ADVERTISEMENT

PItt - Ga Tech being broadcast by the Fan

I have a gripe about the Pitt website. Yesterday the site had a game day “cover page” for the WSOC game against Duke. Super — that’s as it should be. But today, no similar treatment of tonight’s huge VB game against GT. I find that annoying. Is there a reason? Guess I’m getting cranky in my old age.

Reactions: phijo and Chaos
Bertolino's serve is tough for GT! 23-23 1st set.

Lost the first one...25-23. Had em on the ropes and GT came back.

Pitt needs to receive the serve better. Not great 1st passes so far.

22-19 in the first set.
Ahhh. I’m out of town and don’t have access to ACCNX, so I went to twitter for an update and the latest tweet from Pitt Vball said 25-6. But that was from the Syracuse match the other day.

Sort of wrote them off after two but they are showing why they are ranked high. Go P I T T! Finish this!

Reactions: Black Panther
The stats say it all! This is Ga Tech.
SET 1 19338.421.50019212150401025
SET 2 14432.312.4381420271301125
SET 3 8630.067.267723290402017
SET 4 61032-0.125.1885030120002015
SET 5 6518.056.33351118000018

Reactions: Chaos
I had a feeling this would be a long night, given our history with GT. It would be nice if we could stop blowing leads late in sets, but a great comeback!
Told my daughter if we can get to a 5th set we’ll win. We were first to 15 in every set . #5 for Ga Tech was just dominating on her serve in the first two sets - in a 25 point set you face her serve at least twice - in a 15 pont set hopefully just once —
PItt lost just 2-1 points on her serve in set 5

Oddly - she was their weakest in serve receive - a real boom or bust full rotation player

Bertolino was on my radar because of her elite Ace percentage & being ranked as the top passer in the ACC as tracked by this guy who aggregates metrics on a national scale. She was predictably lethal for them tonight. Fortunately, Babcock gave them nearly as many problems on serve, particularly in Set 1.

Yet another time Nwokolo shows up in a high stakes game - happy for her. Felt Monks deserved more looks as a counterbalance to Babcock - she was near automatic tonight.

The names on the back of the jerseys were a nice touch. Bringing Tautau'a in completely ice cold in a late match serve situation was anything but.

Where is Babcock's ceiling? Like, is this ending anywhere short of her representing her home city at the 2028 Olympics?

Told my daughter if we can get to a 5th set we’ll win. We were first to 15 in every set . #5 for Ga Tech was just dominating on her serve in the first two sets - in a 25 point set you face her serve at least twice - in a 15 pont set hopefully just once —
PItt lost just 2-1 points on her serve in set 5

Oddly - she was their weakest in serve receive - a real boom or bust full rotation player
I also think Bertolino blew 3 serves in the 3rd or 4th set on her 1st serve to give Pitt a boost. It was an exciting match-glad to see the Pitt ladies show the grit and firtityde to come back. H2P

Reactions: PittMBA
Bertolino was on my radar because of her elite Ace percentage & being ranked as the top passer in the ACC as tracked by this guy who aggregates metrics on a national scale. She was predictably lethal for them tonight. Fortunately, Babcock gave them nearly as many problems on serve, particularly in Set 1.

Yet another time Nwokolo shows up in a high stakes game - happy for her. Felt Monks deserved more looks as a counterbalance to Babcock - she was near automatic tonight.

The names on the back of the jerseys were a nice touch. Bringing Tautau'a in completely ice cold in a late match serve situation was anything but.

Where is Babcock's ceiling? Like, is this ending anywhere short of her representing her home city at the 2028 Olympics?
Appreciate the link to that volleyball dork guy. Agree about Monks....Fisher's latest transfer success story. Agree...what was he thinking when he subbed in Tautau. Not sure Babcock has a ceiling.....starting to wonder if she's from the planet earth....Lord have mercy! OK....that's a bit of an exaggeration ;)

Agree about Monks....Fisher's latest transfer success story.
The best thing about Monks is that she genuinely looks like she is having the time of her life on the floor. Our returning core looked so serious and even anxious after falling behind 0-2. Every kill Monks had resulted in her own mini celebration and it didn't take long for the rest of the team to follow.

It seems like part of Fisher's magic is finding these individual talents buried in mediocre teams. Monks is having her best season and she knows it. Without the injury to Kelley, who knows if she would've even played this year. It's an awesome situation for her, and I'm glad the team can take advantage of it.

I'm not even convinced she's our most talented active middle, but you can't argue Monks' production.

Pitt's tops in the country in blocks for per set & Emma has led the way, currently 6th in country as an individual in blocks per set.

And, as you suggested, the fire she brought against GT was invaluable.
If we had Monks playing like she is now we are undefeated.She however did elevate her game once Bri got injured because she was simply playing more.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT