ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt-BC Thoughts…

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
Yarnell won against Western Mich (yep just MAC) but for a 1st start he did his job. He came in against UCLA cold to complete a 16 yd pass. He completed a TD against ND. It was against the backups, guess what…the ND backups are a bunch of 4 star recruits. He finally gets a start against a P5 team and leads Pitt to a win. Basically every situation he’s been put in he’s done well. I’m not anointing him the next whatever cause it’s early. Hell he may suck next week. But so far he’s been good.

Both him and CV have the arm strength to make all the throws. But the difference seems to be QB IQ at this point. He ran the read option with out fumbling. I liked his decision making, he actually seemed to go through his progressions. He protected the ball and actually ran better than most thought he could. Nice job overall.

Before tonight Rodney had not had a single career run over 30 yards. That changed with 2 big runs 40 and 66…well timed runs as well. Good work.

If I could pick 2 seniors with the extra year to bring back. On D would be Hayes who had a huge game. Glad to see him finish plays tonight. On O Bub, another big TD for him. He’s a talent who can take the top off the D.

Glad Sam O finally got a start.

Pitt really needs to bring in some DT transfers cause this team gets bullied when teams run up the middle.

Nice to get a win. Now beat Duke, Fire Cig and close this crap season.

Yarnell won against Western Mich (yep just MAC) but for a 1st start he did his job. He came in against UCLA cold to complete a 16 yd pass. He completed a TD against ND. It was against the backups, guess what…the ND backups are a bunch of 4 star recruits. He finally gets a start against a P5 team and leads Pitt to a win. Basically every situation he’s been put in he’s done well. I’m not anointing him the next whatever cause it’s early. Hell he may suck next week. But so far he’s been good.

Both him and CV have the arm strength to make all the throws. But the difference seems to be QB IQ at this point. He ran the read option with out fumbling. I liked his decision making, he actually seemed to go through his progressions. He protected the ball and actually ran better than most thought he could. Nice job overall.

Before tonight Rodney had not had a single career run over 30 yards. That changed with 2 big runs 40 and 66…well timed runs as well. Good work.

If I could pick 2 seniors with the extra year to bring back. On D would be Hayes who had a huge game. Glad to see him finish plays tonight. On O Bub, another big TD for him. He’s a talent who can take the top off the D.

Pitt really needs to bring in some DT transfers cause this team gets bullied when teams run up the middle.

This game will go down in the annals of Pitt lore as the "Please Reset the Clock to 40 Seconds" classic...

I am encouraged by what I have seen so far from Nate. However he will be tested more next week. Duke will have film and a scouting report to reference on Nate. Let’s see what he does.

Reactions: FireballZ
I am encouraged by what I have seen so far from Nate. However he will be tested more next week. Duke will have film and a scouting report to reference on Nate. Let’s see what he does.
I agree. Will have film, he will be tested. So far he has passed a few quizzes and a couple of tests. I’m just glad he’s at least getting a chance so the new OC will have some film to see if he likes the kid and can work with him.

I’d add that Nate doesn’t stare down receivers He actually looked off defenders and made progressions. That’s stuff that CV hasn’t shown at all. The pass to Bub was an example where his pump fake was critical to getting the db to bite.

I think you also have to give the Ol credit as he got pretty good protection. Most of the nite. But there again Nate didn’t run himself into sacks as he showed good pocket presence and side stepped rushers a few times

Still not sold on NY BUT......that pump fake was impressive.
He had a really good QBR last year but it was against WMU. Well his QBR last night was the best for Pitt this season. Still small sample, but seems to just play the game. Doesn’t need to be Marino or 2021 Pickett. Just needs to be consistent and non turnover prone. He almost had a few picks and should practice ball security when running with his lunges, but he seems to see the field better.

Reactions: 4upmc and Dan1911
Yarnell needs to be the man. If the brain trust picks a one else, they need to be fired. Yarnell looked lightvuears ahead of the other two. Period.

He's pretty accurate - check
Decent enough and willing runner - check
He didn't slide - check

I thought his best traits were getting the team in and out of the huddle and his movement in the pocket. He got the hell out of the pocket when he needed to, and stayed in there making some subtle moves other times. They also weren't fighting the play clock each play.

We'll see what happens next week.

The best description of Nate I can come up with is he doesn’t look the part. He looks a bit awkward has a funny throwing motion doesn’t have a cannon but he seems to know how to get it done. I like the Bernie kosar comparison because neither impress you physically but they just get the job done

CV has all the looks of a qb with a much stronger arm but doesn’t have the moxie it takes to be a good qb.

For sure rhe jury is still out on Nate but his ability to see the field and go through progressions is encouraging. And let’s be honest. A qb is only as good as his OL. Nate had pretty good protection for the most part

He looked comfortable. He has on an odd passing motion but it seems to work. Thought he stayed poised under pressure mostly. He is 6’6” tall so he should be a good enough runner to get yards needed.

The funniest part of all those redos was BC still went up to the line and took their good ole time.
Two-sided elephant in the room as I see it. Pitt’s super duper senior DT’s manhandled (not the DE’s 50 & 8) and just exacly how stupid Hafley is/was lastnight . Pitt got the W but sheesh.

I wouldn’t bring in a grad transfer. I’d recruit young QBs and start Yarnell. I’ll assume CV transfers. If so, maybe recruit a dual threat with several years of eligibility left to play behind NY. Otherwise, I’d like to develop freshmen. I think you need to bring in 2 or 1 fresh and one transfer.

They need get that NiL money working for the D-Line and O-Line for next year.

We need people to donate to Alliance 412 to compete with the NIL money. Last I saw, they were only halfway to their $1M goal. Closer to about $600K.

It's easy to do, and you can donate as little or as much as you want/can.

Yarnell needs to be the man. If the brain trust picks a one else, they need to be fired. Yarnell looked lightvuears ahead of the other two. Period.
I'm sure if you have a large enough sample size, at some point, Yarnell would piss down his leg too.

None of them are going to give you sustained drives, and 60% with 17 to 24 points is about the max. At least for this year.

What impressed me about NY is he seems to have a good feel for how much air to put under the ball. He drilled the passes that needed to be drilled and lofted others - the TD pass to Bub being a prime example…

And nothing struck me as odd about NY’s throwing motion - I guess I’ll have to pay more attention to it…

Go Pitt.

Reactions: TD_6082
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT