ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The forgotten PENS

This team doesn't deserve to make playoffs.
Cannon fodder even if they do.
Tons of stars, no work ethic.

Pens 3 Nashville 2, end of 2nd period

Caps 1 Bruins 0, end of 2nd period

Canadiens 4 Red Wings 2, end of 2nd period

Islanders 3 Devils 1, end of 2nd period

Need Canadiens and Bruins to come through and of course Pens need to win !

Pens need to stay aggressive but play smart ! ..... no bad pinches or penalties, no bad turnovers in neutral zone, puck possession and good puck management ...... Ned will probably have to stand on his head in 3rd period

Reactions: BreakingPitt
Pens 3 Nashville 2, end of 2nd period

Caps 1 Bruins 0, end of 2nd period

Canadiens 4 Red Wings 2, end of 2nd period

Islanders 3 Devils 1, end of 2nd period

Need Canadiens and Bruins to come through and of course Pens need to win !

Pens need to stay aggressive but play smart ! ..... no bad pinches or penalties, no bad turnovers in neutral zone, puck possession and good puck management ...... Ned will probably have to stand on his head in 3rd period
That's a tall order

Bruins went ape$hit against us last game, but of course are sleepwalking against Caps tonight.

Sucks we're begging for scraps to squeeze into playoffs.
We've really sunk to a low level.
In No Trade Clause Hell.

Reactions: ONGB
Bruins with 11 shots on goal through 2.5 periods. That's the kind of defensive effort we needed against Boston

• Angry
Reactions: FreeportPanther
Pens 4 Nashville 2, Final

Caps 2 Bruins 0, Final

Montreal and Detroit 4-4 playing in OT

Islanders 4 Devils 1, Final

If Pens beat Islanders and Caps don't beat Flyers in regulation, we are in. We have tie breaker on Caps and Red Wings.

We played like a bunch of fancy pants dancers against the Bruins and Washington plays them like they are Habs of 76-77.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
If Pens beat Islanders and Caps don't beat Flyers in regulation, we are in.

That is incorrect. If the Caps get two points they will finish with one point more than the Penguins. Also, even if the Caps lose, if Detroit beats Montreal they will finish ahead of the Pens as well.

Doesn't make any difference if we beat the Islanders.

Sure it does. They have 89 points and the Pens have 88. If they get two points against Montreal in the next game the Pens can't pass them in the standings.

The Pens need both the Caps and the Wings to miss out on at least one point, plus beating the Islanders.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
I said well before this streak happened, the worst thing the Pens do is go on a run then finish short. And that is exactly what it looks like will happen. I would have rather than go 0-7-3 in that streak than 7-0-3. Because they lose the 1st rd pick and they mask the obvious warts.
We choose whether or not to give SJ this first rounder. I’ll assume they give this one to SJ as it is now a low one. Is that not correct???

Sure it does. They have 89 points and the Pens have 88. If they get two points against Montreal in the next game the Pens can't pass them in the standings.

The Pens need both the Caps and the Wings to miss out on at least one point, plus beating the Islanders.
Sorry, Joe, you are right, I thought Detroit and Caps had 88 points as well, they have 89 and you are correct ..... thanks for the correction.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
We choose whether or not to give SJ this first rounder. I’ll assume they give this one to SJ as it is now a low one. Is that not correct???
It was top 10 protected. Now it won't be Top 10, so they will get Pens first rounder.
Also if Carolina makes finals, Pens get their first rounder.

Reactions: Dan1911
Sorry, Joe, you are right, I thought Detroit and Caps had 88 points as well, they have 89 and you are correct ..... thanks for the correction.
Exactly. The point they got by tying us in regulation was huge.
just another in a long line of disappointments this year

Reactions: goalieman
It was top 10 protected. Now it won't be Top 10, so they will get Pens first rounder.
Also if Carolina makes finals, Pens get their first rounder.
Joe the Panther Fan can correct me if I'm wrong ..... but I believe that if the Pens don't make the Playoffs and are thus in the bottom 16 teams (they are 14th from bottom after their game tonight .... some games are still going on), they will be part of the NHL Draft Lottery where 2 different picks are made and if their number comes up in one of those two picks, they could move up 10 or 9 slots to number 4 or 5 in the 1st Round of the Draft (they can't move up to number 1-3), if so it would be a top 10 pick and protected (the chances of the #14 from the bottom team getting their number picked is 1.5%, so really low).

You are right that if Carolina gets to the SCF's, we get their number 1 pick in 2024 instead of the Flyers pick in round 2 and if they win the Stanley Cup we also get their 5th round pick in 2024.

I isn't over until it's over but agree it looks like it's almost over (one site still gives the Pens a 14.6% chance of making the Playoffs as of right now) ...... but, really, the Pens have no one but themselves to blame if they don't make the Playoffs ..... too many terrible losses to non-Playoff teams, terrible PP, terrible in OT/SO games, poor structure and poor positional play in too many games, too many odd man breaks against, both goalies having a bad stretch earlier in the second half of the season, not enough secondary scoring from the bottom six and the list goes on and on .......

Reactions: TheChair
I isn't over until it's over but agree it looks like it's almost over (one site still gives the Pens a 14.6% chance of making the Playoffs as of right now) ...... but, really, the Pens have no one but themselves to blame if they don't make the Playoffs ..... too many terrible losses to non-Playoff teams, terrible PP, terrible in OT/SO games, poor structure and poor positional play in too many games, too many odd man breaks against, both goalies having a bad stretch earlier in the second half of the season, not enough secondary scoring from the bottom six and the list goes on and on .......
Here's why I feared making a late run and falling short of the playoffs. Another year wasted with the core. Another year where they can make excuses that they are "close" and therefore don't need to make major changes.

2019. They were swept by the Islanders 4-0. They scored 5 total goals in those 4 games, yet we managed to convince ourselves it was a goaltender problem. It was right then and there, the core needed to be blown up.
2020. Covid. That is why the Pens lost a 5 game "qualifying round" to the 24th ranked Canadiens.
2021. Lost to the Islanders in 6. It was all Tristan Jarry's fault. (It was alot his fault). But again, Casey DeSmith hurt, no backup, the Pens management failed to address the goalie situation.
2022. Lost to the Rangers in 7. Again, Jarry and DeSmith hurt. Had to play a minor league journeyman Spicy Pork Lo Mein or whatever his name and he eventually wilted. But the Pens had a 3-1 lead. Trouba knocked Sid out a couple of games, but they had a lead going into the 3rd period and stop me if you heard this one before.
2023. All they needed to do is beat the Blue Jackets or Blackhawks the last 2 games to make the playoffs.....they didn't.

It's time to move on from Sully. It is time to revamp this roster which I will go into in another post on who stays, who goes, who would I shop?

Reactions: pittbb80
All true, but perhaps the longest run on sentence ever posted, and still going......... LOL

• Haha
Reactions: goalieman
Here's why I feared making a late run and falling short of the playoffs. Another year wasted with the core. Another year where they can make excuses that they are "close" and therefore don't need to make major changes.

It's time to move on from Sully. It is time to revamp this roster which I will go into in another post on who stays, who goes, who would I shop?
Hopefully, Dubas sees through it and starts the necessary overhaul. As long as Crosby is here, they'll try to re-tool. Won't be an easy task. If they can find a taker for Karlsson they need to ship him out, if for no other reason than cap space.

And, yep, seems the Bruins hate the Pens and brought a solid effort Saturday and then mailed it in yesterday. If Pens don't get in, I hope it's the Wings. Heck of a finish last night to put them in that position. Query: anyone know who gets in if both Caps and Wings get two points tonight? Will it matter if it's regulation or OT?

Tie Breaker is RW (Regulation Wins) Caps 31 to Detroit 27 , soo Washington would be in.
Penguins currently have 32 RW , but they suck in OT, so another season wasted because they can't play 3 v 3.
Honestly 3 vs 3 is a gimmick and not hockey, but its the rules we are dealt.

Joe the Panther Fan can correct me if I'm wrong ..... but I believe that if the Pens don't make the Playoffs and are thus in the bottom 16 teams (they are 14th from bottom after their game tonight .... some games are still going on), they will be part of the NHL Draft Lottery where 2 different picks are made and if their number comes up in one of those two picks, they could move up 10 or 9 slots to number 4 or 5 in the 1st Round of the Draft (they can't move up to number 1-3), if so it would be a top 10 pick and protected (the chances of the #14 from the bottom team getting their number picked is 1.5%, so really low).

Yeah, that's basically it. Even if the Pens win the lottery they can't get the number one pick. The max number of positions you can move up is 10.

Ice Hockey Hello GIF by NHL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT