ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt is Overrated, I watched the performance again...

The whole purpose of this thread is to try and keep things grounded after 1 win. And give our guys ammo and even more hunger going into next game to shut me up for calling the performance overrated.

Yes, Im nitpicking after a 50 point win. And yes, I want to feel the magic of 2009 and 2011 for example all over again with an even better tournament run. Those were the days where we put people away early in the first 10 minutes of the game. I want our foot hard on the gas pedal the moment game 2 starts
The coaches are paid big bucks to keep them grounded. There will be plenty of nights where things won't come easy.

This team isn't 2009 or 2011. Not even close.

Vader, I also wondered about putt12, and I would bet DT actually was sure but discreet, based on his double exclamation points. We appreciate your contributions to the Board so much, under any name. Thanks for starting the thread, but I was also thinking about our biggest fan DT's efforts to be evenhanded when I responded.

I was pumped when I watched Monday's game, but watching Auburn-Baylor was a different experience. I found myself recalling Jay Bilas' old comments about Pitt players being "men," and Pitt-UConn games being "war." I was missing Jamarius Burton, missing Dior and Kante as the lost reinforcements. I think it was Levance Fields who responded to a question about being affected by pressure by replying something like, "Don't you think we've been in noisy gyms before?" Let's hope this team can be as tough as when Pitt was Pitt.

I haven't watched the freshmen guards as much as others have. They have had a taste of high-level competition, but it is not out-of-place to put pressure on them in our expectations. We know the coaches are drilling all the players for their increased roles. Pitt needs to do better than last year in these early games so we don't start out in a hole. I think the whole Board has been saying that in one way or another.

Reactions: FireballZ
Its called getting way too over confident and cocky from internet hype. And that is what gets you beat. And that has happened almost every year in the Capel era.

The weaknesses need fixed going into next game.
That’s all you did for the last 5 years about our high school recruits!!! Is this the twilight zone or a joke?

Lunz, its good to see you still on this board. I used to post here many, many years ago and I took a really long time off before returning under the Vader name.

There has been some misconception about me with some pretty wild guesses.

Ill take the Vader mask off. My original, and only other screenname on this board, was putt12.

With that said, I miss my debates with Harve in the old days. One of the best things about Harve, he used to keep people grounded and our team grounded. He never hyped. I miss talking basketball with him.
Well, well. This is kinda feels like the end of an episode of Scooby Doo. 😆😆

Doo6.jpg

Well, well. This is kinda feels like the end of an episode of Scooby Doo. 😆😆

Doo6.jpg
Lol. Yes, it does.

Last year, everybody was in "fire the coach" meltdown mode on opening night after a loss to Michigan.

I don't really know of anyone that was overconfident.

This is why I have him muted. Nitpicking freshmen mistakes or laziness in the midst of a blowout against one of the worst teams in D1 is stupid. It was a win, a big win, where Pitt looked good. We are fans. We don't have to go in the video room and have teachable moments with the players. The coaches will do that enough.

This is definitely an overcorrection to cover his bases and it's dumb.
Yeah dude is an idiot

The coaches are paid big bucks to keep them grounded. There will be plenty of nights where things won't come easy.

This team isn't 2009 or 2011. Not even close.

And the coaches have to do it.

Remember in the 2020-2021 season, we started off 8-2 and 4-1 in the ACC and a had a pair of wins over Syracuse plus a win against Duke? Remember everyone flexing back then?

Everyone was saying we were back and this and that and talking how great we are. The players like X were waiving their hands all over the place in games, blowing kisses to the crowd, flexing and constant fist pumping. And where did all that showboat cockiness get them? We finished 2-10 to end the season.

And you are right, it starts with Jeff Capel and he was letting these guys do this stuff. X had a leash the size of the equator. He could of had 10 turnovers in a game and the Coach was letting him do it.

For the record, Im not so sure anyone truly knows just how good this team is or isn't, yet. Lets not lay an egg in the next few games here like we did against Alabama State last year which was one of the games that wrecked our metrics.

What Im saying is, stay humble and hungry.

Last edited:
-I watched the performance a 2nd time...

-There was really weak closeout ability from our freshmen guards on defense in the 2nd half. Carrington and Lowe need to do a way better job closing out shooters as both of them got beat multiple times for wide open shots. Pitt will get boatraced in the ACC on defense if both freshmen don't step up on defense substantially and take things seriously on defense...

-Pitt shot 8-17 on free throws. 47% on free throw shooting, this has to be one of the worst performances from a home team I have ever seen.

-Pitt lost the turnover margin by -1 in the country. This result is almost as scary against as a team as bad as this with zero quality guards.

-Jaland Lowe had 3 turnovers against arguably the worst team in D1 basketball. Our freshmen guard better get it together in game 2... The weak screens set and our PnR was garbage in this game for a freshmen guard learning from the ropes. The entire frontcourt needs to be better, set screens far harder, and communicate on offense and defense. Give our freshmen PG a better chance and step it up in game 2...
Recency bias is definitely real....we all need to wary of it.

Recency bias is definitely real....we all need to wary of it.

Im really beating a dead horse here and sound like a broken record.

But its been a problem. Not just 1 year, multiple years under Capel. We had guys on defense that were so pathetically lazy just getting back in transition defense. Terrell Brown was guilty of this constantly and it used to drive me crazy. There was one game when Florida State was dunking all over us and he just jogged around like we were up 20. Champ was guilty of this even though he had a leg issue.

And it goes beyond that. I remember the year we lost the opening game to St. Francis. There was a reporter in the pregame that asked Toney what he knew about them. And his response was something along the lines of, "I dont know anything about them but we are going to be just fine"

Right then and there I had a bad feeling about that game. And we lost. And that was the same team that lost 10 of its last 12 games.

And the coaches have to do it.

Remember in the 2020-2021 season, we started off 8-2 and 4-1 in the ACC and a had a pair of wins over Syracuse plus a win against Duke? Remember everyone flexing back then?

Everyone was saying we were back and this and that and talking how great we are. The players like X were waiving their hands all over the place in games, blowing kisses to the crowd, flexing and constant fist pumping. And where did all that showboat cockiness get them? We finished 2-10 to end the season.

And you are right, it starts with Jeff Capel and he was letting these guys do this stuff. X had a leash the size of the equator. He could of had 10 turnovers in a game and the Coach was letting him do it.

For the record, Im not so sure anyone truly knows just how good this team is or isn't, yet. Lets not lay an egg in the next few games here like we did against Alabama State last year which was one of the games that wrecked our metrics.

What Im saying is, stay humble and hungry.
Don't remind me. :rolleyes:

I hope so. I want to make a legit run this year instead of being a bubble team hoping on others to lose to get in.

I want to talk about how high a seed we can get instead of who is on the bubble podcast.

I really like our freshmen and Im not covering any bases, that is petty non sense, I call it like I see it. The last thing any Pitt player needs is any of them thinking they are second coming of Jordan like X Johnson who is now on year 5 in college and almost choked the game away against a midmajor at home last night. Be humble while maintaining killer instinct...
Ok coach.

Reactions: Wanstash21
Ive had my own share of L's. Dont sweat it.

My Femi Odukale thoughts never lived up to the potential for example. Not really close, actually.
Oh, I do remember your take on Femi, and also on Nate Santos. I went after you
on those "takes." That, and the overuse of ORTG's. However, the incredible amount
of time you spend at AAU tourneys, and the research you do is a valuable asset
to this board. I've occasionally googled this stuff and don't come anywhere near what
you sometimes are able to find out and post. It's only one game, but your early
"take" on Carrington looks right on.

Last edited:
This has to be a troll thread right?

I clicked on it thinking it absolutely was .. we beat a team 100-52 and this is what he got from it?

I really don't know how you find anything negative from a 50pt beat down .. the only thing I can point to is the lack of effort to begin the 2nd half .. which was quickly fixed within a few minutes... but it's human nature to back off the pedal when you're in a game like this.

Follow-on stats as to why the 8 for 17 FT shooting is almost certainly a single game aberration.

Shooter Game #1 Prior Season FT %
Austin 0-2 0.786
Hinson 1-2 0.679
Federiko 1-4 0.647
Leggett 2-2 0.845
J. D-G 1-1 0.750
Jeffress 3-4 0.660
Huett 0-2 0.750
Team 8-17
I cranked the prior year percents. If the players above shot their averages Pitt would have been 12/17 on FTs in this game and no one would have complained.

I cranked the prior year percents. If the players above shot their averages Pitt would have been 12/17 on FTs in this game and no one would have complained.

The original post had criticisms along with some hyperbole and satire built within it. I constructed it this way to keep things under control in terms of hype because there is quite a bit of it on social media right now regarding our first game performance.

Based off the interview I listened to this morning given by Hinson and Leggett, these guys understand things could have been even better in terms of weaknesses in last game to improve on, which was the point I was trying to get to. I wrote the message in a way to generate attention to it while also getting people to understand we didn't play anywhere near a perfect game and we cannot let up on our team effort / intensity.

Our 2 locker room leaders appear to "get it".

I wouldn't worry about our free throw numbers from the first game of the season. I think we are ready for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers
What we saw was the potential this team has , I don’t think anyone’s buying Final Four tickets yet !

Lunz, its good to see you still on this board. I used to post here many, many years ago and I took a really long time off before returning under the Vader name.

There has been some misconception about me with some pretty wild guesses.

Ill take the Vader mask off. My original, and only other screenname on this board, was putt12.

With that said, I miss my debates with Harve in the old days. One of the best things about Harve, he used to keep people grounded and our team grounded. He never hyped. I miss talking basketball with him.
Glad you took the mask off, and I enjoy reading your posts both now, and back then. I might not agree everything, and that's true of everyone, but glad you're still around.

-I watched the performance a 2nd time...

-There was really weak closeout ability from our freshmen guards on defense in the 2nd half. Carrington and Lowe need to do a way better job closing out shooters as both of them got beat multiple times for wide open shots. Pitt will get boatraced in the ACC on defense if both freshmen don't step up on defense substantially and take things seriously on defense...

-Pitt shot 8-17 on free throws. 47% on free throw shooting, this has to be one of the worst performances from a home team I have ever seen.

-Pitt lost the turnover margin by -1 in the country. This result is almost as scary against as a team as bad as this with zero quality guards.

-Jaland Lowe had 3 turnovers against arguably the worst team in D1 basketball. Our freshmen guard better get it together in game 2... The weak screens set and our PnR was garbage in this game for a freshmen guard learning from the ropes. The entire frontcourt needs to be better, set screens far harder, and communicate on offense and defense. Give our freshmen PG a better chance and step it up in game 2...
How can a team be overrated when they weren’t rated?

The whole purpose of this thread is to try and keep things grounded after 1 win.
Dude we sucked for like 6 seasons until last year. We won the game by 48 points. Seriously what the hell are you even babbling about?

It was a win, a big win,
Exactly, the team can only play one game at at time, against the opponent that night, and a team's talent gap is the real point taken in a blowout win against bad teams, nothing else can be extracted from it. Having great potential is better than having a low ceiling on November 10th!

Reactions: Ski11585
This is why I have him muted. Nitpicking freshmen mistakes or laziness in the midst of a blowout against one of the worst teams in D1 is stupid. It was a win, a big win, where Pitt looked good. We are fans. We don't have to go in the video room and have teachable moments with the players. The coaches will do that enough.

This is definitely an overcorrection to cover his bases and it's dumb.

Yet you spend hours talking to a wall in SMF?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT