ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shopping at a mall in 1983

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008

What stands out to me the most is not just how quiet the store is without some loud annoying music being blasted over the speakers, but also how much pride in appearance the people have. They not only look clean and nicely dressed, but actually fashionable. The majority seen here are also not morbidly obese and poured into yoga pants. I was 8 years old in 1983. I grew up in the 1980's, and this isn't some one-off that the people seen here look and act the way they do. We had higher standards then. Now, if the bar for what is considered a standard for personal hygiene, conduct, and dress were set any lower, one could step over it. We've regressed as a society.

Before Amazon and internet. Social media was calling people on the telephone or face to face. No smart phones. People paid with cash, credit cards or checks. Made in USA was still prevalent and stores and malls all over were thriving. Cost of things was a little higher than today but Consumer goods were made to last longer versus cheap and throwaway now.

Lastly I remember just before school starting going to back to school shopping at stores like Hills, Kaufmanns, Gimbels, JC Penney and others. And trying on clothes in fitting rooms with my Mom complimenting me as to how handsome I looked in the new clothing. And when checking out watching her grab her check book and write checks to pay. Love the childhood memories of shopping like this with Mom that this video brings back!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News