ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHL Playoffs...some thoughts.

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
1. The Isles are greater than the sum of their parts. It has been said by many, including me. You know what, they are just plain good. They might not have that top level Crosby/McDavid/MacKinnon player, but they have no weaknesses either. All 20 guys are good. All. From the back up goalie to the 4th line, they are all quality players. Plus, they got the best coach in this business, and this team is almost Soviet like (those old hockey fans like me will get that reference) in their attention to details and their systems. They don't deviate at all.
2. Continuing on the Islanders, I am a big admirer of them and will root for them over Tampa. I hate the Islanders, no other franchise has cost me more heartache than the Isles. While the Flyers are my most hated, the Isles have dealt the Pens some of the most heartbreaking losses. But they "play the game the right way" (right Sully?) and go about it honestly. And they aren't boring, these aren't the 2002 Anaheim Ducks, the Isles of scored 4 or more goals 8 out of 12 games this playoffs. The Pens have scored 4 or more goals 4 times in their last 20 playoff games.
3. I am a hockey fan and a Penguins fan, not just a Pens fan. So I am watching every game and enjoying these playoffs. It is really great to see fans back. Just the teams left, it could be ugly ratings wise if some potential matchups happen.
4. And on that note, Hockey, the NHL has a serious, serious problem. If the Avs are out tonight, that means your top 3 MVP candidates didn't even make the Conference finals. And likely Sid was 4th, so that is top 4. When it is so easy to neutralize your stars it is not a good thing to casual viewers. While someone like myself may admire Cal Clutterbuck';s grit and tenacity, It is not a good thing when guys like him shine and Sid or Connor McDavid don't.
5. Goaltending has.become overwhelming as far as an impact goes. It is almost even mores than pitching in baseball or a QB in football. It is a great neutralizer. A .920 save percentage in the post season is average. Or worse. Tukka Rask is getting criticized, he was at 0.919. Tristan Jarry as you may have heard, was not good at 0.888. The Pens had no chance.
So points 4&5 go hand in hand somewhat. How to rectify this.
a) Call penalties not just "puck went over glass no brainers". This BS that refs don't want to "affect the outcome" is crap. Not calling penalties IS AFFECTING THE OUTCOME. Why are the top players in the league out? Because you can obstruct til the cows come in without worry.
b) Time to reduce the equipment...or make the nets an inch or 2 on all dimensions bigger. This small difference would not be noticed by fans, it would not affect on ice play, but how many posts to we see? These nets were designed when most goalies were 5'9" and small equipment. Now they are 6'4" and look like the Michelin Man out there. These guys are skilled, 2 more inches height and length, the goalies need now to cover 11% more area and with the increase in size and equipment this helps nullify this.
6) Eff Tampa. I can't root for them. They cheated with Nikita Krucherov keeping him out and his salary all year. and then allowing them go over the cap without penalty when playoffs started. Seeing how Kucherov looks like right now the Conn Smythe front runner, and how great he was from the initial drop of the puck in the playoffs, he likely could have returned a month ago.
7) Eff Vegas. Nothing against Fleury, I just disagree with giving an expansion team such a stacked lineup to start their franchise.
8) The macabre me, wants a Habs/Isles, lets go back the 70's Final. TV not so much.
9) Likely it will be Tampa and Vegas.
10) Rooting for Colorado tonight and the Isles against Tampa.

Reactions: USN_Panther
1. The Isles are greater than the sum of their parts. It has been said by many, including me. You know what, they are just plain good. They might not have that top level Crosby/McDavid/MacKinnon player, but they have no weaknesses either. All 20 guys are good. All. From the back up goalie to the 4th line, they are all quality players. Plus, they got the best coach in this business, and this team is almost Soviet like (those old hockey fans like me will get that reference) in their attention to details and their systems. They don't deviate at all.
2. Continuing on the Islanders, I am a big admirer of them and will root for them over Tampa. I hate the Islanders, no other franchise has cost me more heartache than the Isles. While the Flyers are my most hated, the Isles have dealt the Pens some of the most heartbreaking losses. But they "play the game the right way" (right Sully?) and go about it honestly. And they aren't boring, these aren't the 2002 Anaheim Ducks, the Isles of scored 4 or more goals 8 out of 12 games this playoffs. The Pens have scored 4 or more goals 4 times in their last 20 playoff games.
3. I am a hockey fan and a Penguins fan, not just a Pens fan. So I am watching every game and enjoying these playoffs. It is really great to see fans back. Just the teams left, it could be ugly ratings wise if some potential matchups happen.
4. And on that note, Hockey, the NHL has a serious, serious problem. If the Avs are out tonight, that means your top 3 MVP candidates didn't even make the Conference finals. And likely Sid was 4th, so that is top 4. When it is so easy to neutralize your stars it is not a good thing to casual viewers. While someone like myself may admire Cal Clutterbuck';s grit and tenacity, It is not a good thing when guys like him shine and Sid or Connor McDavid don't.
5. Goaltending has.become overwhelming as far as an impact goes. It is almost even mores than pitching in baseball or a QB in football. It is a great neutralizer. A .920 save percentage in the post season is average. Or worse. Tukka Rask is getting criticized, he was at 0.919. Tristan Jarry as you may have heard, was not good at 0.888. The Pens had no chance.
a) Call penalties not just "puck went over glass no brainers". This BS that refs don't want to "affect the outcome" is crap. Not calling penalties IS AFFECTING THE OUTCOME. Why are the top players in the league out? Because you can obstruct til the cows come in without worry.
b) Time to reduce the equipment...or make the nets an inch or 2 on all dimensions bigger. This small difference would not be noticed by fans, it would not affect on ice play, but how many posts to we see? These nets were designed when most goalies were 5'9" and small equipment. Now they are 6'4" and look like the Michelin Man out there. These guys are skilled, 2 more inches height and length, the goalies need now to cover 11% more area and with the increase in size and equipment this helps nullify this.
6) Eff Tampa. I can't root for them. They cheated with Nikita Krucherov keeping him out and his salary all year. and then allowing them go over the cap without penalty when playoffs started. Seeing how Kucherov looks like right now the Conn Smythe front runner, and how great he was from the initial drop of the puck in the playoffs, he likely could have returned a month ago.
7) Eff Vegas. Nothing against Fleury, I just disagree with giving an expansion team such a stacked lineup to start their franchise.
8) The macabre me, wants a Habs/Isles, lets go back the 70's Final. TV not so much.
Good post. As a goalie I disagree on principle alone on the net size. I do play using the larger IIHF goals. I'd kill it in the NHL lol.

The whole “stacked” Vegas expansion team was somewhat of a media narrative. 2 years later 75% of the guys they drafted were already gone, I think there are 5 left as of now. Obviously MAF, Marchessault, and Karlsson are key contributors, but the core of this VGK team are guys they acquired long after the expansion draft. Their management did an excellent job, especially in signing guys like Stone, Pietrangelo, Pacioretty, and Martinez.

They don't call interference. It's still rampant and permitted.

It's a major change,, but I'm ready to get rid of the blue line and offsides. Then teams won't be able to use the blue line like a defender. The focus would turn to skating, passing, and skill.

The whole “stacked” Vegas expansion team was somewhat of a media narrative. 2 years later 75% of the guys they drafted were already gone, I think there are 5 left as of now. Obviously MAF, Marchessault, and Karlsson are key contributors, but the core of this VGK team are guys they acquired long after the expansion draft. Their management did an excellent job, especially in signing guys like Stone, Pietrangelo, Pacioretty, and Martinez.
I can see both sides to the VGK/expansion debate. You don’t want to see an expansion team flounder near the bottom for countless years before getting decent. But man, the VGK have taken it to the other extreme with their instant success. Stanley cup finals in their first year of existence and I think conference finals at a minimum every year since. Not too shabby for an expansion team.

MacKinnon: 3 series wins in 1st 8 seasons
McDavid: 1 series win in 1st 6 seasons
Matthews: 0 series wins in 1st 5 seasons
Crosby: 7 series wins, two SCF appearances, 1 Cup win in 1st 4 seasons — and for a lot of people, that wasn’t good enough.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Will always root for MAF if the Pens are out of it. But it would be really cool to see the Canadiens get a cup almost thirty years since they, or any team from Canada for that matter, won their last one. Also would be fun to see the cup finals being played at Nassau Coliseum before the Islanders move to their new arena. So I'm hoping for a Habs/Isles finals.

Will always root for MAF if the Pens are out of it. But it would be really cool to see the Canadiens get a cup almost thirty years since they, or any team from Canada for that matter, won their last one. Also would be fun to see the cup finals being played at Nassau Coliseum before the Islanders move to their new arena. So I'm hoping for a Habs/Isles finals.
Lafleur vs Bossy. Potvin vs Robinson. I like it!

Reactions: JD1976
Missed the boat on betting on Vegas after they were down 2-0. I imagine the odds were juicy. Who would've thought then that they'd win 4 straight.

Isles +600 to win the Cup. Might be worth a small wager.

There's a lot of skill in the game, but the only way goals are scored 80% of the time in the playoffs is due to screening the goalie. Equipment needs to get smaller, and the net could be made bigger. Even if they reduced the size of the post or angled them inward toward the net. My favorite era in hockey was the late 80's/early 90's when scoring was up. I hope we get back to those numbers someday, but the goalies are just so good nowadays.

Missed the boat on betting on Vegas after they were down 2-0. I imagine the odds were juicy. Who would've thought then that they'd win 4 straight.

Isles +600 to win the Cup. Might be worth a small wager.
What's crazy is people were talking Colorado might not lose a game in the playoffs and they promptly lost 4 in a row.

According to The Fan, all of the remaining teams are statistically the heaviest/biggest in the league (7th being the lowest left).

Looks like that is ammo for Brian Burke’s desire to go big. I expect some size and heft added to the season for next year and/or in the draft.

There's a lot of skill in the game, but the only way goals are scored 80% of the time in the playoffs is due to screening the goalie. Equipment needs to get smaller, and the net could be made bigger. Even if they reduced the size of the post or angled them inward toward the net. My favorite era in hockey was the late 80's/early 90's when scoring was up. I hope we get back to those numbers someday, but the goalies are just so good nowadays.
The other thing that has changed during this time, and to the detriment of scoring (and the game in my opinion) is the absolutely maniacal approach to shot blocking. So many shots never get through. So many players get injured blocking shots. I hate those teams who just lay down and not let shots go through. That is not compelling to watch.

Reactions: HOF Coach and bwh05
The other thing that has changed during this time, and to the detriment of scoring (and the game in my opinion) is the absolutely maniacal approach to shot blocking. So many shots never get through. So many players get injured blocking shots. I hate those teams who just lay down and not let shots go through. That is not compelling to watch.
I’d be fine if I never saw anyone lay down in front of a shot again.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I’d be fine if I never saw anyone lay down in front of a shot.
The NHL should ban that tactic.

dino-hero-b07c8d5.jpg

The Isles are a better and deeper team than the Penguins. They are relentless and they don't have many system lapses. They defend like madmen and they get a lot of traffic in front of the opposing net minder.

The Isles are a better and deeper team than the Penguins. They are relentless and they don't have many system lapses. They defend like madmen and they get a lot of traffic in front of the opposing net minder.
Plus, you said it.

I mean, if you were drafting.......
Sid would be first, Geno would be second and maybe Letang 3rd, but the Isles would probably occupy the next 5 slots then maybe a Guentzel and Carter and then the Isles would occupy the next 4-5 slots, then maybe Kapanen and Dumo and the Isles again next 4-5 slots. The Islanders don't have any players that suck.

And one thing that has brought the Pens down that the Isles roster has is the construction. Think of it as a puzzle or an aggregate where you have different pieces that fit together and form a tight bond. The Pens are a bunch of same, same, same sized players same styles and they don't fit together as well.

As far as increasing net size, they said the same thing about basketball when the players kept getting taller, increase hoop height. Playoff teams with good goalies go far, when goalies let soft goals in the strategy changes and teams "chase". I hope MAF wins it all.

As far as increasing net size, they said the same thing about basketball when the players kept getting taller, increase hoop height. Playoff teams with good goalies go far, when goalies let soft goals in the strategy changes and teams "chase". I hope MAF wins it all.

But it is not as relevant. The NBA was not negatively effected by 6'9" guys all of a sudden handling the ball and shooting it like 5'11" guys. You have a 4x6' Rectangle. In 1980, the pads were smaller, much smaller. The goalies averaged 5'10" in height. It is just simple math there was much more net exposed and target to shoot at. And most goalies weren't nearly the athlete that they are now.

Now? The average goalie is 6'3". Tom Barrasso was 6'3" and when he came into the league he was considered a giant. The pads are about 20% bigger overall. The Avg Save % in 1985 was .875 (Tristan Jarry's playoff save percentage was .888) and this year the average save percentage was .918. So now for every 50 shots on goal, 4 go in on average. Back in the mid 80's, 6 would go in.

Add into this much, much better coaching, positioning, and shot blocking, it is amazing there aren't more soccer scores. And in these playoff games, alot of these 5-6 goal games, many time 2 of those goals are ENG's, because a team down 3-2 pulls their goalie early.

My contention, you just move the posts out and inch each way, raise the cross bar 2 inches. It wouldnt really be noticeable to the naked eye and wouldn't affect on ice play. Just give shooters a bit more net to shoot at and be rewarded if they can pick corners or go top shelf.

Reactions: bwh05
The 80s was a different style of hockey, that's why save percentages were lower. It was up and down, a high speed and high skill game. There isn't a single goalie in the top 50 all time who played in the 80s. All time save % leader is Hassek who played 1990 - 1998.

Yeah, goalies are bigger and better, but the game is different now. Shots aren't the same. How often do you see a breakaway now? It's so rare anymore, but it used to happen all the time. They gotta do something to unclog the neutral zone to encourage skating and skill.

I think another thing is everyone is bigger and faster, which makes the rink size a factor. Can't really change that.

Curious to see how the Habs fare against Vegas. We will see if the Canadian division was just a good junior league. Give the Canadians a punchers chance as goalie advantage is with them and flower will cost Vegas at least one game, plus they have the best uniform in sports which counts for something

Curious to see how the Habs fare against Vegas. We will see if the Canadian division was just a good junior league. Give the Canadians a punchers chance as goalie advantage is with them and flower will cost Vegas at least one game, plus they have the best uniform in sports which counts for something
Yeah I do think the Canadian Division was really that weak. For one thing, in normal divisions, the Canadiens never would have even made the playoffs. But the Carey Price factor is not to be overlooked.

It's really going to be a bad look for the Nanook of the North Canadian Division, where they lumped all of the Canada teams because of COVID protocols (nothing they can do) but had a nice, ancillary benefit of automatically getting a Canadian team into the Final 4 (just not the one they thought). As we know, a Canadian team hasn't won a Cup since 1993.

Nothing against McDavid and Matthews, great players, but it is obvious their stats were a bit inflated playing in that division.

Not sure if this graphic is correct but VGK is outshooting MTL 25-5 and game is 1-1. Haven't seen much of MTL this season but Cole Caulfield can play.

I hate the eastern matchup since eff Tampa for their salary cap nonsense -and eff unfrozen caveman trotz

but loving the Vegas and Montreal series
2 hall of fame goalies - just seeing who’s teams can score enough to support them

I had just commented to my son how MTL was going to have trouble getting Price off as they could only dump and hope and Fleury kept stopping the puck and playing it. Then ..whoops!
Yep
The tv crew was literally saying minutes before how fleury’s pick handling was the diffence in the game
Cruel game
Sometimes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT