ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Player scouting & Development - Pittsburgh Pirates

pittmeister

Assistant Coach
May 26, 2010
This thread is for the disenchanted and miserable... It gives you something else to piss and moan about besides Pitt athletes....

Here is the current list of Pirate prospects per MLB.com after the trade deadline. Almost half the prospects have come from other teams. You can say all you want about Nutting being a cheap wad (and he is), but this is an indictment on scouting and developing. In a small market, you can't operate like this.

The list includes (from left to right) Player Rank, Player, current level, and how they were acquired.... Pitiful

1 - Nick Gonzales / 2B /A+ / Draft 2020 - 1st Round

2 - Quinn Priester / RHP / A+ / Draft 2019 - 1st Round

3 - Oneil Cruz / SS / AA / Trade 2017 - LAD - Tony Watson

4 - Liover Peguero / SS / A+ / Trade 2020 - Arizona - Starling Marte

5 - Hudson Head / OF / A / Trade 2020 - San Diego - Joe Musgrove

6 - Tahnaj Thomas / RHP / A+ / Trade 2018 - Cleveland - Luplow & Moroff

7 - Tucupita Marcano / INF / AAA / Trade 2021 - San Diego - Adam Frazier

8 - Brennan Malone / RHP / ROK / Trade 2020 - Arizona - Starling Marte

9 - Travis Swaggerty / OF / AAA Draft 2018 - 1st Round

10 - Cody Bolton / RHP / AA / Draft 2017 - 6th Round

11 - Carmen Mlodzinski / RHP / A+ / 31st overall selection in the Competitive Balance A round of the 2020

12 - Miguel Yajure / RHP / AAA / Trade 2020 - NYY - Jameson Taillon

13 - Eddy Yean / RHP / A / Trade 2020 - Washington - Josh Bell

14 - Ji-hwan Bae / 2B-SS /AA / Free Agent 2018

15 - Mason Martin / 1B / AA / Draft 2017 - 17th Round

16 - Jared Oliva / OF / MLB / Draft 2017 - 7th Round

17 - Jared Jones / RHP / A / Draft 2020 - 2nd Round

18 - Cal Mitchell / OF / AA / Draft 2017 - 2nd Round

19 - Sammy Siani / OF / A / 37th overall selection in the Competitive Balance A round of the 2019

20 - Roansy Contreras / RHP / AA / Trade 2020 - NYY - Jameson Taillon

21 - Nick Garcia / RHP / A / Draft 2020 - 3rd Round

22 - Braxton Ashcraft / RHP / A+ / Draft 2018 - 2nd Round

23 - Omar Cruz / LHP / AA / Trade 2020 - San Diego - Joe Musgrove

24 - Canaan Smith / OF / AA / Trade 2020 - NYY - Jameson Taillon

25 - Endy Rodriguez / C-OF / A / Trade 2020 - San Diego - Joe Musgrove

26 - Max Kranick / RHP / MLB / Draft 2016 - 11th Round

27 - Michael Burrows / RHP / A+ / Draft 2018 - 11th Round

28 - Alexander Mojica / 3B / A / Free Agent 2018

29 - Dariel Lopez / INF / A / Free Agent 2018

30 - Carter Bins / C / AA / Trade 2021 - Seattle - Tyler Anderson

They are so poorly managed. They would screw up a one car funeral.

This thread is for the disenchanted and miserable... It gives you something else to piss and moan about besides Pitt athletes....

Here is the current list of Pirate prospects per MLB.com after the trade deadline. Almost half the prospects have come from other teams. You can say all you want about Nutting being a cheap wad (and he is), but this is an indictment on scouting and developing. In a small market, you can't operate like this.

The list includes (from left to right) Player Rank, Player, current level, and how they were acquired.... Pitiful

1 - Nick Gonzales / 2B /A+ / Draft 2020 - 1st Round

2 - Quinn Priester / RHP / A+ / Draft 2019 - 1st Round

3 - Oneil Cruz / SS / AA / Trade 2017 - LAD - Tony Watson

4 - Liover Peguero / SS / A+ / Trade 2020 - Arizona - Starling Marte

5 - Hudson Head / OF / A / Trade 2020 - San Diego - Joe Musgrove

6 - Tahnaj Thomas / RHP / A+ / Trade 2018 - Cleveland - Luplow & Moroff

7 - Tucupita Marcano / INF / AAA / Trade 2021 - San Diego - Adam Frazier

8 - Brennan Malone / RHP / ROK / Trade 2020 - Arizona - Starling Marte

9 - Travis Swaggerty / OF / AAA Draft 2018 - 1st Round

10 - Cody Bolton / RHP / AA / Draft 2017 - 6th Round

11 - Carmen Mlodzinski / RHP / A+ / 31st overall selection in the Competitive Balance A round of the 2020

12 - Miguel Yajure / RHP / AAA / Trade 2020 - NYY - Jameson Taillon

13 - Eddy Yean / RHP / A / Trade 2020 - Washington - Josh Bell

14 - Ji-hwan Bae / 2B-SS /AA / Free Agent 2018

15 - Mason Martin / 1B / AA / Draft 2017 - 17th Round

16 - Jared Oliva / OF / MLB / Draft 2017 - 7th Round

17 - Jared Jones / RHP / A / Draft 2020 - 2nd Round

18 - Cal Mitchell / OF / AA / Draft 2017 - 2nd Round

19 - Sammy Siani / OF / A / 37th overall selection in the Competitive Balance A round of the 2019

20 - Roansy Contreras / RHP / AA / Trade 2020 - NYY - Jameson Taillon

21 - Nick Garcia / RHP / A / Draft 2020 - 3rd Round

22 - Braxton Ashcraft / RHP / A+ / Draft 2018 - 2nd Round

23 - Omar Cruz / LHP / AA / Trade 2020 - San Diego - Joe Musgrove

24 - Canaan Smith / OF / AA / Trade 2020 - NYY - Jameson Taillon

25 - Endy Rodriguez / C-OF / A / Trade 2020 - San Diego - Joe Musgrove

26 - Max Kranick / RHP / MLB / Draft 2016 - 11th Round

27 - Michael Burrows / RHP / A+ / Draft 2018 - 11th Round

28 - Alexander Mojica / 3B / A / Free Agent 2018

29 - Dariel Lopez / INF / A / Free Agent 2018

30 - Carter Bins / C / AA / Trade 2021 - Seattle - Tyler Anderson
I’m interested to see how many of their 2021 draft picks make it into the top ten.

Reactions: TFBaum
I don't know, maybe you could be glad they made some good trades. The one thing I'll agree with you on is the lack of international players on this list, which equates to lack of identifying and developing international players. Bae is pretty much the only one and they only got him due to the int. FA scandal. Mojica and Lopez at the bottom are also international signings, but I suspect they will drop out of the Top 30 when this year's draft class is added.

Pirates supposedly started putting a lot of money into international players a few years ago, but there is no ROI on that. I feel like every time I look at another teams MLB top 30 prospects lists, there are 3 or 4 guys in the top ten from international signings. In fact, some of those prospects we traded to get were international signings by their original team. Pirates need to do better signing and developing international players.

Almost half the prospects have come from other teams. You can say all you want about Nutting being a cheap wad (and he is), but this is an indictment on scouting and developing.
I count 12 of the 30 as Ben Cherington acquisitions. This list doesn’t include recent draft picks. I’d bet at least 4 of those would make this list. So in less than two years, the new management team has improved the farm system tremendously. Still remains to be seen if there is improvement on the development side.

I count 12 of the 30 as Ben Cherington acquisitions. This list doesn’t include recent draft picks. I’d bet at least 4 of those would make this list. So in less than two years, the new management team has improved the farm system tremendously. Still remains to be seen if there is improvement on the development side.
And let's also understand for some weird reason, the MLB draft last year was like only 4-5 rounds. So there wasn't much of an opportunity to add for Cherrington and company. It is certainly an indictment of Huntingdon and company, but we already knew that.

And let's also understand for some weird reason, the MLB draft last year was like only 4-5 rounds. So there wasn't much of an opportunity to add for Cherrington and company. It is certainly an indictment of Huntingdon and company, but we already knew that.
True, I thought of that after making my post. It was five rounds but the Bucs had six picks (pick 31 was a compensatory pick of some sort). 1, 11, 17 & 21 on the list above were from those 6 picks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT