ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fourth best Football brand in ACC (not including ND)?

Largie Condios

Redshirt
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2013
via The Athletic's Manny Navarro:

Rank the ACC’s football brands from 1 to 15 (including Notre Dame)

A couple of seasons ago, putting Clemson at the top of this list would’ve made sense when the Tigers were a College Football Playoff regular. But at this point, it’s probably safe to go back to Notre Dame as the most coveted brand in the league, even if it is sort of just a part-time member.

Clemson, Florida State and Miami follow the Irish, in that order, as the other schools easily identifiable to football fans as championship-winning programs with titles this century. After that, I’d go with Pittsburgh, which won its last national title in 1976 and is the only other team to win the league title in the last seven years.

Virginia Tech, a former title contender that has fallen on hard times since the Frank Beamer era ended in 2015 and won its last ACC title in 2010, would come next at No. 6.

The Hokies are followed by the four North Carolina schools, Georgia Tech and Louisville, who all slot in tied for seventh. I’m sorry, but I can’t break a tie among programs that all have had a few bright moments on the gridiron but are viewed as basketball or baseball schools first.

That brings us to the bottom three, who have been consistently bad more often than good: Boston College, Virginia and Syracuse (in no particular order).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News