ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt needs to go all-in on a QB: like $1 million

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Forget paying random kids $10K/year or whatever. A QB makes a difference. I dont know what level of QB we can get for $1 million but we need to think outside the box here. Maybe we should overpay for a good QB. Its the only way I see us getting to 6-6 next year. Otherwise, with the mass transfers out and lower transfers in, we are looking at another bad season.

Forget paying random kids $10K/year or whatever. A QB makes a difference. I dont know what level of QB we can get for $1 million but we need to think outside the box here. Maybe we should overpay for a good QB. Its the only way I see us getting to 6-6 next year. Otherwise, with the mass transfers out and lower transfers in, we are looking at another bad season.
You mean how Notre Dame did it with their million dollar QB?

The way some coddle CV is comical. He blows. Do you not watch any college football? There are 1,001 quarterbacks who could do what he does. Ironically, some of the same posters are in the Allar thread slamming him for sucking without realizing the stupidity of it (um, he beat your boy CV out on the depth chart last season).

I agree - need to overpay some mercenary backup at a bigger school to come here or something. Or whomever, but you're going to have to pay up to get it done. I still think Means, Mumpfield, and Reynolds are decent. Johnson might be gone, but I've seen him get open like twice all year anyway.

Let guys like Bass walk if they start making demands. This defense wins with linebackers who know their responsibilities more than athletic freaks like Kamara, who is out of position more than O'Neil Cruz.

Reactions: 303vND and Fk_Pitt
Need a million dollar offensive coordinator first. Has Pitt ever paid a coordinator a million a year?

Is the $1MM quarterback going to make tackles on defense???

No. I wouldn’t pay anyone else. We arent going to be good so it's not worth it. Bring in a good QB for $1 million and maybe we go 6-6. I'd rather do that then pay everyone 10K to go 3-9

No. I wouldn’t pay anyone else. We arent going to be good so it's not worth it. Bring in a good QB for $1 million and maybe we go 6-6. I'd rather do that then pay everyone 10K to go 3-9
I wonder if that’s what the big alliance push is for.

I wonder if that’s what the big alliance push is for.

I hope so. They need to stop giving 3 star dudes 10K-50K. Those guys are a dime a dozen. Pay for a QB. They're not going to get a 1st Rounder for $1 million but they can get a Sam Hartman type and we are 6-6 with Sam Hartman this year

Reactions: Pitt79 and Fk_Pitt
2 years in a row we brought in savior QBs. 3 of them to be exact. How'd that work out. I lost track at how many QBs Duzz has had transfer in in his time here. And here we are. I say bring in high school QBs every year and put a staff in place who can coach them up and put them in position to succeed on the field,

2 years in a row we brought in savior QBs. 3 of them to be exact. How'd that work out. I lost track at how many QBs Duzz has had transfer in in his time here. And here we are. I say bring in high school QBs every year and put a staff in place who can coach them up and put them in position to succeed on the field,

Slovis was fine. If we get another Slovis, we are 6-6 and partying it up at a bowl game in Detroit.

Reactions: pitt_87
We have a lot more problems than just at QB. Every position is a position of need, apparently. The whole defense is really bad, no quality RB's, receivers are mediocre, the lines are terrible. Other than PK, we need a complete rehaul at every position. And new coaches. Especially new coaches. This isn't going to happen any time soon.

I've been saying it for a long time, but over recruit the QB position. When you have 'the guy", keep him happy.

The way some coddle CV is comical. He blows. Do you not watch any college football? There are 1,001 quarterbacks who could do what he does. Ironically, some of the same posters are in the Allar thread slamming him for sucking without realizing the stupidity of it (um, he beat your boy CV out on the depth chart last season).

I agree - need to overpay some mercenary backup at a bigger school to come here or something. Or whomever, but you're going to have to pay up to get it done. I still think Means, Mumpfield, and Reynolds are decent. Johnson might be gone, but I've seen him get open like twice all year anyway.

Let guys like Bass walk if they start making demands. This defense wins with linebackers who know their responsibilities more than athletic freaks like Kamara, who is out of position more than O'Neil Cruz.
CV & DA are very much in the same boat. They both have potential, and just need experience. Maybe they turn the corner, maybe they don't.

College football is littered with productive QBs that spent 2 to 3 years mostly sucking, showing some flashes before figuting it out.

Pitt has a lot more pressing problems than QB.

Reactions: Ski11585
We have a lot more problems than just at QB. Every position is a position of need, apparently. The whole defense is really bad, no quality RB's, receivers are mediocre, the lines are terrible. Other than PK, we need a complete rehaul at every position. And new coaches. Especially new coaches. This isn't going to happen any time soon.

Yes, we have a ton of issues but those arent getting fixed in the portal. So continue to stock the roster with G5 players and get a $1 million QB to get us to Detroit. Otherwise, its 3-9

CV & DA are very much in the same boat. They both have potential, and just need experience. Maybe they turn the corner, maybe they don't.

College football is littered with productive QBs that spent 2 to 3 years mostly sucking, showing some flashes before figuting it out.

No, Drew Allar is a year younger and beat him out. He's better.

CV is getting talked about on this board like he's a true freshman, and he's not. Penn State worked him in a number of games. He has three years in a P5 program. This is what he is, save for a bit of polishing. Dudes don't make Pickett-esque jumps often.

Reactions: 303vND
Is the $1MM quarterback going to make tackles on defense???
The defense we have is good enough with a good college offense like we had in 2021. we only gave up a tiny number of points 28, a good college team averages more than that.

The defense we have is good enough with a good college offense like we had in 2021. we only gave up a tiny number of points 28, a good college team averages more than that.

The defense has been good enough at times this season. Saturday wasn't one of those times. That was the most pathetic effort in the Narduzzi era. Giving up 49 at halftime to OK State (a real offense) was way less embarrassing than getting gashed by that high school offense that was just implemented this past week.

No, Drew Allar is a year younger and beat him out. He's better.

CV is getting talked about on this board like he's a true freshman, and he's not. Penn State worked him in a number of games. He has three years in a P5 program. This is what he is, save for a bit of polishing. Dudes don't make Pickett-esque jumps often.
CV threw 35 passes at PSU. He hasn't been developed and he has over 2 years in front of him.

Dudes make significant improvement all the time. Maybe not Pickett-esque, but nor should he have to be. But he should be significantly better than where he is today.

1*ZYpBSAe0dC4_ha-3GhcO9Q.jpeg

Pitt is a great example that nothing matters more than QB, Steelers too! If Steelers had even mediocre QB play right now, they might be a serious contender, maybe they should have drafted Sam Howell.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Pitt is a great example that nothing matters more than QB, Steelers too! If Steelers had even mediocre QB play right now, they might be a serious contender, maybe they should have drafter Sam Howell.
i've been critical of KP but the system is pure garbage. no qb in the league is doing anything with matt canada as oc.. i truly believe that.

i've been critical of KP but the system is pure garbage. no qb in the league is doing anything with matt canada as oc.. i truly believe that.
I'm at the point where I wonder if he has the arm ability to play in the NFL, there seems to be like a 99% void of passes in the middle of the field 15-20 yards downfield and I wonder if they refuse to call that play or he's scared that he can't do it? And there are times when he's well protected and there are guys open, and he doesn't pull the trigger or misses badly. A typical Yinzer battle cry is "a win is a win" but you have to wonder how much longer they can get multiple INTs in the end zone in the last 2 minutes of games, because they have a tiny lead because they can't score more than 2 TDs in most games.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I'm at the point where I wonder if he has the arm ability to play in the NFL, there seems to be like a 99% void of passes in the middle of the field 15-20 yards downfield and I wonder if they refuse to call that play or he's scared that he can't do it? And there are times when he's well protected and there are guys open, and he doesn't pull the trigger or misses badly. A typical Yinzer battle cry is "a win is a win" but you have to wonder how much longer they can get multiple INTs in the end zone in the last 2 minutes of games, because they have a tiny lead because they can't score more than 2 TDs in most games.
he can throw a slant. he can throw a 15 crossing pattern, you dont need to be dan marino to throw a deep post..

it's just mind boggling how bad we ignore the middle of the field.. hell, jesse james that clown with ben would just run 6 yards and turn around 5 times a game and ben would just get an easy 5 yards, you cant do that?

Dionte can run a quick slant, i've seen him do it, it's possible. I mean he does it then immediately makes a crazy cut that pops his hamstring but he can do it..

pickett's arm is fine. this is a canada / tomlin thing where they dont want him throwing an int so just have him "manage" an extremely conservative game plan and well hope our De gets the timely turnover. so far it's working but damned how many times can you expect this to work?

arm looked pretty good on gutsy 3rd and 9 call in the 4th that resulted in a nice gain but was unfortunately called back by a penalty (I thought it was a pick and good call but I see others disagree)

CV threw 35 passes at PSU. He hasn't been developed and he has over 2 years in front of him.

Dudes make significant improvement all the time. Maybe not Pickett-esque, but nor should he have to be. But he should be significantly better than where he is today.

So you're comfortable with going into next season with CV, Nate, Ty D, and Dugger?

it's just mind boggling how bad we ignore the middle of the field.. hell, jesse james that clown with ben would just run 6 yards and turn around 5 times a game and ben would just get an easy 5 yards, you cant do that?
It is, I saw a passing chart of one of the previous games, and there where 3 dots in the middle of the field and like 15 dots to the extreme of each side, made me wonder if they're scared to let him throw there, you're right, there are almost zero slants ever, and almost nothing downfield in the middle, except maybe the rare deep shot they seem to throw to Austin, which did work once for a bug play.

arm looked pretty good on gutsy 3rd and 9 call in the 4th that resulted in a nice gain but was unfortunately called back by a penalty (I thought it was a pick and good call but I see others disagree)
OK. let's see that kind of play called 10-12 times per game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT