simple as forcing the two biggest providers of any product (and healthcare most certainly is a product) to compete with each other rather than to collude with each other will tend to drive down prices and increase quality. It is especially curious that someone who just a few weeks ago was railing against monopolies doesn't apparently understand why they are bad.
Because history of insurance rates over 30 years is fairly linear
And western pa isn’t an exception

All insurance companies are vampires who add no value to healthcare

Because history of insurance rates over 30 years is fairly linear
And western pa isn’t an exception

All insurance companies are vampires who add no value to healthcare
Profits are not linear, and have been a windfall since Obamacare. Look no further than what the public insurer's stock has done since 2010.

The flaw is the rates shouldn't continue to be linear when enrollment goes way up. They should have stayed flat or went down. But I agree, they are vampires and will take a gift when presented.

Profits are not linear, and have been a windfall since Obamacare. Look no further than what the public insurer's stock has done since 2010.

The flaw is the rates shouldn't continue to be linear when enrollment goes way up. They should have stayed flat or went down. But I agree, they are vampires and will take a gift when presented.

The flaw is the entire system. We don't need healthcare insurance providers, as we have seen from just about every single other comparable nation. It can be done better, cheaper and cover everybody with single payer.

Their benefits are a joke , and they love to cry poor -
When the executives who are all utterly replaceable rake in millions
It's true. Employees are incredibly unhappy and dissatisfied with all levels of management, most of whom are grossly overpaid while all levels of patient-care workers are paid at insulting rates. We all hoped it would get better when Romoff was fired, but in fact it has gotten worse. There is clearly a massive leadership vacuum at the very top due to gross incompetence and significant petty infighting, along with a number of Machiavellian maneuvers. At least there is some chatter that the board may be finally willing to show some backbone and make changes

Reactions: pittdan77
It's true. Employees are incredibly unhappy and dissatisfied with all levels of management, most of whom are grossly overpaid while all levels of patient-care workers are paid at insulting rates. We all hoped it would get better when Romoff was fired, but in fact it has gotten worse. There is clearly a massive leadership vacuum at the very top due to gross incompetence and significant petty infighting, along with a number of Machiavellian maneuvers. At least there is some chatter that the board may be finally willing to show some backbone and make changes
Wait til they start subbing out department management.

Seems the mayor might not be revealing his true intentions in this.

Note: example of why you need local newspapers, keep things like this in the open. Fran B and others....I don't hate the PG or wish to see its demise. The sports department just needs a good enima.

Note: example of why you need local newspapers, keep things like this in the open. Fran B and others....I don't hate the PG or wish to see its demise. The sports department just needs a good enima.

That does not surprise me one bit with PA polititions. Very disappointing, but not surprising.

That does not surprise me one bit with PA polititions. Very disappointing, but not surprising.

Yep, so SEIU has Gainey & Summer Lee, now trying for County exec with Sarah Innamorato. I'm not going to start a whole left wing/right wing debate but I don't think it is a good idea when a union like them has so much influence regardless of party affiliation.

Reactions: Pittduck

It would be more of a surprise if he wasn’t dictated by big union influence. Glad to see it acknowledged in even one local media entity (Gainey may only get 199% of the next vote as a consequence).

But it is not exactly a revelation. Big corporations are in Republicans pockets, sleazy corrupt unions are in the Dems pockets. Filthy rich get massive subsidies and pay nothing, deadbeat government teat-slurpers get more and more entitlements and less accountability, and the dwindling middle class pay for all of it.

Yep, so SEIU has Gainey & Summer Lee, now trying for County exec with Sarah Innamorato. I'm not going to start a whole left wing/right wing debate but I don't think it is a good idea when a union like them has so much influence regardless of party affiliation.
Not really a left wing right wing thing generally speaking. Big presidential donors get ambassador assignments all the time. Happens from the very top to the every podunk town regardless of party.

The Post-Gazette is also vehemently anti-labor, so it’s not as though they’re the altruistic beacons of unbiased journalism here, either. It’s a messy issue.

The Post-Gazette is also vehemently anti-labor, so it’s not as though they’re the altruistic beacons of unbiased journalism here, either. It’s a messy issue.
The original report on SEIU's influence was from KDKA: https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/...er-pittsburgh-mayor-ed-gainey-administration/

KDKA's broadcast story for those that obviously don't bother reading any posted articles: https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/...fluence-over-mayor-ed-gaineys-administration/

Last edited:
Unions would be less of an issue if all people were covered under a single payer, national health coverage plan and there were a minimum wage that kept up with growth. Plus, easy things like maternity leave for parents, better access to daycare, etc. Dems don't really support those things (even though many prtetend to) because it would make unions less powerful.

It would be more of a surprise if he wasn’t dictated by big union influence. Glad to see it acknowledged in even one local media entity (Gainey may only get 199% of the next vote as a consequence).

But it is not exactly a revelation. Big corporations are in Republicans pockets, sleazy corrupt unions are in the Dems pockets. Filthy rich get massive subsidies and pay nothing, deadbeat government teat-slurpers get more and more entitlements and less accountability, and the dwindling middle class pay for all of it.
This isn’t the 1980‘s. Big corporations are more likely to support democrats, these days.

Reactions: pittmeister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT