ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Which singer you taking?

Pitt666

Scholarship
Feb 19, 2024
So heaven and hell came on Spotify and got me thinking, not a lot of bands with success with two different singers in succession. I got Dio (Sabbath), Hagar (Van Halen), Johnson (AC/DC). I’m probably missing some, but definitely a reason those three made it big. I’ll exclude Fleetwood Mac for now as I feel like two completely different bands…Hagar and Johnson definitely can sing the whole catalog of songs. Dio Live Evil doing old sabbath has such a unique style. But ozzy was so unique as well, it’s hard to know what would be better without being so accustomed to original.

Reactions: W1np1tt
Al Kooper, David Clayton Thomas……Blood Sweat, and Tears.
Peter Gabriel, Phil Collin’s …….Genesis
Ian Gillan, David Coverdale…..Deep Purple

Al Kooper, Peter Gabriel, and Ian Gillan

Old Doobie Bros. Fan. Never got the mellow McDonald era.
When at Pitt in the early 70’s, I was the IFC chairperson to book a band for our Gala.
Was a local band Darkhorse with a female lead. Boy could they rock the China Grove era.

So heaven and hell came on Spotify and got me thinking, not a lot of bands with success with two different singers in succession. I got Dio (Sabbath), Hagar (Van Halen), Johnson (AC/DC). I’m probably missing some, but definitely a reason those three made it big. I’ll exclude Fleetwood Mac for now as I feel like two completely different bands…Hagar and Johnson definitely can sing the whole catalog of songs. Dio Live Evil doing old sabbath has such a unique style. But ozzy was so unique as well, it’s hard to know what would be better without being so accustomed to original.
For me it’s Sammy hands down. He’s not the performer that the weirdo Roth was, but he’s way more talented as a musician, song writer, etc. and it’s bizarre …you’d think that Sammy was the worst because DLR supporters are the loudest voices in the room. All you hear is that Van Halen was so much better with Roth. And yeah they were great. They were on top of the world. Lionel Ritchie and Michael Jackson even wanted them to perform on the We are The World record. But they sold more records with Hagar and sold out stadiums. So was Hagar really a downgrade? Heck no. Van Halen evolved, matured, and got better.

Reactions: W1np1tt
For me it’s Sammy hands down. He’s not the performer that the weirdo Roth was, but he’s way more talented as a musician, song writer, etc. and it’s bizarre …you’d think that Sammy was the worst because DLR supporters are the loudest voices in the room. All you hear is that Van Halen was so much better with Roth. And yeah they were great. They were on top of the world. Lionel Ritchie and Michael Jackson even wanted them to perform on the We are The World record. But they sold more records with Hagar and sold out stadiums. So was Hagar really a downgrade? Heck no. Van Halen evolved, matured, and got better.
Duane Eddy croaked. Changed a lot of sounds 65 years ago. I was a big fan with 45s. (Not the handgun)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT