ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt 17-18 vs. 23-24

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
I’ve been a proponent of wanting to replace Capel, but I’ve seen a lot of posts about this season is as bad as Stallings… Objectively that simply isn’t true.

In 2017-2018, Pitt went 6-24 (0-19). Quad breakdown was 0-13 Q1, 0-6 Q2, 2-4 Q3, and 6-1 Q4. Best win was UCSB (125th). Beat Duquesne and lost to PSU and WVu. No road wins.

This season, Pitt is 10-7. So far 0-3 Q1, 0-3 Q2, 4-1 Q3, and 6-0 Q4. They have 14 games left. So far two road wins and a neutral site win. If they go 0-11 vs remaining Q1/2, win remaining Q4 (1 game) and split remaining q3 games (ND and FSU both at home), they would be 12-19 (3-17). Awful, but nothing like Stallings. Pitt would only be 1 year rather 2 removed from tourney. Potentially a much better incoming recruit in Cummings for a new coach and potential better players to keep on board (Lowe and Bub) vs Carr and Stewart. So yes, while I do think a change is needed, this is not Stallings level bad, and should be more appealing to potential candidates than coming in after 0-19.

I’ve been a proponent of wanting to replace Capel, but I’ve seen a lot of posts about this season is as bad as Stallings… Objectively that simply isn’t true.

In 2017-2018, Pitt went 6-24 (0-19). Quad breakdown was 0-13 Q1, 0-6 Q2, 2-4 Q3, and 6-1 Q4. Best win was UCSB (125th). Beat Duquesne and lost to PSU and WVu. No road wins.

This season, Pitt is 10-7. So far 0-3 Q1, 0-3 Q2, 4-1 Q3, and 6-0 Q4. They have 14 games left. So far two road wins and a neutral site win. If they go 0-11 vs remaining Q1/2, win remaining Q4 (1 game) and split remaining q3 games (ND and FSU both at home), they would be 12-19 (3-17). Awful, but nothing like Stallings. Pitt would only be 1 year rather 2 removed from tourney. Potentially a much better incoming recruit in Cummings for a new coach and potential better players to keep on board (Lowe and Bub) vs Carr and Stewart. So yes, while I do think a change is needed, this is not Stallings level bad.
Not that it matters but we were 8-24 in 17-18. That team was ranked #227 according to Pomeroy while we are currently ranked #78.

The 17-18 team lost 9 games by 20 or more points.

This Pitt team isn't as bad as any of the Stallings' teams. Those Stallings teams were losing games by 20 - 30 points every game. At least other than against Duke so far, we haven't been getting blown out. And Duke doesn't look as bad as it really was because after leading by 25 or 30 or whatever it was, they let up and had mercy on us.

However, a 12-19 record this year has a high probability of happening. That's a disgrace one year removed from an NCAAT and 2 wins there. Coaching does matter.

Yes coaching matters and if they only win one or two a change is needed. Here was link to 2017-2018. Looks like worst OOC loss was Navy in opener. MT ended up decent. https://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2018&team=Pittsburgh

Pitt had 5 game scores under 10 that year and 1 over 80. They have had 1 under 10 this year (Duke) and 9 over 80. Somehow they got exploited and fell off a cliff, which I agree is partially coaching. I mean I don’t know if luck is a thing. Had they beaten Mizz and at Cuse, it still isn’t an awful season so far, but they seem to be spiraling and maturity and coaching would help.

Reactions: KennyTheKangaroo
Somehow they got exploited and fell off a cliff, which I agree is partially coaching. I mean I don’t know if luck is a thing. Had they beaten Mizz and at Cuse, it still isn’t an awful season so far, but they seem to be spiraling and maturity and coaching would help.
This is the burning issue for me. 3-7 against power 5 competition, and most of those 10 games were against teams of equal or lesser talent. This isn’t a team with superior talent but they should be better than 3-7 in those games.

Their style (taking lots of bad shots) doesn’t really lend itself to lots of grind it out wins against comparable talent. So I don’t think it’s a matter of luck

Reactions: Parkview57
Yes coaching matters and if they only win one or two a change is needed. Here was link to 2017-2018. Looks like worst OOC loss was Navy in opener. MT ended up decent. https://barttorvik.com/team.php?year=2018&team=Pittsburgh

Pitt had 5 game scores under 10 that year and 1 over 80. They have had 1 under 10 this year (Duke) and 9 over 80. Somehow they got exploited and fell off a cliff, which I agree is partially coaching. I mean I don’t know if luck is a thing. Had they beaten Mizz and at Cuse, it still isn’t an awful season so far, but they seem to be spiraling and maturity and coaching would help.

Can you see and name more than 2 more games we have a good chance of winning? We thought we would beat 'Cuse and it would be different than up in Syracuse. We're not going to get within 30 of Duke after the first 15 minutes. We'll have to score 80+ to have a chance at beating them, and we can't score more than maybe 55. ND? They're improving and we're getting worse. 'Ville? They're improving also and we're not close to being the same team we were when we beat them the first time. The rest are better than we are.

Maybe we'll catch somebody by surprise. There's usually one game where we scratch our heads and wonder how the hell did Pitt beat them. But I'm not particularly encouraged by what I've seen from Pitt for this entire year from the beginning of the season. Again, we'll need to score 80+ to have a chance of beating anyone. And that's just a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT