ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt doesn’t have playmakers

Monroevillefan

Redshirt
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2005
I wrote on this blog this summer that I didn’t see where Pitt was going to get explosive plays.

the candidates this off-season and the performance to date.

1. Phil Jurkovec. It was hoped he could bring experience and help in the downfield passing game. Hasn’t happened. In the NC game Pitt went to a short passing game. Obviously not what we hoped for

2.Bub Means. He was supposed to be the downfield threat. For all the supposed speed he never seems to be open. I just don’t think he knows how to play receiver. So far a complete bust.

3 Konate Mumpfield. Certainly better than last year but he has turned into a possession receiver. I don’t remember in two years him having a really long pass play.

4 Rodney Hammond. Why he has run the ball so few times is a quandary. But it seems clear he is not Izzy.

5. Gavin Bartholomew. He has played well but just not enough touches. Who knows why.

Bottom line is Pitt has to be a grind it out offense. Very hard to do consistently from your own 25. Harder yet with the injuries to the OL.

on defense it is clear that losing Kancy and Dennis in the same year has really hurt

1. Hayes. He was hopefully going to be the disrupter and has played ok but not close to Kancy.
2. Bengally Kamara. There was hope he could be a disrupter but he was pretty quiet in the first 3 games and injured in the fourth. Hasn’t shown gamechanger capability yet this year.

I think it is fair to say the defense has played better than the offense but not dominant enough to win games on their own.

I think for Pitt to win games going forward they have to play near perfect football. No turnovers and minimal penalties.
we’ll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News