ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pirate fans

nosellout

Redshirt
Sep 4, 2002
I just watched No No a Dockumentary, excellent documentary about the life of former Pirate pitcher Dock Ellis. If anybody gets a chance I highly recommend watching, wether you are a Pirate fan or just a baseball fan in general. It's only available to be streamed.

The Dock Ellis story is always fascinating.

Seems like an appropriate place to plug Sawchik's new book, "Big Data Baseball", which was released today and chronicles the 2013 Pirates. It's been getting good reviews by some of the more respected writers out there, such as Jonah Keri, Ben Lindbergh, the Hardball Times authors, and Murray Chass (just kidding on the last one).

The Dock Ellis story is always fascinating.

Seems like an appropriate place to plug Sawchik's new book, "Big Data Baseball", which was released today and chronicles the 2013 Pirates. It's been getting good reviews by some of the more respected writers out there, such as Jonah Keri, Ben Lindbergh, the Hardball Times authors, and Murray Chass (just kidding on the last one).

What is it about? Sabremetrics and Analytics?

What is it about? Sabremetrics and Analytics?

Kind of sort of. Also talks about how the Pirates were ahead of the curve at integrating the front office and clubhouse and gets into stories about backgrounds and behind-the-scenes operators. Searage gets a section, Rene Gayo (Latin American Scouting Director) gets a section which is apparently interesting for the Latin American scouting anecdotes.

There's also apparently some insights into ahead-of-the-curve research they've done related to health and how to present scouting reports or peel back the layers.

The analytics heavily drove their success so it plays a central part, but it sounds like the non-analytics guys also get page space.

Here's a review that's a little more in-depth than the others I've read, complete with some excerpts of some interesting passages:

Big Data Baseball a Big Hit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT