ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Olympics - Biles

Yes, because I don't believe the "mental thing" would lead to injury. This argument has been hyped up way too much. On that last vault she did, she landed on her feet. She didn't even fall down. She had a bad landing score-wise, but nothing about it looked dangerous. She landed on her feet and took a big step forward instead of sticking it cleanly. I saw probably a dozen other landings that were worse.

If you are telling me gymnastics is this dangerous, we need to just discontinue the sport.
Seriously???

hyped up??

my god I suggest spending more time learning the sport. Any idiot seriously could understand that for the stuff Biles does it takes incredible focus as well as physical ability. That’s not difficult to understand. Literally just look at what she does … if it’s done wrong you break your neck and wind up in paralysis

Nevermind… it’s more important to you to complain than to at least understand it I guess. And I’m not claiming to be an expert here at all but I’m also not a big enough ass to question people who really do understand it.

Reactions: 303vND
amazing how similar and not surprising how the two camps fall on this:
One side:
- lets applaud her heroics for pulling out and admitting mental weakness
- everyone gets a participation trophy
- helicopter parent
- Karen
- Injustice across America

Other side:
- she quit/choked, nothing to be proud of
- we used to be tougher as a people/country
- individualism, self reliance
- freedom

Tell me Im wrong

So now it's reasonable to say they're all at risk of breaking their necks? Try to be consistent.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's foolish to suggest Biles is the only gymnast at risk. It was a bad look for her to drop out. Not the worst thing in the world, just it is a blemish. It's not even her who is making this argument. It's these people who feel compelled to rush in and be the white knight.
She does routines that NO ONE ELSE CAN DO - to the point that the judges started penalizing her for being the only one that can do them. Have you seen any other gymnast get as high or as fast as her?
Yeah, that still doesn't make this potential danger argument any less foolish.
Seriously???

hyped up??

my god I suggest spending more time learning the sport. Any idiot seriously could understand that for the stuff Biles does it takes incredible focus as well as physical ability. That’s not difficult to understand. Literally just look at what she does … if it’s done wrong you break your neck and wind up in paralysis

Nevermind… it’s more important to you to complain than to at least understand it I guess. And I’m not claiming to be an expert here at all but I’m also not a big enough ass to question people who really do understand it.
If you have to use the opinion of others to form your own judgements, that's fine. I just firm my opinions based on what I see. I simply don't think she was in danger. As I said earlier, Biles herself isn't even making that argument.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's foolish to suggest Biles is the only gymnast at risk. It was a bad look for her to drop out. Not the worst thing in the world, just it is a blemish. It's not even her who is making this argument. It's these people who feel compelled to rush in and be the white knight.

Yeah, that still doesn't make this potential danger argument any less foolish.

If you have to use the opinion of others to form your own judgements, that's fine. I just firm my opinions based on what I see. I simply don't think she was in danger. As I said earlier, Biles herself isn't even making that argument.
You're just beyond help.

One side:
- helicopter parent
- Karen

Other side:
- freedom

Tell me Im wrong
Add 'Merica to other side

Reactions: DruidTM
One side:
- helicopter parent
- Karen

Other side:
- freedom

Tell me Im wrong
I can only speak for myself, but you are wrong. There is middle ground for rational people.
- I don’t believe in participation trophies
- I don’t like helicopter parents
- I don’t like Karen’s
- I believe there are some injustices in America. None of us are perfect and we don’t live in a perfect society.
- I believe she was burned out and would have retired last year if it were not for all the outside pressure
- I believe we need to be more compassionate and understanding towards others, especially with everything that has happened over the last year and a half.
- I would hope as a society we have gained more knowledge on mental health and are able to get the proper help for ourselves and others. I don’t consider empathy to be a weakness.
- I agree with your last point about people moving towards individualism and self reliance.

One side:
- helicopter parent
- Karen

Other side:
- freedom

Tell me Im wrong
You're wrong. My take, and that of some others in the thread:
  • She's the most talented and accomplished female gymnast in history, both before she pulled herself from these games and after she did so;
  • she came into the games embracing the title of GOAT;
  • she admittedly caved mentally under the pressure of the world's expectations for her at these games, and it caused her to lose her focus;
  • artistic gymnastics is a sport that requires incredible mental focus;
  • artistic gymnastics is a sport where a competitor can become severely injured if they lose focus during their routines, particularly with an aerial event like the vault;
  • due to her inability to focus, she struggled the entire games in all the warm-ups and qualifying events, making mistake after mistake. It was not only uncharacteristic of her, nothing remotely like it had ever happened before in her career;
  • she pulled herself after a major mistake on the vault that could have resulted in severe injury and that scared the hell out of her, which was smart;
  • she did unquestionably "choke" in the traditional sports definition of the term, not by pulling herself, but by losing her mental focus and composure at the moment of truth on the biggest stage in her sport;
  • she did let her team down by doing so, even though they support her and understand what caused her to back out;
  • "losing it" as she did at these games puts significant tarnish on her GOAT status, but does not diminish her greatness of talent. But in sports, it takes a combo of both the physical talent and the mental/competitive toughness to be considered truly great;
  • she does not deserve to be labeled a loser or failure by the couch potatoes in this thread and across the world who don't understand her sport, what it takes to be an elite level athlete in an individual sport, and who never competed in any meaningful sporting event in their lives, she did more for her country the first time she ever stepped onto a mat representing the USA than any of her critics will have done in their entire lives ;
  • losing her mental focus at the moment of truth--otherwise known as performance anxiety-- is not a mental health issue in the generally accepted sense of the term;
  • while Biles apparently battled anxiety and depression for years before these games, that did not stop her from becoming the very best in her sport and dominating world competition before and should not be used as an excuse for what happened with her now;
  • she does not deserve praise for being "brave enough" to admit that she lost her mental toughness at the moment of truth, especially after she very publicly embraced the GOAT title going into these games. However, she does deserve credit for being candid about the fact that the enormous pressure she was under got to her and caused her to lose her focus. She made no excuses and did not apologize for this, which is the right way to handle it. She could have feigned a physical injury that nobody but her own coaches and teammates would be any the wiser for, but she did not do that. She was honest.
  • history will judge her, but it will not forget that she melted down under the pressure that makes or breaks an athlete's greatness.

Suni Lee choked at the team competiton it now retroactively appears. If she was good enough to win the all around today she should have pulled the team to a gold earlier this week. Once a choker always a choker so her legacy that was born today was ruined by her earlier this week. We had a choker in plain view earlier this week that didn't become apparent until today. Count em. 2 usa choker gymnasts.

Last edited:
Suni Lee choked at the team competiton it now retroactively appears. If she was good enough to win the all around today she should have pulled the team to a gold earlier this week. Once a choker always a choker so her legacy that was born today was ruined by her earlier this week. We had a choker in plain view earlier this week that didn't become apparent until today. Count em. 2 usa choker gymnasts.
she didnt choke, she had mental issues. no one is a loser here, just winners and mental health victims.. we need to cancel the term "loser".

still confused how someone that won the gold last night is being compared to someone that quit midway thru an event. is this really the analogy you want to go with?

Last edited:
None other than Kerri Strug has thrown her support behind Biles…

that says it all.

and her situation in 96 absolutely reeked of everything that’s been abusive in the sport… friggen cringeworthy…..so if she supports Biles that’s about all you can say.
Silliness. A fraternity of people stick together. That's hardly unique. It doesn't make her right and others wrong.

Did Sun admit that she should have performed better but failed to due to pressure like Biles admitted?

Yes, because I don't believe the "mental thing" would lead to injury. This argument has been hyped up way too much. On that last vault she did, she landed on her feet. She didn't even fall down. She had a bad landing score-wise, but nothing about it looked dangerous. She landed on her feet and took a big step forward instead of sticking it cleanly. I saw probably a dozen other landings that were worse.

If you are telling me gymnastics is this dangerous, we need to just discontinue the sport.
She landed on her feet because she did not finish the vault. She did not complete the vault that she was supposed to do. She has not just lost focus, she has lot it totally. It would be dangerous to compete because if she tried to complete the correct vault, she could land on her head. Gymnastics is a very dangerous sport. My grand daughter broke both of her arms( clear through)on a fall during a routine. She never recovered. Her career ended that day.

Same thing happened to Ricky Bobby and he worked hard and finally recovered.

https://i.pinimg.com/600x315/a7/68/2d/a7682d4907561ae116a273f93611795c.jpg
a7682d4907561ae116a273f93611795c.jpg

Reactions: pittdan77
While we're at it Lindsay vonn is a choke and quitter also. What the hell's wrong with her? She had to place in 5-10% of her races to get the title but that saucy tramp got injured and tired and sore and didn't want to compete anymore and just wanted a hug from daddy! Loser choker quitter

While we're at it Lindsay vonn is a choke and quitter also. What the hell's wrong with her? She had to place in 5-10% of her races to get the title but that saucy tramp got injured and tired and sore and didn't want to compete anymore and just wanted a hug from daddy! Loser choker quitter
I love how personal you are taking this.

Lindsay vonn? Didn’t she get airlifted after breaking her tibia and tearing her knee. You are comparing that to feeling pressure and quitting lol. Keep going with these awful comparisons please.

You've completely lost the plot.

Two guys who couldn’t run across the kitchen for a donut without pulling a muscle or fracturing an ankle…. Jesus H.

not who I’d look to for discussion of this topic at any point. But at least now it is obvious where all the vitriol and couch-coaching is coming from?
It’s one thing that you make your decisions based on politics.

But it’s another thing to make a disparaging comment about my Savior.

S
It’s just astounding (or not really) that the default by so many people here is to criticize and assume she’s a weak minded quitter. If facts come out to support this I’ll eat crow. But she’s won medals on broken toes and with kidney stones all while facing sexual assault.

That doesn’t strike me as a weak minded quitter.
She is claiming she is weak minded. Literally.

But you are collecting huge social credits. You will get along well in Chinese society.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
You've completely lost the plot.
The only point is that miserable old men are upset because an Olympic athlete. Who they had been programmed to despise, failed. But instead of being scorned and labeled a quitter or a choke artist has instead been embraced by many. The miserable old man, even the most pious of them, hates that.

Reactions: Ski11585
The only point is that miserable old men are upset because an Olympic athlete. Who they had been programmed to despise, failed. But instead of being scorned and labeled a quitter or a choke artist has instead been embraced by many. The miserable old man, even the most pious of them, hates that.
You've also lost the plot.

We can argue back and forth for eternity about whether she choked, quit, etc. One thing I think we can all agree on is that Simone Biles rigged the election.

I don’t even know what we are arguing about anymore. The woke criwd has brought up protesters, race, someone said we are programmed to despise her. I’m lost.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
It’s one thing that you make your decisions based on politics.

But it’s another thing to make a disparaging comment about my Savior.
I’m making decisions on politics?

I’m not the guy looking to these types for information on the Olympics or Biles…I’ve actually referred to athletes. You tell me who is more qualified?

the projection as usual is staggering.

I’m making decisions on politics?

I’m not the guy looking to these types for information on the Olympics or Biles…I’ve actually referred to athletes. You tell me who is more qualified?

the projection as usual is staggering.
Which types are you speaking of?

Many people look to sports radio hosts to get information on sports. Don’t be foolish.

Or they have a different opinion of u. Crazy yes, I know
Nah. Just grist for the mill that is our current culture war. Unless you think Charlie Kirk actually has an opinion that she's a sociopath and shaming the country. If that's the case, more power to you.

None other than Kerri Strug has thrown her support behind Biles…

that says it all.

and her situation in 96 absolutely reeked of everything that’s been abusive in the sport… friggen cringeworthy…..so if she supports Biles that’s about all you can say.
Which gymnastics events did you participate in?

A former US elite gymnast said in an interview that if it was someone other than Simone Biles who had made that same error, they would have certainly blown a knee, at minimum. Another said if it had happened to her instead of Simone, “I probably would have ended up paralyzed.”
Just had a drink last night with my good friend whose wife was a D1 gymnast…and he said his wife and all her former teammates spent the day texting back and forth about how they thought it was abhorrent what Biles did.

at the end of the day, there are lots of opinions and everyone thinks they hold the right one…but I think this is one of those things where people will have to agree to disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT