ADVERTISEMENT

Peacock

Get a fast internet connection and get an IPTV service. Run it off Fire stick or Roku. Done.
You get everything with IPTV. Mine gets me PPV events too. Plus tens of thousands of on demand movies. All series from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime, Apple tv. Local network affiliates from just about every city in America. And around the world too. I have 20000 odd channels.
What do you pay for fast internet there?

What do you pay for fast internet there?
I pay 95 NZD a month for unlimited wireless internet plus phone on a rural business plan. It goes through the businesses so fully deductible expense.
We're really rural, so no wired connection available.
It buffered terribly run through the wifi on the IPTV, but I connected LAN from the modem/router to the Firestick and it is fine now.
We have a SkyTV account hooked up to satellite in our AirBNB property. But we can view everything on Sky streaming at our house. That's $130 NZD a month with sports package and some premium channels. But again... it's on the business, so we basically get a 39% discount writing it off the taxes. And it's a nice feature for the guests at the property.
The Airbnb property has fibre fast internet for $85 a month. With a business write off for that too.
Taking care of business! I like to work at nothing all day!

I pay 95 NZD a month for unlimited wireless internet plus phone on a rural business plan. It goes through the businesses so fully deductible expense.
We're really rural, so no wired connection available.
It buffered terribly run through the wifi on the IPTV, but I connected LAN from the modem/router to the Firestick and it is fine now.
We have a SkyTV account hooked up to satellite in our AirBNB property. But we can view everything on Sky streaming at our house. That's $130 NZD a month with sports package and some premium channels. But again... it's on the business, so we basically get a 39% discount writing it off the taxes. And it's a nice feature for the guests at the property.
The Airbnb property has fibre fast internet for $85 a month. With a business write off for that too.
Taking care of business! I like to work at nothing all day!
"If it were easy as fishin' you could be a musician
If you could make sounds loud or mellow
Get a second-hand guitar, chances are you'll go far
If you get in with the right bunch of fellows
People see you having fun just a-lying in the sun
Tell them that you like it this way
It's the work that we avoid, and we're all self-employed
We love to work at nothing all day"

This was a HUGE hit by Bachman-Turner Overdrive when I was an undergrad at Pitt. This song got the girls dancing!

Reactions: USN_Panther
I graduated in April 1977 and wanted to get some sales experience to pair up with my Pitt degree in communications. I was selling cable TV hook ups in the evening for New Ken cable. You had to work the evening because that when the man of the house would be home for work. The cost to hook up cable for the customer was $10 per month. For that monthly fee the customer would get crystal clear KDKA, WIIC, WTAE, WQED, and Fox 53 was just coming into existence. The hope was also a few more channels in the future. No more rabbit ears and aluminum foil to capture a clear signal.

My commission was $10 for each subscription sold so this was a chance to make some great money. This was not easy either to conceptually sell something that just seemed way to technically advanced for the consumer to understand plus you were asking them for 10 per month when what they were currently getting was free. Anyways, I got my pitch down pretty good because it was hard to explain and took time and I needed to hustle. After the first two weeks I decided to change my strategy. I was getting 3-4 contracts each evening but was knocking on 20 doors to do so. Plus once it got dark it was time to quit because nobody wanted to answer their door.

I discovered that holding a bunch of contracts in my hand from the night before would help to substantiate my sales pitch and get more commitments quicker. The pitch was simple “This cable thing is going to make your television viewing so much better today and in the future and besides, here is a list of some of your neighbors that are signed up. That was the clincher. Nobody wanted to be left behind or appear cheap in the neighborhood. After this strategy incorporated into the basic feature and benefit I was locking up 10-15 agreements per night. I was making twice as much money in the three hours in the evening than I was making during the 8 hours during the day.

This reminds me of the current streaming situation. At some point we are all going to switch and dump cable and for me it’s probably going to be when I feel like an idiot because I’m still paying $240 per month for cable when all of my adult kids and relatives are paying half of that for a few streaming services and an internet provider wrapped in.

All true ! LOL. And I ended up being in sales and sales management and retired at 62.
Being a cable guy (1982-1999), your story resonates. I worked for the Pittsburgh QUBE system as well as a small indy operator. “Don’t be left behind” was a powerful incentive. I wasn’t in sales; I had to screen the new channels to determine which to add. In the early days we had some latitude in that regard. Congrats on your cable roots!

Reactions: bayardstreet
So 29 million for browns/texans vs 23 million for chiefs/dolphins. Browns/Texans was most watched Saturday wild card since 2014. Chiefs was highest streaming event ever for US, but probably would have been most watched if on regular tv.

Where I live, reliable, high-speed internet isn't a given. There isn't necessarily a "wired" connection and whatever they call the thing that gets beamed to the little dish on your house from the mountain doesn't even work that well and I live on the highest point in the valley. It's a vast improvement over what we had when I moved there but it's still a far cry from what it should be. I do stream but there are times when that's all you can do or you get buffering. The bandwidth just isn't there.

I'm okay with streaming games but I'm not paying for six different platforms. That's ridiculous and I don't see that model working.

Where I live, reliable, high-speed internet isn't a given. There isn't necessarily a "wired" connection and whatever they call the thing that gets beamed to the little dish on your house from the mountain doesn't even work that well and I live on the highest point in the valley. It's a vast improvement over what we had when I moved there but it's still a far cry from what it should be. I do stream but there are times when that's all you can do or you get buffering. The bandwidth just isn't there.

I'm okay with streaming games but I'm not paying for six different platforms. That's ridiculous and I don't see that model working.
STARLINK. It’s the best option for anyone currently. Have the business and standard at a remote location.

Comacast 1 gig at home.

We get Peacock for free because we are Comcast Xfinity customers. That is the only reason that I am watching this game right now. I think the NFL should be ashamed of themselves for making football fans pay extra to watch this game. Just another example of GREED ruining another sport.
They do it for every Thursday game

Pretty interesting, but you aren’t really paying $240 a month for “cable”. You are paying for cable and INTERNET. You still need Internet and if you go it alone with whomever your provider is you probably are going to pay $100 or more for a fast enough internet to survive streaming. To me YouTube TV is the best service because it is almost like cable with the channels you get. But it is almost $80 a month. So to add in a couple of more streaming services like Netflix and Hulu and Whatnot, you are going to be about the same cost. I love cutting the cord but I realize it’s not perfect. Like just today when I am watching Cowboy v Packers and my Daughter texts Wow, I think we are swicthing to something else, and then I see the pick six about a minute later. Cable is still faster. But hey I am going with the new era.
$100/month seems pretty high for internet in this country. You should be able to get decent internet for at least half that. I'm paying about $60 right now and I work from home.

A big difference between YTTV and cable is that you can easily pause YTTV to save money when you're not watching much TV like during football off season maybe.

Yes, streaming may be delayed when compared to cable, but cable is also delayed when compared to antenna. Also, antenna quality is much better compared to both when you have good reception at your home.

It's a shame that everyone is not able to get good antenna reception at their home. I don't know what technology is involved, but I wish they would figure out someway to utilize cellphone towers to transmit the antenna signals. Or just allow over the air channels to be free on wifi in a simpler way.

$100/month seems pretty high for internet in this country. You should be able to get decent internet for at least half that. I'm paying about $60 right now and I work from home.

A big difference between YTTV and cable is that you can easily pause YTTV to save money when you're not watching much TV like during football off season maybe.

Yes, streaming may be delayed when compared to cable, but cable is also delayed when compared to antenna. Also, antenna quality is much better compared to both when you have good reception at your home.

It's a shame that everyone is not able to get good antenna reception at their home. I don't know what technology is involved, but I wish they would figure out someway to utilize cellphone towers to transmit the antenna signals. Or just allow over the air channels to be free on wifi in a simpler way.
I have 500 mps Internet with cox alone and it is $92/month. $75 for service. $15 for equipment and a couple bucks for taxes and fees.

Last edited:
People have been paying a cable bill for years. I’d rather pay $65 for a streaming service that I want along with some add on services that total $25 as opposed to $140 for cable. If we consider that paying to watch the playoffs and Super Bowl then I’m not sure what the big deal is.
You pay $65 for streaming service, but what about for the internet? I pay $210/month for internet/tv. I refuse to spend another penny on peacock, amazon, paramount or espn+. BTW, how soon till this ISP start raising their rates for bandwidth usage?

Playoffs at designated Neutral sites.
More games on streaming services.
A Super Bowl on foreign soil, and I don’t mean Toronto.
And we will swallow hard and accept all of it.
You might swallow, but I won't. Neutral site playoff games will be another F U at the fans. How much money gets pumped into the local economy during a championship weekend?

Reactions: Dan1911
You might swallow, but I won't. Neutral site playoff games will be another F U at the fans. How much money gets pumped into the local economy during a championship weekend?
The owners will never give up the money they make from home playoff games, you think Jerry Jones would rather have a “home” playoff game in Tampa where he only gets what 1/32nd of the revenue or Jerry World? Same goes with Art II, Bob Kraft and so on.

I graduated in April 1977 and wanted to get some sales experience to pair up with my Pitt degree in communications. I was selling cable TV hook ups in the evening for New Ken cable. You had to work the evening because that when the man of the house would be home for work. The cost to hook up cable for the customer was $10 per month. For that monthly fee the customer would get crystal clear KDKA, WIIC, WTAE, WQED, and Fox 53 was just coming into existence. The hope was also a few more channels in the future. No more rabbit ears and aluminum foil to capture a clear signal.

My commission was $10 for each subscription sold so this was a chance to make some great money. This was not easy either to conceptually sell something that just seemed way to technically advanced for the consumer to understand plus you were asking them for 10 per month when what they were currently getting was free. Anyways, I got my pitch down pretty good because it was hard to explain and took time and I needed to hustle. After the first two weeks I decided to change my strategy. I was getting 3-4 contracts each evening but was knocking on 20 doors to do so. Plus once it got dark it was time to quit because nobody wanted to answer their door.

I discovered that holding a bunch of contracts in my hand from the night before would help to substantiate my sales pitch and get more commitments quicker. The pitch was simple “This cable thing is going to make your television viewing so much better today and in the future and besides, here is a list of some of your neighbors that are signed up. That was the clincher. Nobody wanted to be left behind or appear cheap in the neighborhood. After this strategy incorporated into the basic feature and benefit I was locking up 10-15 agreements per night. I was making twice as much money in the three hours in the evening than I was making during the 8 hours during the day.

This reminds me of the current streaming situation. At some point we are all going to switch and dump cable and for me it’s probably going to be when I feel like an idiot because I’m still paying $240 per month for cable when all of my adult kids and relatives are paying half of that for a few streaming services and an internet provider wrapped in.

All true ! LOL. And I ended up being in sales and sales management and retired at 62.
Guessing you were selling in an urban or suburban area...I believe, but you would know better than me, cable tv was created originally to service rural areas who could not easily pull in the big city channels...I can see why it would be a tough sell for you. Reminds me of the time Archie Bunker was sold aluminum siding for his brick house...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT