ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Coach Narduzzi Wants Star RB Conner To Focus On Offense, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Good to see Coach Pat telling his players focus on doing what they do at their positions and not worry about distractions clogging up one's thoughts! The ACC Offensive Player Of The Year should be focused on his running, staying healthy, and leave the Defense up to Conklin and Narduzzi! Just as I see it, and welcome if others feel differently if they think another way?

ARTICLE & LINK:

Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi appears more focused on protecting All-American running back James Conner than turning him into a two-way player.

"The first thing we have to do is keep him healthy," Narduzzi said. "He was a little banged-up last year. Hopefully, we can play 22 guys and not have to play a guy both ways."

Conner missed most of the Syracuse game late last season after hurting his hip. He also played through painful Achilles and shoulder injuries. Conner, the ACC Player of the Year while rushing for 1,765 yards, spent significant practice time with the defensive ends last season after causing a stir by playing both sides of the ball during the 2013 Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. But he played only one live snap on defense in 2014.

Narduzzi, formerly Michigan State's defensive coordinator, is no stranger to two-way players.

Michigan State wide receiver Tony Lippett started at cornerback in the final four games last season, including the Cotton Bowl against Baylor's high-powered offense. Running back Jeremy Langford was a cornerback early in his college career.

Narduzzi did leave himself some wiggle room with Conner.

"When it comes to a critical third down that we put him out there for, I'm all about winning," Narduzzi said.

But he added, with a smile, "You'll have to talk to coach (Jim) Chaney (offensive coordinator), if he'll let us."

Conner said, "I'm a running back right now. (Narduzzi) told me, 'If it happens, it happens.'

"I'll do whatever." Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/7901201-74/narduzzi-conner-coach#ixzz3TbB2Hcc1

images

Re: Pitt Star Running Back Conner Likes To Give Back, Savors Charity, LINK!

Pitt has a Big Running Back, with a Bigger Heart, and does it with humility and dedication to his priorities. Great to see another Pitt Football Player joining the Ranks of prior Pitt Greats, not just how they play on the GridIron, but how much they do to help others, they were and are all blessed with talent, but they share that blessing as way to give back to others.

Pitt fans and Alumni has to be very proud of such Pitt Players! The Parents are too!

ARTICLE & LINK:

When James Conner and his best friend Sean Gallagher walked into Gallagher's house one day, they were horrified by what they saw. Gallagher's father Michael, who suffers from kidney disease, was laying on the floor, bleeding from his mouth and nose. The Erie McDowell football players fought the urge to panic, gathered Michael in their arms and carried him to the car. With Sean behind the wheel, they drove his father to a hospital emergency room.

The boys were 15. "I was coughing up blood," Michael said. "It was a bad scene."

Michael recovered that day, although he fights a daily battle against kidney disease. He credits his son and Conner, who has grown into Pitt's All-American running back, for saving his life.

Conner, 19, has been a part of the Gallagher family since sixth grade football, when Sean was his quarterback.

That episode triggered a sense of gratitude and charity in Conner that will be on display Saturday at Heinz Field.

Conner will be among four people, including three medical professionals, who will receive the "Small Hands Big Heart" award from the National Kidney Foundation at its annual Gift of Life Gala at the West Club Lounge.

"He carried me to the hospital when he thought I was dying, and he has never left my side since," Michael Gallagher said.

Conner has shown support for Gallagher's daughter, Meghan, another kidney patient. When Meghan was hospitalized, he visited her frequently, once carrying Meghan to a window so she could see the sun set over Lake Erie.

"He has seen all that and been around all that, but he hasn't wavered," Gallagher said. "He could have said this family is a little too nutty for me, but he never did."

Conner also has lent his name and efforts to the Highmark Walk For A Healthy Community, an Erie fund-raiser that benefits several charities, including the NKF.

"Thousands of people came out last year," Conner said, proudly.

This year's event, a walk around Presque Isle, is scheduled for June 6.Conner, who calls Gallagher "Pops," said he is just trying to give back. (THIS IS SOMETHING THE LAIR POSTERS SHOULD CONSIDER GOING TO IN JUNE!)

"The Gallaghers have been supportive of me my whole life," he said. "I just want to show support, show that I care. If you care about someone, you will do things for them."

Conner, who recently wrote a letter to a professor when he found out the professor's daughter had cancer, will give a speech at this year's gala. He said he doesn't mind being a role model.

"People are going to have their eye on you, the things you do off the field," he said. "So it's my responsibility to act right."
Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/7892543-74/conner-gallagher-field#ixzz3TbCzbI5v
images

images

This post was edited on 3/6 5:23 AM by CaptainSidneyReilly

Re: Pitt Star Running Back Conner Likes To Give Back, Savors Charity, LINK!

Good stuff on a great kid...he will do well.

Re: The Thing That Upsets Me Is He Not Leading Heisman Candidate?

I saw some CBS Sports and ESPN Articles lately outlining the Top 5 Heisman Candidates and they did not have Conners listed. I really hope Coach Pat & Staff and Players can win 9 to 10 games so Conners shines in the National Media in 2015.

images

Re: The Thing That Upsets Me Is He Not Leading Heisman Candidate?

Lets face it, the Heisman goes to the best RB or QB on the best team with at least 10 wins going to a major bowl....reality is a b1tch

Originally posted by CaptainSidneyReilly:
I saw some CBS Sports and ESPN Articles lately outlining the Top 5 Heisman Candidates and they did not have Conners listed. I really hope Coach Pat & Staff and Players can win 9 to 10 games so Conners shines in the National Media in 2015.

images

Re: Agree, Article On ACC Heisman Candidates!

I agree, and the reason why Pitt has to win 10 games to get Conners attention for the Hesiman! Below an article on lack of Heisman Candidates in the ACC with Link:

Article & Link:

5. Who are the individual stars in the ACC?

When Dennis Dodd listed five Heisman favorites in his national spring primer, no ACC players could be found. He does not have it out for the ACC, there are just no players that demand the national spotlight quite like a Trevone Boykin or Ezekiel Elliott. In fact, you have to look more than 15 names down the list of players with early Heisman odds before you reach a five-pack of Brad Kaaya (Miami), Dalvin Cook (FSU), Deshaun Watson (Clemson), James Conner (Pitt) and Justin Thomas (Georgia Tech) at 33/1 with Jacoby Brissett (NC State) and Marquise Williams (UNC) listed as longshots at 50/1.

Kaaya, Cook, Conner and Watson will be the names tossed around in the preseason Player of the Year discussion, and their move up the national radar will only come with time and production. If you are looking for some dark horse All-ACC picks, I'd turn my attention to Boston College running back Jon Hilliman and Syracuse quarterback Terrel Hunt.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25092793/acc-spring-practice-watch-more-questions-than-answers

7. Pat Narduzzi arrives at Pitt with Rose, Cotton Bowl titles and rave reviews

The ACC's only new head coaching hire is one of the brightest names from the assistant coaching ranks. Former Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi helped Mark Dantonio build the Spartans program with his simple-but-aggressive defense and the player development that took place in that system. While quarterback Chad Voytik, running back James Conner and wide receiver Tyler Boyd give the Panthers a strong foundation for the offense, this spring will be a time to see who fits in well with the new system installed by Narduzzi and first-year defensive coordinator Josh Conklin.

images

This post was edited on 3/7 11:02 AM by CaptainSidneyReilly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT