ADVERTISEMENT

Owt Takes from a chilly, wet October weekend.

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
1) I cannot believe I was not crushed nor surprised at the loss. I mean, we seen this before. And yes, while we, non players/coaches, can't affect the game or preparation, I didn't like all of the karma and attention we were getting. Putting the cart before the horse. Miami is still Miami (more on that later).

2) The loss sucked. It took the air out of our sails and it gave great fodder to the Ron Cook's of the local media, but that is something we have to deal with, until we don't.

3) To be honest, if you looked at this stretch of @VT, Clemson and Miami and said "Pitt will go 2-1 and the 1 loss will only be by 4 points", I think 99% of us would have signed in blood for those results.

4) If you said Pitt will be 10-2, and play in the ACC Championship game, again, I think we all would have signed in blood for that. And this is still in front of us, and realistically so. Duke, AT Duke, probably couldn't have come at a better time. There is still alot to play for. Alot.

5) Man, I go back and back and back to those two throws (picks), especially the first where Kenny usually never misses (especially Addison) and he hits him on either of those, TD and likely game and hello Heisman front runner. Still not sure what happened on the second pick, but there was miscommunication, but I thought there was enough time for maybe Kenny to read where Addison was going on his route.

6) I hated the series on 1st and goal from the five in the second half. I cannot believe not just the play calls, but how fast we ran. Take a breath guys, let's think about this. It seemed like those 3 plays took 10 seconds. I don't know why we didn't run, and didn't run RPO. As I stated in another thread, on the 5 yard line, unless the WR is Larry Fitz or Megatron, I HATE the fade. Why? It is all or nothing, there are no reads, no progressions, just chuck it up and expect the WR to make a play.

7) I thought there were more than few plays where Kenny may have been able to move the sticks with his legs. Sometimes you get caught up in those video game stats.

8) Their QB was really good, and literally played a perfect 1st half. He is going to be a good one. Though he looks older than Tom Brady as a RS Fr. But he looks like a pro.

9) Back to Miami. I posted this. 13, 10, 35 and 6. That is their last 4 recruiting class rankings. Now we know class rankings doesn't always correlate to W's, but there still is a higher degree than not. What kills me is, no on campus stadium, half empty crowds, alot of coaching turnover, smaller urban school surrounded by bigger state programs and they recruit like that. Meanwhile Pitt's classes were 22, 46, 36 and 39. How so? Location! Location! Location! The WPIAL may have 5 (4-5 stars a year). Pitt gets at least 1, maybe 2). So say they average 25%. South Florida has 40. So if Miami gets 20-25%, they land 10 of those types a year. That is a difference of 40 of those guys on the roster versus Pitt's 5-7. This "Location" is what really fueled us in the 70's and into the 80's, and not belaboring demographics, it is really an uphill battle to get NFL quality talent.

10) Pigeons! What the hell was it with the flying fortress of pigeons! How did they get in? Did they have tickets?? And if so, why weren't they in the Clubs with the rest of the soc's, buying overpriced drinks and not sitting in their seats?

11) Defense. I still wish we pay more attention to the situation over the scheme. Back to point 9, we have a lot of Florida kids, most of those Miami didn't want.

12) Miami came in 3-4 and unranked. But when you look at their schedule, first off they changed QB;s (because of injury and likely upgraded) but two of their losses were to Alabama and Michigan State. That is two of the top 6 teams in the country. And a 2 point loss to UVa and 3 point loss at UNC. So, their record didn't totally reflect the quality of team.

13) It is disappointing though....6-2......still ranked or almost ranked, but goalposts change. They always do. When you are doing good, you want to continue or do better. That is not "spoiled" fans, that is human nature.

14) I think the last two weeks should end all arguments about Heinz Field. Starting next season, Pitt should tarp off a couple of sections, reduce capacity, create more of demand and improve the optics. This should no longer even be debated. Pitt's fanbase and Heinz Field are mismatched.

15) Officiating. Yeah. I just thought it was uneven, and overbearing. Another example of a game where when something is a penalty then it isn't. Funny, saw the same thing in the Steelers game. One thing that always bothers me......is on those 50/50 plays, where someone makes a play, makes some sort of aggressive (not saying physical) but makes a play, I would rule as ref in their favor. You see this often with great catches, and it is always "well if it was called a catch, there isn't enough evidence to over turn it", so then why wouldn't you give a guy who made an outstanding play the benefit of the doubt??

16) Penguins. Yeah.....glad they didn't trade away their first rd pick. Really deep division, constant injuries, aging stars, going to be a really interesting season to determine the future of this franchise.

17) Penn State. 5-3. Still has Michigan and AT Michigan State. Still ranked by writers. Too many AP Writers are fanboys of both teams and conferences.

18) Name brand/preseason polls. Iowa is being exposed as the fraud they are. Wisconsin was. The Big 10 West is devoid of a QB.

19) Again, not the best weekend for the ACC, Wake is carrying the flag. But the Pac 12, again another "below the line" year. Expanding the playoffs is critical, with a cap on number of teams, for the two "coastal" conferences to maintain pace.

20) Steelers. I am a Steelers fan, but you know, their last few years and knuckleheads have made my interest wane, plus I think they need to rebuild. But my god, that was a fun win yesterday. I have learned to hate the Browns again. From that jackass QB to their fanbase, lol...they truly are "Little Brother". It was a win, especially with all of the circumstances that made Pittsburgh smile.

21) And 20 is why this area and the media always gives the Steelers the benefit of the doubt, and why they are hard on Pitt. What I don't get, is why aren't they hard on Penn State, because they are having their own annual disappointments.

Happy November, we still have pretty much all we can in front of us as a Pitt fan (10+ wins, ACC Champ, NYD 6 Bowl, top 10 ranking) so.......still alot of the season to look forward to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News