ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penguins

Wow. What are the odds. The injury bug makes sure to strike us one note fine before the new year. That’s an ETA of anywhere from the first round to the Cup Final?

Yes and if it is closer to 6 months, then it is basically around the Cup Finals. Those are normally beginning of June.

I think you have to approach it like Guentzel is done for the season – playoffs included.

It would be very unlikely for him to come back on the short end of the timeframe and then produce like people would hope.

This is a huge loss – he’s the most underrated player on the roster. He’s an excellent player and a genuine star and this is an absolutely enormous loss for the Penguins.

Reactions: pitt2533
That was really a really scary collision with the boards. It looked like he could have been hurt far worse than he was. I’m not minimizing his injury but it had the looks of a neck/spine issue

For sure losing Jake is a huge blow Good news is some guy named Crosby is about to return. JR was likely to make some moves anyway but the loss of Jake will surely increase the odds he makes a significant move

That was really a really scary collision with the boards. It looked like he could have been hurt far worse than he was. I’m not minimizing his injury but it had the looks of a neck/spine issue

For sure losing Jake is a huge blow Good news is some guy named Crosby is about to return. JR was likely to make some moves anyway but the loss of Jake will surely increase the odds he makes a significant move

I agree about Guentzel's injury. Could have been far worse. That was scary. Sucks he is out that long but if a long term injury can be considered lucky this is the instance.

When he went into the boards, the best I was hoping for was 4-6 weeks. It was bad, you knew right away it was at best, a seperated shoulder But alas, it is the Penguins and 2019 so whatever was the worst prognosis so be it.

Kind of makes it a different take now.....with the way Malkin is playing and knowing guys like Sid and Dumoulin will be back and how Rust has stepped it up to be another Guentzel, I say damn this year's first rounder and go out and get a rent a winger to finish the season.

Big win last night in Montreal. The East is wild. Ridiculous actually. They need to accumulate all the points they can.

Also, them winning keeps them for making a panic move.

Big game today in the weirdly scheduled 5:00 afternoon game of a back to back against Florida.

Reactions: PittFamily2
When he went into the boards, the best I was hoping for was 4-6 weeks. It was bad, you knew right away it was at best, a seperated shoulder But alas, it is the Penguins and 2019 so whatever was the worst prognosis so be it.

Kind of makes it a different take now.....with the way Malkin is playing and knowing guys like Sid and Dumoulin will be back and how Rust has stepped it up to be another Guentzel, I say damn this year's first rounder and go out and get a rent a winger to finish the season.

This is sorta an SMF kind of post but wanted to see if this bird can fly.

Race tracks have safe barriers instead of solid concrete or wood track walls.
Safe barriers have bundles of closed-cell polystyrene foam, placed between the barrier and wall.

This mimimizes damage to cars and serious injury to drivers.

Should hockey look into something like this since the boards seem to cause lots of serious injuries.

I guess puck bounce or rebound would be different but with the technology available today I bet something better is possible.

Big win last night in Montreal. The East is wild. Ridiculous actually. They need to accumulate all the points they can.

Also, them winning keeps them for making a panic move.

Big game today in the weirdly scheduled 5:00 afternoon game of a back to back against Florida.
The East is a beast indeed! Last year MTL missed out with 96 points I believe it was. I predict that it will take 100 points to earn a Wild Card in the East, especially with Toronto and Tampa finally hitting their stride. I also think the Islanders will slide in the 2nd half and miss the playoffs.

The East is a beast indeed! Last year MTL missed out with 96 points I believe it was. I predict that it will take 100 points to earn a Wild Card in the East, especially with Toronto and Tampa finally hitting their stride. I also think the Islanders will slide in the 2nd half and miss the playoffs.
Way, way too premature for me to even discuss this.....but I would be more than fine with the Pens finishing 2nd.

I want the Islanders in Rd 1. I want their asses. I know careful what you wish for, but no team, not even the Flyers have caused this franchise more heartache.

I thought Sullivan was toast after last season but the guy can coach. To manage an 82 game season the way he has is amazing.
I am with you, I was calling for him to be canned at the end of last year because I thought the team had tuned him out. However, it is clear his system works if you play the right way and have the propper personnel. I think guys like Tanev and most all the youngsters who have come up to replace the injured players have actually helped guys like Geno buy in and play the "right way".

Their attention to detail has been so much better this year. They are not getting caught and giving up too many odd man breaks this year.

Two guys who have alot to do with our surge and deserve special mention are Tristan Jarry and Jack Johnson. Both have played very well. I think Tanger has rebounded well so far, but had a bad game yesterday. Perhaps he was a bit tired after the game in Montreal and then short turnaround of a 5pm start.

All hail "Sully" ! The Pens look like a serious contender again.

What a huge win over a really good Vegas team in a place the road team rarely wins. They also beat ex Pen Marc Andre Fleury. The East is a beast, particularly the Metro division this year. Gotta keep pace.

What a huge win over a really good Vegas team in a place the road team rarely wins. They also beat ex Pen Marc Andre Fleury. The East is a beast, particularly the Metro division this year. Gotta keep pace.
The Penguins D played a great game. They limited the giveaways (cough... Letang) and handled Vegas’ relentless forecheck for most of the night. Great win! 2 of 3 on this trip would be fantastic considering the opposition.

Well, I need to eat some crow. I was on the Sullivan isn't getting it done bandwagon after last year. I knew he's a good coach but I didn't think he fit the players here. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Well, those not fond of Matt Murray have some fresh ammo tonight. Brutal goal to allow in a game where the team has played well(and he was actually playing really well).

Just think of how hated Murray would be if he was a d*** and not a guy who’s easy to root for.

As the Pens finish up a close game with the Avs, I found this earlier today. Pretty impressive and shows you have fortunate we’ve been as fans to watch two legends like this.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Well, those not fond of Matt Murray have some fresh ammo tonight. Brutal goal to allow in a game where the team has played well(and he was actually playing really well).
Ouch, just allowed a goal with under a minute to go. To OT we go...

Marino, Rikola, and Ruwedel were just fantastic tonight. They were very physical and great positionally tonight. Big win in OT with Jared McCann coming up big. This team just continues to impress!

Deflection in front. Can’t fault him on that one. McCann the OT winner and the Pens get the 2 points!
Agreed. It was more so in response to the lost I quoted saying the Murray haters got new ammo tonight. But talk about a big win. On the road, come-from-behind, emotionally drained after the late goal.

IIRC, we should be back above the Islanders for now. What a gauntlet of a division.

Sometimes when a star of that caliber comes back, there can be a short adjustment period but I don't see that with this team or with Sid. These guys remind me of those famous Red Army teams of the 70's. They just keep rolling. Injuries, hot opponents or goalies, home vs road, injuries, opponents' style of play, quality of opponent, injuries.....non of it matters. Did I say injuries?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You go out West, and play the two best teams, without Sid, Guentzel, Dumo and Schultz....and you get 4 out of 4 points? WOWZA!!!

The Pens are so set at goalie...for now. This offseason, they have some big decisions with both Jarry and Murray as RFA's. Also, not this offseason, but next offseason, the Seattle expansion draft and if both are on the roster then, the Pens will have the exact same situation as they did with Vegas and Murray/Fleury. That ain't gonna happen again.

Don’t look now but the pens have the third mosh points in the NHL.

pretty amazing given the injuries

Credit goes to sully for getting the team to buy in Moving Phil out turned out to be a great move even though they lost quite a bit of offense. The team has far more jump consistently than they did last year when rhe came out flat more often than not

Does the Wilkes Barre team have any good prospects? The team is in Austin next week and I plan on going to watch.

Thanks.
The most recognizable names are probably G DeSmith, C Di Pauli (if he isn’t still in the NHL), and D Oliver-Joseph who they received in the Kessel trade. Might be a few more that move back down after everyone heals up, who knows.

IIRC their head coach is Clark Donatelli, who I thought did a great job while at Wheeling.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT