ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Fans Grumble About Sherrill's Coaching

Butler Pitt Fan

Freshman
Jan 16, 2014
So I have been doing some historical research on a project I am working on, and came upon this gem. For copyright reasons I cannot cut and past the article, but will transcribe some of it for you to read.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
By Phil Axlerod
Oct 4, 1979

"A ruddy, red-faced guy in his late 30's grumbled as he trudged out of Veteran's Stadium last Saturday after Pitt's 10-9 victory over Temple. 'Jackie Sherrill will ruin Pitt football. Everything Johnny Majors built up, Sherrill will tear down.' The guy was wearing a bright blue and gold outfit-the schools colors-as he tugged at his wool tassel cap that had Pitt Golden Panthers written over it. He ripped off his Pitt button and heaved it to the pavement. 'This is the last trip I am going to make to see Pitt', he said disgustedly. 'I've had it with Sherrill.'

Judging from phone calls to the Post-Gazette office and other conversations, the guy seems to represent the opinions on an isolated, irate Pitt fan. He seemed to symbolize the prevailing mood, an undercurrent of discontent that is beginning to rumble louder and louder as the Panthers continue to play uninspired football.

Pitt's football program appears to be slipping, slowly eroding from the glory days of 1976. there were high hopes that the Panthers would reappear on the national scene this season, but are 2-1 with a weak Boston College team coming up this Saturday at Pitt Stadium. Pitt's backers are no longer dreaming about 10-1 or 9-2 season. They're fearful they might lose four or even five games.

Sherrill's coaching strategies are being questioned. A less than attractive home schedule combined with Pitt's mediocre record will probably pull attendance below 40,000 level per game since 1973. And that's the bottom line. Pitt football, under Sherrill as head coach, is losing ground in its never-ending battle for the Pittsburgh sports dollar. The annual bowl game and national television revenue, may be missing this season. It's something that has Pitt's followers nervous."

You should read the puff piece on Paterno and PSU in the same paper that day. Despite Pitt being only three seasons removed from a MNC, going 9-2-1, 8-4 the previous season, here's a representation of the Pittsburgh media and Pitt fans in 1979. The same year we went 11-1, crushed PSU and ended up going 22-2 the next two seasons. As much as we bitch about beating Duke ugly, can you imagine the bitching on here if we beat Temple 10-9 with Dan Marino as the QB?

My point is this: we all get frustrated when everything doesn't go right with the program, especially losing commits. But my point is we need a larger prospective here, and negativity seems in the water here in Western PA. Plus our media always seems negative. In my humble opinion, we need to finish this season strong, 9-4, close out our recruiting class and especially hit the portal hard. And truly if we want to win big again, we need to be patient when things hit bumpy patches and not call for the wholesale change of things when things go down a bit. (would be great if we could really tap into some big NIL donors but that's out of my wheel house).

Pitt needs to try and solve two things first and foremost to compete at winning the ACC every year-get a right sized stadium (tarping IMO), to create a better environment and find more Bickells!!!!! There has to be other big grads with business with deep pockets to at least make this an even playing field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News