ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Get Back Documentary

Duneaux Harm

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2020
It might not be for everyone‘s taste but I am finding Peter Jackson’s Documentary on the Beatles “Let It Be“ Album Absolutely fascinating. I cheated. I watched episode one and then the roof top concert so I have not watched it all. The most amazing scene, to Me, is watching Paul create the song “Get Back” just from some random strumming on the Bass and chatting with George and Ringo. The creativity. These guys practice in the studio all day and then go home that evening and come up with songs like Let it Be and the Long and Winding Road.

Their Ages!!!!! John and Ringo were 28, Paul just 26 and friggin George a baby at 25. Holy hell.

It's a little slow but I do agree that it is amazing to see them putting the music together. I am only finished the first episode but it is sad to see the band breaking up, they know it won't last. Even Paul talking about Brian Epstein passing and not having any leadership or discipline in the band is eye opening. Yoko still sucks.

Reactions: Tucker99
It's a little slow but I do agree that it is amazing to see them putting the music together. I am only finished the first episode but it is sad to see the band breaking up, they know it won't last. Even Paul talking about Brian Epstein passing and not having any leadership or discipline in the band is eye opening. Yoko still sucks.
Interesting on Yoko, I actually changed my view on her. She basically has just sat there and sewed. Fascinating to see her and Linda just chatting away while Paul is working out Let itBe (I think) on th e piano. And Ringo is just awesome. Everyone should have. A Ringo in their lives.

I am a huge Beatles fan but this is very slow and most casual fans would be bored to tears. You could already tell heading into Day 1 that George was sick of Paul's input and suggestions. George was never much of an improviser on guitar and this format put the pressure on him. He cant just noodle out solos and riff for an album in two weeks. He needs the tracks laid down so he can go and work on the guitar parts. I think the stress got to him. The most fascinating parts are where they are working out some of the tune and lyrics. John and Paul still worked well together and Paul more just lamented that they dont spend time together hashing out songs like they used to because personal lives took priority.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
As a huge music fan I find it fascinating. Paul was certainly the most engaged of the four. George Martin (while present) was sort of put on the bench for this project, so someone needed to step up and Paul was clearly willing to try. John comes off as much more ‘go with the flow’ than I would have ever imagined. At first I thought Ringo looked disinterested, but I think that may be wrong. I think the rather sour look was intensity and focus. Didn’t say a word and then just came in perfectly every time.

Interesting on Yoko, I actually changed my view on her. She basically has just sat there and sewed. Fascinating to see her and Linda just chatting away while Paul is working out Let itBe (I think) on th e piano. And Ringo is just awesome. Everyone should have. A Ringo in their lives.
Where can you find this?

As a guitarist who never has an original musical idea in his head, I am absolutely entranced watching their creative process. I loved it.

Watching the creativivty in real time is interesting. Also, I thought it was revealing that even though these were stressful times and they were near break up , there was still a lot of joking around among the four , sort of a Marx Brothers vibe that was always part of their appeal. I just could never see Mick and Keith being this jocular

I'll have to watch it. I'm a huge fan of George Harrison's solo work (I think he had the best post-Beatles career, at least creatively) and it was an interesting time for him as a songwriter, feeling like he never could get Paul and John to recognize him as an equal. And that's understandable given the dynamic that existed from the start of the band.

I’ve never been a huge Beatles fan, but my wife put the show on and I couldn’t stop watching.

Their creative process was mesmerizing.

They were also surprisingly frank with each other in that audio-only conversation about how their inability to tell each other how to work/perform was dysfunctional (which eventually led to the breakup)

The amount of respect they all had for one another was really apparent.

I'll have to watch it. I'm a huge fan of George Harrison's solo work (I think he had the best post-Beatles career, at least creatively) and it was an interesting time for him as a songwriter, feeling like he never could get Paul and John to recognize him as an equal. And that's understandable given the dynamic that existed from the start of the band.
I agree with you on George not being taken seriously by Lennon and McCartney. They almost seem to dismiss him. It wasn't as if pride got in the way with George....he even suggests bring in Clapton a few times to get the result John and Paul wanted. He couldn't be more selfless.

Watching the creativivty in real time is interesting. Also, I thought it was revealing that even though these were stressful times and they were near break up , there was still a lot of joking around among the four , sort of a Marx Brothers vibe that was always part of their appeal. I just could never see Mick and Keith being this jocular
I have found it interesting that Paul said he liked the documentary because it was actually how the vibe was at the time and not as portrayed by the Let it Be documentary and other media reports, You definitely could see four guys who were trying to create songs and how the atmosphere created some tension but not animosity. I lived it when George Harrison said they needed Eric Clapton and John and Paul said No we need George Harrison.

I agree with you on George not being taken seriously by Lennon and McCartney. They almost seem to dismiss him. It wasn't as if pride got in the way with George....he even suggests bring in Clapton a few times to get the result John and Paul wanted. He couldn't be more selfless.

Yeah he was always a big collaborator (often with Ringo and John post-breakup). Not the world's greatest guitarist (though he was a damn good slide guitarist) and he seemed to realize it. But he was a great songwriter and had a unique voice. I don't think he got on well with Paul until much later in life.

It might not be for everyone‘s taste but I am finding Peter Jackson’s Documentary on the Beatles “Let It Be“ Album Absolutely fascinating. I cheated. I watched episode one and then the roof top concert so I have not watched it all. The most amazing scene, to Me, is watching Paul create the song “Get Back” just from some random strumming on the Bass and chatting with George and Ringo. The creativity. These guys practice in the studio all day and then go home that evening and come up with songs like Let it Be and the Long and Winding Road.

Their Ages!!!!! John and Ringo were 28, Paul just 26 and friggin George a baby at 25. Holy hell.
Agree it's awesome

why would that make you change your view of her?..did you think she would be screaming and yelling at the band while they were together working? My assumption was always it was her time alone with John that pushed him away and caused the rift...as with about 60% of my assumptions I could be wrong.....

why would that make you change your view of her?..did you think she would be screaming and yelling at the band while they were together working?
I suppose because the mythology since the breakup has been that Yoko stuck her creative nose in too much and broke up the band. And now that myth seems pretty much busted.

why would that make you change your view of her?..did you think she would be screaming and yelling at the band while they were together working?

I know musicians work differently, but I just think it would be weird to have my wife sitting at a conference room table in the office while I was collaborating with people on a project.

I suppose because the mythology since the breakup has been that Yoko stuck her creative nose in too much and broke up the band. And now that myth seems pretty much busted.

Her only fault is probably distracting Lennon and eventually leading his interests away from the band. But, in reality, they were going to break up anyways. George was done and even Ringo walked away for a few weeks at one point. They existed for the perfect amount of time and their legend is probably diminished had they stuck it out another decade.

Reactions: Saboteur II
As a huge music fan I find it fascinating. Paul was certainly the most engaged of the four. George Martin (while present) was sort of put on the bench for this project, so someone needed to step up and Paul was clearly willing to try. John comes off as much more ‘go with the flow’ than I would have ever imagined. At first I thought Ringo looked disinterested, but I think that may be wrong. I think the rather sour look was intensity and focus. Didn’t say a word and then just came in perfectly every time.
They say Ringo was always in time. Always.

George was two years younger than those guys so he got in the game later than they did.

George was two years younger than those guys so he got in the game later than they did.

Oh for sure, and for that reason it was probably would have been impossible for him to make more headway for as long as they stayed together. But his songwriting by the end was on par with Lennon and McCartney. A good deal of All Things Must Pass were songs he wrote for the Beatles but were rejected.

Reactions: Saboteur II
why would that make you change your view of her?..did you think she would be screaming and yelling at the band while they were together working? My assumption was always it was her time alone with John that pushed him away and caused the rift...as with about 60% of my assumptions I could be wrong.....
I always was led to believe she was way more vocal and interfering always.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT