ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt @ Clemson (+6.5) thoughts & predictions:

LaRocka2012

Scholarship
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2022
Biggest game of the year, and I believe everyone on this board knows it.... This game IMO will truly decide if this team makes the NCAA tournament this year.

I stated during the first matchup of the year I believed Clemson was a horrible matchup for Pitt and I still feel that way heading into tomorrow's game. They have a matchup nightmare Center in PJ Hall and a lethal 3 pt shooter in Girard. (27 Pts @ Pitt in December) - Both players are All-ACC caliber players and when you mix in some veterans that Clemson possesses, you have a very good basketball team.

3 Keys to the Game:

1.) REBOUND, REBOUND, REBOUND - To me this is they #1 key and here is why.... earlier in December @ Pitt, Clemson had 10 offensive rebounds that led directly to points. This wasn't the main reason Pitt lost the home contest, but it certainly contributed to second chance opportunities that led to baskets. Pitt has been doing a much better job rebounding the basketball once the calender flipped to 2024 and the ability to Leggett, Fede, Austin, to gather rebounds off of the initial miss is paramount. Safe to say if Clemson has 10 offensive rebounds tomorrow night, Pitt is going to lose by 10+

2.) Jaland Lowe. Here is the main reason why I point out the obvious..... Lowe was not nearly the player he currently is for Pitt in the first contest. His ability to pass, shoot, and make the right decisions has been one of the main reasons for Pitt's turnaround on the season. I believe we absolutely need a game where he is aggressive and consistently putting pressure on Clemson's defense in PNR. IF Jaland is making the right decisions and setting up shooters, as well as hunting his shot - Pitt will be in this game for the duration.

3.) Make 3's. I know what most of you are thinking.... (No Sh** they need to make threes) - but hear me out. Everyone outside Hinson in Game #1 against Clemson shot the 3 ball at a 2-13 clip at home.
With the insertion of Lowe into the lineup there are a lot more guys getting better looks from 3. This has naturally led to better looks and better results (See UVA game as Example #1) It is critical Pitt connects on 10+ threes if they are going to win tomorrow night. Clemson is very good inside and I don't expect many easy shots at the rim. Pitt needs to be effective and take (& Make) 3's.

Prediction: Pitt 74-71 - Clemson has been Pitt's nightmare for years now as well all know. I believe the players will feel the desperation in the air for tomorrow's game and come out with the underdog mentality that they have shown so often this year. For whatever reason when their backs are against the wall they seem to rise to the occasion.

Thoughts???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News