ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Thoughts on Pirates draft

MattP31

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2013
Considering I’ve seen a bunch of these players I figured I’d pass this long post on each pick in the draft and if you have any questions feel free. Didn’t want to bury it in the other thread

Henry Davis. Great pick. Underslot but there is no true #1 in a traditional year so taking top college bat with savings is big. Likely to stay at catcher(at least to me), but more than enough bat if he had to move

Anthony Solometo. MadBum delivery and a nasty fastball with a ton of movement. I watched him make a lineup of top hitters in country look clueless last September in Fenway at a All Star game

Lonnie White. You guys stole one from PSU football so thanks. Five tool if he hits enough. I think he does after dropping FB. Saw him as a soph face Jack Leiter and came away more impressed with him than 2019 NYY first rounder Volpe or 2020 UVA Freshman AA Newell.

Bubba Chandler. Your 4th first round talent. Legit two way potential. I like him better as an arm, but serious SS potential as well. Major gains to be made as he drops hitting/pitching and football, but will take some time.

Owen Kellington. Another overslot due to first pick savings. Super raw but Projectable and nice fastball and makings of nice curve to work with. Massive competition jump coming

Jackson Glenn. Productive senior sign from college baseball’s Gonzaga/Xavier. Older obviously and a bit of one year wonder but with versatility it’s not hard to project utility type with some pop

Mike Jarvis. Athletic senior sign who projects as a utility type

Wyatt Hendrie. Athletic catcher profiles best as a backup unless he can make some gains with the bat

Sean Sullivan. Pitchability back end starter with a high floor

Luke Brown. Fourth outfielder type with a lot of speed and good feel for contact from a top program. Lack of any power limits upside

Justin Meis. Intriguing arm talent from a small school. The type of guy pro teams love to get in the system fairly cheap and see if they can develop. Low percentage but real upside if it all clicks

Jack Carey. Weird pitcher because he has good stuff but the results just haven’t been there. Needs a lot of work but a worthwhile risk this late

Chazz Martinez. Interesting arm with mid rotation upside but just hasn’t thrown much so a ton of question marks. Has the stuff to succeed in relief if he doesn’t have it in him to start

Owen Sharts. Coming off TJ. Significantly higher talent than this but the health concerns are obvious. Good risk/reward play here

Braylon Bishop. Not gonna sign unless someone else fails a physical. Hes insurance. Definite First round pure talent but a major hitch in his swing that helps take away the advantages of his elite bat speed and he is not willing to make changes to the swing at this time. Will probably take him experiencing some failure first based on how much he is stuck on his opinion

Tyler Samaniego. Lefty reliever with interesting stuff but still new to pitching as he was a converted position player

Daniel Corona. Highly unlikely to sign but another insurance policy in case one of the top guys fails a physical. A Top 5 rounds talent

Carlos Lomeli. Relief arm who without a velo gain(could happen with him) profiles as a middle reliever upside guy

AJ Graham. High schooler with some athleticism but not much present power.

Drew Irvine. Reliever(in the pros) with good fastball and slider combo but command issues

Brenden Dixon. JUCO who could be looking to consider going pro as the job he hoped for didnt open up(Arkansas SS undrafted). Has some power in his ba

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News