ADVERTISEMENT

OT :OT: Favorite local restaurants no longer around...…..

If you are ever in the Butler area, stop by Freedom Farms Sandwich off of route 8. Every item they serve is incredible, but the Reuben is unbelievable. The deli scene in Pittsburgh is definitely lacking though.
I've heard their donuts were really good, but I'll have to try it. I love a good Reuben. Thanks for the tip.

If you are ever in the Butler area, stop by Freedom Farms Sandwich off of route 8. Every item they serve is incredible, but the Reuben is unbelievable. The deli scene in Pittsburgh is definitely lacking though.
Thanks.. I will try I know where that is. But those idiots, they own those same American Freedom diners around Pittsburgh...I already got on them for their soup selection. Beef Vegetable, Stuffed Pepper and Chili. To which I said "what is really the difference?"

Tuscan Inn would be my choice. Followed by Park Schenley & McKnight Smorgasboard (JK).
Three of my favorites, although I was about 12 or 14 years old when I loved McKnight Smorgasboard.

No mention of the North Hills Pancake Kitchen? I think it was replaced by a movie theater, and the theater has been gone for ages. Now a Staples, clothing store and dry cleaners.

Three of my favorites, although I was about 12 or 14 years old when I loved McKnight Smorgasboard.

No mention of the North Hills Pancake Kitchen? I think it was replaced by a movie theater, and the theater has been gone for ages. Now a Staples, clothing store and dry cleaners.
I loved “Dutch” Martells on Babcock in the North Hills.

Believe it was alleged that the owner burned it down.

Last edited:
I liked Poli. Does anyone know why it closed? You would think a restaurant like that would thrive in that location.

There was another good Italian restaurant in the same timeframe as Tivolis in the Penn Hills/Monroeville area.

Just can’t remember the name.

Just remembered it - Tiganos?

Dumb trivia - do you know the meaning of the name Tivoli?

these hipster places don't seem to last too long unfortunately, although that was a good one. Speaking of hipster, looks like Superior Motors already bit the dust after much hype & fanfare
Cure was closed because the owner (Servino) wanted to focus on his other business. Cure was doing well otherwise but he didn't want his name on something he couldn't put enough time into.

Mendoza's Express here in Crafton. Survived the pandemic but just closed yesterday. Great tacos, got them every week. I'm very sad about this.

Exactly. We have this debate at least once a year, usually precipitated by someone googling city populations instead of metro area populations. Fact is, area wise Pittsburgh is one of the smaller cities. But population density wise, it is not. And metro area, yeah is more than Cleveland or Cincy or many other cities (still top 30). Also, Allegheny County has more individual municipalities than any other county in the US, and that contains Pittsburgh. Like anything in our over taxed, over the hill area, the city needs to consume some of these small burgs.
Sounds like a great deal for those small burgs.

Thanks.. I will try I know where that is. But those idiots, they own those same American Freedom diners around Pittsburgh...I already got on them for their soup selection. Beef Vegetable, Stuffed Pepper and Chili. To which I said "what is really the difference?"
Stuffed peppers aren’t around as much as they used to be.

Last edited:
Yes our city proper has less people than many other cities. But people don't realize that our metro population is bigger than a lot of cities people assume are larger (Vegas, Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus, Indy, KC, etc...). To me, the population of the actual city is less relevant, especially given that our city proper has about half the area of Cleveland and much less area than most large cities.
You have to include Akron in when you count the Cleveland Metro area. For the most part, it is one big urban and suburban sprawl from Lake Erie down to south Canton.

LC Simpsons on the Dormont/Mt Lebanon border. Used to sit in the bar - the restaurant was too upscale for me and my crew. They had great burgers in the bar.

Stringhill's in Belle Vernon. Home of the Pizza Burger. Still my favorite pizza of all time. Would love to have another square.

Skidgy's in Mt Lebanon. Cabbage Rolls and Meatloaf. Great stuff.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
Cure was closed because the owner (Servino) wanted to focus on his other business. Cure was doing well otherwise but he didn't want his name on something he couldn't put enough time into.
Man I just grilled up some of his sausages this weekend including morcilla and they were fantastic

LC Simpsons on the Dormont/Mt Lebanon border. Used to sit in the bar - the restaurant was too upscale for me and my crew. They had great burgers in the bar.

Stringhill's in Belle Vernon. Home of the Pizza Burger. Still my favorite pizza of all time. Would love to have another square.

Skidgy's in Mt Lebanon. Cabbage Rolls and Meatloaf. Great stuff.
Stuffed cabbage is great.

I learned that 5 star Jose and Toney’s is gone.
Ran into a guy from Mt Lebanon while moving my girlfriends daughter out of the U.
Is nothing sacred?

Reactions: kingfish12514

Never hit that gem. I've been in the North Hills since 1968. Amy Joy donuts was cool.

Yes. A great local mom and pop restaurant and a shame the owner lost his way with the taxman. I knew Joe C personally and he was a good guy.
Isn't that the restaurant that the PG restaurant critic gave like 5 stars and it was found he was paid off and he eventually killed himself??

Isn't that the restaurant that the PG restaurant critic gave like 5 stars and it was found he was paid off and he eventually killed himself??
You sir are correct. His review put the Primadonna on the map. I don 't know if any bribe was paid because the Primadonna was that good. Mike Kalina was his name.

a dead period and I am no longer interested in hockey, NBA, or God forbid, Pirates threads, for the foodies out there. what do you miss the most?

Mine

3, Fatigati Great salads ,,,, you order a steak you get two....Great when you are a twenty something. Loved that joint,.
2. Kleins Garlic puffs were to die for Crab dishes were awesome>
1. Picollo Picollo Awesome Antipasti bar,,, Never had a better 'Osso Bucco....................

There are others but these three come to mind...............
Fatigati by far is the best, their young kids brought out platters of pasta bigger than them for the table and the tender steak the size of a street brick. The New Meadow Grill, where you could listen joyously to the husband and wife fight while cooking you a fabulous meal. The Best late night was the Blue Bird in Clairton, or Reds Barbeque on the River near Mon City, The strangest was the Red Door in Donora.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT