ADVERTISEMENT

Overrated sports towns/fans

Philly fans have no issue with showing their displeasure with their teams by not attending games.
I was born in the early 80s and never thought Philly had the reputation of a great sports town ... it had a reputation for having probably the most ungrateful, saltiest fans. Of course they had a drought of championships my entire lifetime until the Phillies won in 2008. Maybe their reputation improved after finally winning it all.

Comparing Pittsburgh vs. Philly ... Pittsburgh's geographic location is somewhat isolated from the major cities on the east coast. It's probably part of the problem why the region has an aging population and experiencing population loss, whereas eastern PA continues to grow. But at the same time, our location probably prevents an influx of say Ranger fans for a Pens playoff series similar to what Philly saw with this series against the Knicks. If Pittsburgh was an hour and a half drive from metro NYC, it could have happened here.

Philly has a reputation of being bad fans. throwing snowballs at Santa, cheering injured players, having a jail in the stadium

In past years, there have been games at PNC Park, where it was half Phillies fans and the Red Sox and Yankees had a lot of fans in town as well because tickets and hotels were cheap compared to Philadelphia, Boston and New York.

Cleveland. I go to Cavs games and even during the LeBron era, tickets could be had at very reasonable prices......much much cheaper than Pens tickets during their Crosby glory years. Went to a game this year and for $200, I was 5 rows from the court on the free throw line. Cant get a Pitt ticket that cheap. Of course, its the NBA so no starters played and it was a glorified G League game but I knew what I was getting into since good players dont play in the regular season anymore.

It is funny how sports obsessed we have become. Every game is televised. Attendance is high across the board in all sports aside from some outlets.

Back in the 70's and 80's, even franchises like SF Giants and Atlanta Braves drew like 10K a game. Many NFL teams would not sell out. The NBA, I mean some franchises went under. Same with the NHL. Full capacities were limited to only a few teams.

Now everything is on TV or streamed, places are full, god damn, almost everyone has a $100+ worth of jersey on. I don't know if today is better or worse. But I do think if people would stop this obsession, these 9 figure contracts would cease.

In past years, there have been games at PNC Park, where it was half Phillies fans and the Red Sox and Yankees had a lot of fans in town as well because tickets and hotels were cheap compared to Philadelphia, Boston and New York.
That's a regular season game, not a playoff elimination game.

I was born in the early 80s and never thought Philly had the reputation of a great sports town ... it had a reputation for having probably the most ungrateful, saltiest fans. Of course they had a drought of championships my entire lifetime until the Phillies won in 2008. Maybe their reputation improved after finally winning it all.

Comparing Pittsburgh vs. Philly ... Pittsburgh's geographic location is somewhat isolated from the major cities on the east coast. It's probably part of the problem why the region has an aging population and experiencing population loss, whereas eastern PA continues to grow. But at the same time, our location probably prevents an influx of say Ranger fans for a Pens playoff series similar to what Philly saw with this series against the Knicks. If Pittsburgh was an hour and a half drive from metro NYC, it could have happened here.
It happens in baseball all the time. The Pirates-Cubs games are often 75% Cubs fans.

It happens in baseball all the time. The Pirates-Cubs games are often 75% Cubs fans.
Well this thread came out of what happened in the Sixer-Knicks series, so it's in the context of playoff games. I was at the 2015 wild card game where Arrieta dominated the Buccos. There were not 75% Cubs fans.

If you're thinking Cubs had 75% at that game, you must be a WVU fan.

Reactions: Bubby6
It was hilarious that after last weekends game where easily half of the sixers arena was filled with Knicks fans, the owner of philly gave out 2000 tickets free to philly fans for the next game.

Cleveland. I go to Cavs games and even during the LeBron era, tickets could be had at very reasonable prices......much much cheaper than Pens tickets during their Crosby glory years. Went to a game this year and for $200, I was 5 rows from the court on the free throw line. Cant get a Pitt ticket that cheap. Of course, its the NBA so no starters played and it was a glorified G League game but I knew what I was getting into since good players dont play in the regular season anymore.
I was listening to NZ sports radio yesterday in the truck, and they were discussing Ethan deGroot, a professional rugby player for Otago, who is taking annual leave today and missing a game to go duck hunting.
Duck shooting weekend is a big deal here, but are fans supposed to be interested in watching and buying tickets when one of your better players is hunting instead of playing?
Rugby union is bleeding fans and interest. The only discussion on sports radio about the league was this. Now the Warriors in Rugby League....they talked about players and matchups and games. Might actually watch the Wahs if I finish Clarkson's Farm.

Let's also realize that PNC is a destination ballpark. I doubt if out of town fans are rushing to fill the Mediocre American Ballpark in Cincy or Progressive Field in Cleveland.

I was at that Ohio st Pitt game at Pitt stadium, you would have thought it was at osu stadium. Totally red

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT