ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Replacing the Mon Incline

Johnstown (Hellhole) has been closed for Decay for three years with no improvement in site. At what point do they just flood it and make a nice dam.
three years?? Three decades comes up short...Might have to throw in one of those Lincoln three "scores" as far as that timeframe goes...

Smart people would be able to figure out how to modernize it yet retain the facade/charm of it.
It would be downright insulting to think that someone from Pitt and/or CMU couldn’t come-up with a solution for this.

three years?? Three decades comes up short...Might have to throw in one of those Lincoln three "scores" as far as that timeframe goes...

Yes Johnstown is one of the most disgusting hell holes in America Maybe the World.

Yes Johnstown is one of the most disgusting hell holes in America Maybe the World.

My grandparents lived on McKinley back in the day (I think they moved in the early 90's). Maybe it's just because I was young, but I have fond memories of that area - at least that street. It was actually, dare I say, nice.

I drove past five or six years ago, though, and was shocked (well, kind of - I knew it was bad now). I kept looking around for video equipment because I thought they had to be filming some type of post-apocalyptic zombie movie. And then some little shit jumped in front of my car and kep making faces and not letting me drive past.

My grandparents lived on McKinley back in the day (I think they moved in the early 90's). Maybe it's just because I was young, but I have fond memories of that area - at least that street. It was actually, dare I say, nice.

I drove past five or six years ago, though, and was shocked (well, kind of - I knew it was bad now). I kept looking around for video equipment because I thought they had to be filming some type of post-apocalyptic zombie movie. And then some little shit jumped in front of my car and kep making faces and not letting me drive past.
Taking 15,000 Bethlehem Steel jobs in a town topping out at 60,000 and making it 0 will do that to a place in the course of a generation. That's why Tom Cruise had to get out.....Only thing saving the place from being swallowed up whole is that it is the medical hub for the general area. Docs and nurses live like kings in the suburbs with a low cost of living....I sold my mom's house for $0 after she died...

• Wow
Reactions: Upg bobcat
Taking 15,000 Bethlehem Steel jobs in a town topping out at 60,000 and making it 0 will do that to a place in the course of a generation. That's why Tom Cruise had to get out.....Only thing saving the place from being swallowed up whole is that it is the medical hub for the general area. Docs and nurses live like kings in the suburbs with a low cost of living....I sold my mom's house for $0 after she died...

Ya once the old people die which is happening at an alarming rate it will be even worse less doctors nurses needed. Lost 50K people in 40 years. Yet they have closed no High Schools and keep raising taxes. Wonder what happens when nobody is left to pay the taxes??? Not sure how Conemaugh or whatever it is called can stay open much longer. Goddamn that would be depressing living there.

Jack Murtha Dying just sped it up.

Ya real Shit hole. When your grandparents where there people took pride in there home and it’s appearance, now that neighborhood is probably full of section 8 and welfare trash…

Seriously, is this the stupidest thing leadership in Pittsburgh has ever proposed? Add to it how the article describes how the incline is one of the most cost effective public transportation system routes in the city.

Replacing or "significantly altering" one of the city's biggest tourist attractions? One of the city's most unique, photographed, and iconic features? It is like San Francisco proposing to replace their cable cars with buses.

How absolutely moronic are these people? The fact that it is even being broached as a possibility is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard proposed, and that is a pretty high bar on stupidity.
I don't understand why the system is unreliable. Is the problem deferred maintenance? Something else? I find it interesting to note that the article states the following:

"The incline shut down again last Tuesday due to a computer issue that is causing the doors to malfunction, said Kelleman. She said there is no timeline yet for when the Mon Incline will reopen, but the agency is hoping the issue will be resolved in a matter of days or weeks"

I'm going out on a limb here and stating that the incline doors were not initially operated by a computer. Sounds like the "upgraded technology" is actually introducing new problems.

What I really don't understand is why can't they get this system to work reliably? San Francisco has been running cable cars since 1878 and it's pretty darned reliable. (and yes I realize that an incline is different than a cable car).
It seems crazy to throw out something that is a a Pittsburgh landmark.

Yeah, my uncle (doctor) and aunt (nurse) chose to stay in the area (Richland), as did my cousin (doctor), so I guess there must be something to that.

But I was always closer to the other side of the family, where the closest thing performed to a medical procedure would be to get drunk, cut something open, and "drain it out." My mom and her siblings are mostly normal, but it's humbling when you starting branching out a bit on the family tree. $0 would be asking way too much for some of their houses. Yet even the ones who could have gotten out haven't. My aunt/uncle have chosen to live in Creslo (if you're familiar with it, you know) all their lives. I have some family closer to Altoona who are the same way. Absolute dump of a town called Williamsburg, and they will never leave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT