ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rumor I heard in the mid-90's about Barry Bonds as a Pirate

pittpitt

Freshman
Nov 30, 2002
I heard this story about Barry Bonds when I was at Pitt in the mid- to late-90's, but I'm curious if anyone else has heard this or not. I was told that the Pirates were going to auction off a baseball signed by the team to raise money for something (I think it was a child with cancer), and everyone gladly signed the ball, but Bonds refused. They explained it was to raise money for whatever, and he said he still wouldn't sign it, so someone from the organization had to pull a Barry Bonds signed ball from the team store and have everyone else sign that.

Anyone else heard this?

The story has all the trademarks of a greatly exaggerated urban legend. He certainly wasn't an angel and didn't make a lot of friends in the local media when he left in 1992.

However, he did a large amount of charity work throughout his career. He founded the Barry Bonds Family Foundation in 1993 and has organized bone marrow drives in his name to help leukemia patients. I would highly doubt his attitude toward helping the sick and needy would have been a complete 180 degree difference just one year earlier in his career, but who knows?

This post was edited on 3/25 12:38 PM by JoseLind13

Originally posted by JoseLind13:
The story has all the trademarks of a greatly exaggerated urban legend. He certainly wasn't an angel and didn't make a lot of friends in the local media when he left in 1992.

However, he did a large amount of charity work throughout his career. He founded the Barry Bonds Family Foundation in 1993 and has organized bone marrow drives in his name to help leukemia patients. I would highly doubt his attitude toward helping the sick and needy would have been a complete 180 degree difference just one year earlier in his career, but who knows?

This post was edited on 3/25 12:38 PM by JoseLind13
I can't comment on whether or not the OP's story is true, but one I experienced related to Bonds is 100% true. I believe it was in 1991, but the Pirates had organized a charity signing auction for the entire team at Three Rivers. I can't remember the cause, but the way the event worked was that the Pirates gave you a picture book of the entire team and you were free to move throughout and get everyone's autograph.

Every single player and coach on the roster was there except Barry Bonds. Drabek, Van Sylke, Bonilla...all of the stars. Just no Barry. Not the same as refusing to sign a ball for a cancer patient, but in the same vein. I've still got the booklet with everyone but Bonds.

yeah i dont know about the autograph story but when i was a baby my parents won some contest to go down on the field and meet the pirates after a game... got pictures of me as a baby with bonilla, van slyke, etc... barry was not present from what my parents say. i mean i have no idea if he had things to do or he just didn't want to be there but my parents thought he would be there for it as all the other pirates big stars of the time were and barry wasn't.

Barry was great to us. When we were kids he would come over and play cards with us, betting Whopper's Malted Milk Balls that we would use as the pot instead of cash. We were young. He was always polite and helped us clean up afterwards. One time he came with tickets and field passes, hosted us all after the game with a pizza party, signing every article and autograph possible long into the night. He told some funny jokes, it was great.

from what I heard BB was perfectly capable of pulling something like that. I don't know if it is true or not but I would be interested in knowing what prompted this post 23 years after Bonds left Pittsburgh. Slow day?

I grew up in Bethel Park and I'd go over my buddy's house every day in the summer when I was young.. We spent two summers, literally every day, going up to the house from my buddy's to say hello and meet Lynn Swann.. Two summers, every day and not once did he answer... I hated him for that... Only years later did I realize that the house we were going to wasn't Lynn Swann's house...

Back to the OP, people that complain about athletes not giving them autographs are dorks... Why do you want a signature on a piece of paper?? Especially if you are an adult. I'll go so far to say, if you are an adult, and you seek autographs, you should get punched in the face at least once a week for the rest of your life.. IF you are under 10, OK I get it, kids are dumb..

Pghfan- I'm going to assume your comment about autograph seekers was for me. I agree with you. I was ten at the time when seeking Bonds autograph as part of charity signing event that every player but him showed up for. My opinion of him is more about the fact that he couldn't show up for a charity event than not getting his autograph.

As for any adults looking for autographs, I'll take it a step further. People who bug athletes or other famous people in any way when they are out in public, especially with family and friends, are losers with very few exceptions.

A True Story About Clemente

I came from the upper Alleghenies, getting to a baseball game for the second time, believe it was the summer of 65, and I would still be a 10 year old. Against the Phillies, the game went 16 innings, Phil won 4-3, only reason buccos stayed in it was Roberto went 5 for 7, scored 2 and drove in the other for the bucs, even had an assist at the plate that kept the game alive.

After the game, the adults that brought us down, agreed to let us stay and get autographs outside the Pirates exit at Forbes Field. Alas, being small for my age, I was getting overwhelmed by kids running to each player as they came out. Somewhat accidentally, I ended up positioned near an outlying door, all alone.

That door opened, out came Roberto, I asked him for his autograph, he said to me, and I shall always remember this, "Go see Phils, they won game". It crushed me. He hustled to his car before other kids could get to him, and headed out of the parking lot.

Sorry to say, I became a Giants fan after that, couldn't stand the rejection, and harbored a grudge whenever I heard Roberto called a great humanitarian who loved his fellow man.

I have long since realized that this was a case of an extra inning game, a very long day where he gave his all. But to a ten year old country hick, it was a crushing moment that is still embedded in the grey matter, visually and verbally. I don't begrudge Roberto any more, realize he was a very good person and a great ball player.

Unless you have multiple examples of misbehavior, any one instance is enough to carry a solid grudge on a player. Just sayin.

Stan Savern hates his guts and tells a story of how the players would kick in some cash to the clubhouse guys at the end of the season. Somewhat a customary thing to do, but Bonds wouldn't give a dime to the fund. Guys was a di** then, now and will die a di**. So far the HOF voters see him in this light as a cheater and hopefully will die knowing that in the end, he is a scumbag of the highest order is his legacy.

I don't know this story but all I know is my own. I attended an invite I my baseball camp in 1988 and brought my little brother who was about 10. Bonds graciously donated his time and worked with the outfielders. I worked with some pirate pitchers... Well at the end my little brother won an official MLB baseball in a raffle and in front of everyone asked bonds for an autograph. Bonds said "you have to go through my agent for that" and waved him off. The crowd literally booed and bonds said "oh wait kid come back I'll sign it" to which my little bro said "no thanks, I don't want your autograph anymore" as mike bilecki was signing his ball. The crowd cheered and bonds ran off the field.

Bonds was a dick to my brother and I in '91 as well. We were looking for autographs before a late season game and when Bonds finally arrived and we asked, he said no because his lunch was getting cold. He never even looked our way. Its minor compared to others but we definitely felt slighted.

I don't think the team store sold autographs in those days.

FWIW, the version I heard was that the team had to buy the balls off of QVC.

Also FWIW, quick Bobby Bonilla story. Late 80s or 1990, friends of mine, (elementary school aged), are at a restaurant with their parents and Bobby Bo is there with his family. A few people interrupted their meal, but he still said hello, signed autographs. My friends did not. As the Bonillas were leaving, Bobby comes over to my friends table, thanks them for not bugging him while he was eating, and signs autographs for them.

Shame he had to chase the money, but heck, the Mets are still paying him!

Originally posted by West Coast Panther:
Pghfan - Swan lived on Eastview, right? At least that's what i remembered when growing up in Bethel.
Im not sure. The house we went to every day was on Hillcrest.. So you may be right..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT