ADVERTISEMENT

Owt Takes, the Tennessee Version.

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
1) You are playing a ranked SEC team with your backup QB who's strength is running the football and he is playing on one leg and you go to OT.....that is nothing to hang your head about.

2) Izzy shows he is the NFL back I thought he is. He was playing against men, NFL guys, SEC guys, and a poor OL and still made plays.

3) I think we can put to rest the Max Browne/Ricky Towns comparisons for Kedon Slovis. While I think in today's college FB you need more of a dual threat like Pickett, Slovis has a gun and is really tough and will play in the NFL.

4) The Addison loss is bigger than I thought. He takes the top off of defenses. He catches everything. Means and Mumpfield have been disappointing so far. Yesterday it seems like anytime the ball went to Means, something bad happened.

5) OL. Thought it would be a strength. While I don't think it would the 1980 Panthers, I thought having 7 experienced Sr's would be a strength. So far, it hasn't. We all love to have the Brian O'Neill's as an example of developing OL, but let's be honest, when your OL is low 3 stars and 2 stars who had mediocre offer sheets, the chickens come home to roost.

6) I don't think it was Narduzzi's finest hour. The decision to drop Slovis back to pass at the end of the half, maybe hindsight but disaster happened. I thought his challenge of the TD when the Tennessee WR went out of bounds was bad. BUT...after looking at it, he went out of bounds on his own, or pushing the defender which caused him to go out. That play should have been overturned.

7) I think Bartholomew got dinged up, but they need to use him.

8) Once Patti was in and especially after he was hurt, Cignetti was limited in what he could call. Patti's strengths would be RPO's, rollouts, waggles, an occasional QB draw. But dammit, with the way Tennessee was teeing off, I was screaming for a screen pass (which we finally ran 1 and it worked) and play action on 1st down. We never kept them off balance.

9) #4 Tillman is a stud and will be a 1st rd NFL draft pick. SO yeah, you are going to give up some plays to him, but I think maybe some help would have worked.

10) FG kicking is a concern. In a tight game......it really hurts.

11) The blocked punt, O'Brien temporarily lost his bearings then picked up the ball and was hit by another Pitt player who's momentum knocked O'Brien out of bounds. That should have been a scoop and score.

12) This truly was a game of inches. The blocked punt, the MJ Devonshire pick which wasn't. The Jared Wayne catch which wasn't. The Bub Means deflection that turned into a pick. It just really wasn't our day. And yet, still could have and maybe should have won.

13) I think Tennessee is talented. I didn't realize...but when I looked this week, on that roster were recruiting classes ranked #8, #13, #15, #20, and #13 again. So they have talent, we would kill to have a string of classes like this. My point, unless (until) we play Clemson in the ACC Champ game, we won't face a more talented team and that includes Miami.

14) Hooker is surprisingly mistake free. Plus he's a load and a good runner. He's a good QB. He's tough to get on the ground.

15) I am disappointed of course, but I am not angry and upset. I cannot believe how some Pitt fans reacted like we blew a game to Western Michigan.

16) If Slovis is okay (people are speculating collarbone, but i have sources saying it was head and held out for precaution concussion protocol). we will be okay.

17) In a game like this, I am a bit wondering why an Elliot Donald doesn't get snaps. We had alot of interior DL go down. Maybe he is another WPIAL kid who is overrated or peaked in their Junior years of HS.

18) We think we have problems? Imagine being an ND fan. An A&M fan. An Iowa fan. A WVU fan. a Nebraska fan. I think if the Texas and Pitt QB's didn't get hurt, the SEC would have been 0-2 in their two highest profile OOC games this past week. In fact the Texas game so paralleled ours, their backup also banged up and lost his mobility.

19) WMU won't be a walkover, but I am sure last year will help "calibrate" the team.

20) I still think this team can go 10-2 and win the Coastal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News