ADVERTISEMENT

Papa Kante Narrative

BballinsiderfromPitt

Heisman Winner
Feb 15, 2018
Would it have been nice to have him play this year as another piece? Sure. Can people please stop and think rationally and keep excusing the lack of a competent big man on this? He would’ve played 5 mins tops in ACC games, he has the same problem as the twins (extremely slight) and would’ve been a freshmen playing against grown men. He would’ve gotten tossed by Hall all night. And you guys are going to be mighty disappointed when he’s not the starter at center next year, either.

What has the regression of Fede, Hugley and non development of GDG in the post given you to believe that whoever the big man coach is will get Papa Kante up and running for next year after an ACL?

Ni $ should be allocated like this
1. Retention of best 2 players (Lowe, Bub)
2. Acquisition of best possible podt
3. Secondary players (Leggett, Austin’s etc)

What are Kante’s positives? It’s interesting he’s more highly touted in some rankings than both Lowe and Carrington, but I figure being a big he may be more raw/needing of time to develop. Not everyone can get lucky with a big right away like GT seemingly did with Ndongo.

Let’s say he could’ve played 30 minutes. It doesn’t matter. He got hurt and he’s not playing. I saw it again in the dribbles along with Dior and thought why not blame covid some more too. My goodness.

I’ve never seen Fede make a 3…He could be a complete bust, but at least seems to have a high motor and good sense of where to be on the floor. Will likely have some early foul trouble due to aggressiveness.

Yeah, I really don't think he would have made one iota of a difference this season. Too many people subscribe to Vader's BS, where the most important piece on the team is always the one coming in next season or the one who wasn't able to play this season. I'm sure we would have won a national championship if Jeffres wasn't in a walking boot last season.

Would it have been nice to have him play this year as another piece? Sure. Can people please stop and think rationally and keep excusing the lack of a competent big man on this? He would’ve played 5 mins tops in ACC games, he has the same problem as the twins (extremely slight) and would’ve been a freshmen playing against grown men. He would’ve gotten tossed by Hall all night. And you guys are going to be mighty disappointed when he’s not the starter at center next year, either.

What has the regression of Fede, Hugley and non development of GDG in the post given you to believe that whoever the big man coach is will get Papa Kante up and running for next year after an ACL?

so you are saying kante is worse than Federiko and Guillermo? Ouch, not a very ringing endorsement.

I love your reasoning that we should all expect nothing from him because our current coaching staff cant develop a big man to save their lives.

Thanks for the optimistic post this morning..

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid
The video showed much more athleticism than either the twins or Fede and the ability to shoot the three .

How much he’d have helped this season one can only speculate , but he wouldn’t have had a negative impact .

A lower body injury won’t stop him from developing upper body strength . Not all thin guys are pushovers…think Zanna and more recently Mo Gueye .

I’ll be optimistic about his impact next season , but Pitt still needs to find some inside muscle in the portal.

Yes, he may be a ways from being a dominant inside big, but if he can consistently score like this, he will play a role next year.

Reactions: singregardless
so you are saying kante is worse than Federiko and Guillermo? Ouch, not a very ringing endorsement.

I love your reasoning that we should all expect nothing from him because our current coaching staff cant develop a big man to save their lives.

Thanks for the optimistic post this morning..
I mean you think there's actually a chance he's not? Watch the above video. Guillermo would do the same thing from the outside he's doing and destroy those kids inside and he's not even good.
all these papa kante threads dismissing him is just making me looking forward to seeing him over federiko and Guillermo even more..
Did you even watch those "highlights"? That is a weak player that doesn't want to bang with men inside. fadeaways, 3's, etc

Reactions: rockypanther
Capel was very open about how big of a loss Kante was in the preseason. I don't think it's far fetched to state that had he not gotten injured he would be playing more than Fede at this point in the season... From everything I've gathered he's an ELITE rebounder. Which is exactly what this team needs.... they don't need Kante to score 10+ every night. They need so much more than they are currently getting...

Capel was very open about how big of a loss Kante was in the preseason. I don't think it's far fetched to state that had he not gotten injured he would be playing more than Fede at this point in the season... From everything I've gathered he's an ELITE rebounder. Which is exactly what this team needs.... they don't need Kante to score 10+ every night. They need so much more than they are currently getting...
lol. Capel also said Ithiel Horton was the best scorer in the ACC when he was sitting out. Would you guys believe him if he said the sky was pink?

Ok I’ll be the 1st to ask and probably look stupid because it’s so obvious. But…. I can’t for the life of me figure out what podt is short for 🤔

I mean you think there's actually a chance he's not? Watch the above video. Guillermo would do the same thing from the outside he's doing and destroy those kids inside and he's not even good.

Did you even watch those "highlights"? That is a weak player that doesn't want to bang with men inside. fadeaways, 3's, etc
ok, you are on record that Kante sucks. duly noted. i hope you are wrong because if he's even worse than Federiko and Guillermo, that's yet another scholarship post player that we have who is holding back this team..

lets all hope you are wrong because if not, '24-'25 is going to be an ugly winter since we wont have hinson breaking conference records from 3 to cover up our inept post offensive production.

ok, you are on record that Kante sucks. duly noted. i hope you are wrong because if he's even worse than Federiko and Guillermo, that's yet another scholarship post player that we have who is holding back this team..

lets all hope you are wrong because if not, '24-'25 is going to be an ugly winter since we wont have hinson breaking conference records from 3 to cover up our inept post offensive production.
I didn't say he sucks. I said he's young and is going to need time to develop. He's obviously not better than Fede or Guillermo right now. Watch those "highlights". Are they better than Fede's first year in college when he averaged 12 at a JUCO?

I didn't say he sucks. I said he's young and is going to need time to develop. He's obviously not better than Fede or Guillermo right now. Watch those "highlights". Are they better than Fede's first year in college when he averaged 12 at a JUCO?
you said he is worse than federiko and guillermo, that means he sucks. the bar is so low for what an upgrade at center is, we arent asking for much here.

i think we all agree that kante isnt going to single handedly fix our center play. we all agree that capel is going to HAVE TO find at least one more (if not 2) actual post players from the transfer portal and upgrade this roster..

a misclick from post. the d is right there. damn it.
As far as your priority list of 3, hard to argue with it. But by the same token, it just highlights how under-valued Ish is amongst most of us. And note that I didn’t use ‘under-appreciated’ I think most of us recognize his contributions to this team.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
lol. Capel also said Ithiel Horton was the best scorer in the ACC when he was sitting out. Would you guys believe him if he said the sky was pink?
Horton has his issues, but was 37% from 3 at Pitt and now 38% at Texas. Not tops in ACc, but we could surely use a shooter like that this year. It wasn’t as bad as Malik Ellison hype being the savior.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

Which of these players looks strong and like a true post presence. Actually compare the videos, knowing one is against college dudes and the other is against 17/18 year olds.

Horton has his issues, but was 37% from 3 at Pitt and now 38% at Texas. Not tops in ACc, but we could surely use a shooter like that this year. It wasn’t as bad as Malik Ellison hype being the savior.
He didn't say best shooter, he said best offensive player in the ACC. The first part wouldn't be far off, even if wrong.

As far as your priority list of 3, hard to argue with it. But by the same token, it just highlights how under-valued Ish is amongst most of us. And note that I didn’t use ‘under-appreciated’ I think most of us recognize his contributions to this team.
I appreciate Ish and think he's a very solid player. I also think he is the most easily replaceable of the 3 guards. There is another Ish somewhere from an A10 type school transferring.

Who would you rank in order as priorities among the Diaz Graham Brothers, Fede, Jeffress, and Kante? Let’s say you can only keep 3 of them.

Especially off a year he had to take off due to injury and the impact the injury will have done. Knee injuries don’t heal all the way in one year.

Who would you rank in order as priorities among the Diaz Graham Brothers, Fede, Jeffress, and Kante? Let’s say you can only keep 3 of them.
1)Kante appears to have most long term potential so you have to try and keep him
2) Fede gives you what you need, at least defensively out of a backup 5
3) Jeffress is a great teammate and can do JYD stuff and only has one year.

just my opinion but in that situation GDG has not shown enough to warrant 2 scholarships.

1)Kante appears to have most long term potential so you have to try and keep him
2) Fede gives you what you need, at least defensively out of a backup 5
3) Jeffress is a great teammate and can do JYD stuff and only has one year.

just my opinion but in that situation GDG has not shown enough to warrant 2 scholarships.
Jeffers isn’t worth a ship in my opinion. Find another high major that can actually make a basket.

Jeffers isn’t worth a ship in my opinion. Find another high major that can actually make a basket.
If you're jettisoning both twins I think he is. good end of bench guy
Having program guys can be good.

Other option is jettisoning Fede and Jeffress and keeping JDG as a program guy. I find it hard to believe Fede will not be a 3 year starter at Pitt, though.

If you're jettisoning both twins I think he is. good end of bench guy
Having program guys can be good.

Other option is jettisoning Fede and Jeffress and keeping JDG as a program guy. I find it hard to believe Fede will not be a 3 year starter at Pitt, though.
One consideration is that NIL money is limited for Fede and Twins. Upgrades would require more NIL, which may be needed elsewhere. If they are scholarships 11-13, it’s not awful. But if you want a true 5 portal guy, where is the NIL coming from.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Which of these players looks strong and like a true post presence. Actually compare the videos, knowing one is against college dudes and the other is against 17/18 year olds.
It basically shows Fede’s one dimensional offensive game. He has shown the ability to finish at times and has been inconsistent and unable to generate outside offense. He has also struggled mightily from the line. I’m not sure how Kante is at the line. I would hope Kante in the end is an upgrade over GDG. Maybe more a verse 4 than true 5.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Did we spend any NIL money on Kanye?

How does NIL work if a player gets hurt and can't play?

Is there an insurance policy against NIL?

Did we spend any NIL money on Kanye?

How does NIL work if a player gets hurt and can't play?

Is there an insurance policy against NIL?
No idea and please correct me if I’m wrong, but because of nationality status, there are limits to what Fede and twins can accrue? Same may be true for Kante?

We're going to need a big, bruising 5 from the portal, regardless of Kante or anyone else on the roster. None of them can handle that kind of inside game. If we can't get one, it will be more of the same next year with the bigger teams manhandling us inside.

I mean Horton could play and he’s starting at Texas right now so…. Don’t think he’s totally wrong. Again I’m not disagreeing that Kante would solve all the problems because he wouldn’t. But to sit here and say he’s not projected to be more talented than what we currently have is asinine. Dude was very highly sought after

Not putting words in anybody's mouth, but some of you are being way too sensitive about this. There was a time when you wouldn't even think about not redshirting someone like this. Newsflash: Big men take time to develop.

He's not saying Kante sucks and will be forever condemned to sucking. He's saying he shouldn't be used as an excuse for this season and - particularly after losing a full season of development - he shouldn't be viewed as some savior for next season.

We need to go hard after a big in the portal. In my opinion, that could make or break the Capel Era. After losing Hinson, I don't see a path to being better next season unless we upgrade the 5.

We also heard about how Malik Ellison couldn't be guarded in practice and how Gerald Drumgoole made Maryland's whole team tuck their heads in their terrapin shells.

Unfortunately in those instances.... We talkin' about practice. Not the game.

Not putting words in anybody's mouth, but some of you are being way too sensitive about this. There was a time when you wouldn't even think about not redshirting someone like this. Newsflash: Big men take time to develop.

He's not saying Kante sucks and will be forever condemned to sucking. He's saying he shouldn't be used as an excuse for this season and - particularly after losing a full season of development - he shouldn't be viewed as some savior for next season.

We need to go hard after a big in the portal. In my opinion, that could make or break the Capel Era. After losing Hinson, I don't see a path to being better next season unless we upgrade the 5.
This is exactly what I'm saying. It's pretty naive, and not fair to the kid's development, to think he is going to be an upgrade over Fede or GDG. He has more potential long term but there's no guarantee he fulfills it quickly, especially considering the knee injury. From the videos, he looks like he needs a lot of strength in his lower half anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT