ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tomlin’s Offense

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Just was we suspected, this is on Tomlin as much as it’s in Canada. Does Tomlin want to stunt the growth of his 1st round QB for the sake of a 1st round playoff defeat?

Tomlin knows that Art2 is happy with mediocrity and that will ensure Tomlin's family wealth for generations to come.
The rest of Pittsburgh can blame Pickett .

Reactions: 303vND
Nah
See a poster told us the coordinators run the show - not the HC

I mean although it’s a slog to watch - the fact that Kenny is protecting the ball and we are wining turnover battles is the only reason they are 6-3
So maybe Tomlin has a point ?

JT O'Sullivan seems to think that it's a bad offense and that Canada doesn't have a good understanding of passing concepts.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I've been saying this all along. I am sure that tomlin has instructed both canada and Pickett to not gamble when they have the ball. Play that conservative low scoring offense, play good defense and kick FG's. Typical 1970's steelers style football and that is what the Rooney's want.
This style of football will always keep the steelers in the game because it creates the low scoring games that tomlin likes. This also explains why, there appears to be a different Kenny Pickett playing the 4th quarter of most games when the steelers are losing. Pickett is then allowed a little more relaxed then. It has to be an absolute horrible experience for him to play in an offense that prevents him showing the rest of the league the talent and skills that made him a Heisman Trophy Finalist.

Nah
See a poster told us the coordinators run the show - not the HC

I mean although it’s a slog to watch - the fact that Kenny is protecting the ball and we are wining turnover battles is the only reason they are 6-3
So maybe Tomlin has a point ?
It’s short sided in my opinion. Again, sacrificing the QBs growth for useless playoff contention. It’s like winning the battle but sacrificing the war. I’d rather see him play the long game here and look to be a real contender next year.

Reactions: Burgh15
Not sure what you mean?
it is coming off as tomlin is making Canada call conservative plays to protect Pickett but we saw a similar conservative system with Mitch at QB as well as Ben. So my question is, where they trying to protect those two as well?

if it was a different system or more aggressive plays with Mitch or Ben at qb then this excuse would make sense but if it's the same under 3 starting qbs, the system is the common denominator here, not the qb.

Reactions: 303vND
It’s short sided in my opinion. Again, sacrificing the QBs growth for useless playoff contention. It’s like winning the battle but sacrificing the war. I’d rather see him play the long game here and look to be a real contender next year.
It’s not about curbing growth
It’s about winning games
The offense was no different with Mitch .

It’s the nfl analogy of Dixon hoops

the lack of any attempts in the middle of the field makes no sense. asking a QB, pickett or anyone, to make these sideline throws is riskier than throwing quick little slants or button-hook patterns.

Throwing it to the sideline every play isnt a way to protect a qb with a perceived 'weak arm,' it's the opposite. again, having Heyward or washington or Muth (if he's ever over his period and can get off of IR) just running a little 6 yard "hook" in front of the linebackers is protecting a qb, it should be a staple of a conservative offense..

zero play action passes, we are an offense that runs the least amount of play action passes and we are known as a run first offense. again, this makes no sense, it's just non-sensical. this isnt tomlin or canada protecting Pickett, this is dumb systematic mistakes..

I've been saying this all along. I am sure that tomlin has instructed both canada and Pickett to not gamble when they have the ball. Play that conservative low scoring offense, play good defense and kick FG's. Typical 1970's steelers style football and that is what the Rooney's want.
This style of football will always keep the steelers in the game because it creates the low scoring games that tomlin likes. This also explains why, there appears to be a different Kenny Pickett playing the 4th quarter of most games when the steelers are losing. Pickett is then allowed a little more relaxed then. It has to be an absolute horrible experience for him to play in an offense that prevents him showing the rest of the league the talent and skills that made him a Heisman Trophy Finalist.

I.did mention about a year ago that considering the number of very good QBs in the AFC, that's exactly what the Steelers should do. And hat was before Stroud emerged, along with future goat Will Levis.

However, I would do it with more of a directed power running game, and also probably spend more money on the defense, instead of worrying about paying star WRs, RBs or QBs.

It's not the worst strategy in the world.

Why? Why do they want this depressing, boring, gutless brand of football? I used to think that way, then I just got sick of it in the Cowher Era, I thank Ben and even Maddox for 20 years of more aggressive offense, but now we are forced to revisit this GARBAGE, when the rest of the NFL is having more fun than ever?

Why? Why do they want this depressing, boring, gutless brand of football? I used to think that way, then I just got sick of it in the Cowher Era, I thank Ben and even Maddox for 20 years of more aggressive offense, but now we are forced to revisit this GARBAGE, when the rest of the NFL is having more fun than ever?
Why? Because tomlin wants to save his job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT