ADVERTISEMENT

PITT vs OkSU Sunday

GoneFisching

Senior
Jan 30, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Is the Athletic Department doing anything on campus or around the city to draw attention to the meet on Sunday? I live in Charlotte, NC so I don't see anything that they are doing, but I would hope that they would take advantage of this top match up to draw attention to the PITT team and try to sell a few tix and get a crowd to Fitz. The team deserves it!

Re: We have all said it before

Pitt is content to let the best talent in the USA go to UPS. Very sad.

Originally posted by Dallas Burgher:
Pitt is content to let the best talent in the USA go to UPS. Very sad.
Really, we had the #2 recruiting class in the nation last year.

You think Jason Peters is content to be out recruited by PSU, as if he can magically wave a wand and make Sanderson disappear?

Inside the Wrestling community the match has been decently advertised. Kocher has sent out more than a few emails about it, it is mentioned in the alumni newsletters and I believe on the website as well. Could do a little more, but they aren't letting it pass quietly. I wonder what the level of advertisement is on campus, though. In the past the team has done promotions where different frats and organizations contend for who makes the most noise and the winner gets something as well as students who attend getting points towards basketball tickets. I expect the same thing is happening for this match; I know the team is excited for it.

As far as the comment regarding Penn St, I feel like Pitt is doing fine. PSU is the top team for a reason, and Pitt is certainly on the right track to becoming a perennial top 10 team; hell, they have been top 15 for the past four yrs, so they are certainly moving in the right direction.

Re: I hope you are right.

I was not aware our recruiting class was so good. How do you think Pitt pulled it off?

#3 Intermat. Peters can recruit. The team is finally fully funded. Scholies are max but he probably could use more roster spots. Wrestling room could probably be spruced up even more.

The Athletic Department.....

sent out an email this morning about the match and giving a link to purchase tickets to the people on their email list.

Tassar was promoting the match at halftime of the ESPN3 broadcast of our women vs. the Irish.

I was really hoping we'd sell out, but I guess that's not going to happen. Hopefully we at least fill out the blue seats.

I've gotten multiple emails about the meet (not that I can make it).

Approximately how many season tickets did they sell this year?

If they don't do it already, I'd send every high school coach in the 7 county metro area two free season tickets, and for one meet a year, send enough tickets to bring their entire team.

Re: There is also.....

Great to hear they are promoting this match. Personally I'd love to see signs promoting the match in every dorm, the Cathedral, etc. to get the students to show up for this one. A lively crowd could energize the team into pulling the upset.

Originally posted by CrazyPaco:
#3 Intermat. Peters can recruit. The team is finally fully funded. Scholies are max but he probably could use more roster spots. Wrestling room could probably be spruced up even more.
is getting rizzo included in these rankings? i know that was a huge get and must affect rankings.

Originally posted by mehinpgh:
Originally posted by CrazyPaco:
is getting rizzo included in these rankings? i know that was a huge get and must affect rankings.
No, he isn't included

Re: Amazing.

Originally posted by Dallas Burgher:
UPS and Ok State down. I wonder how that happened.
Pitt had a big class last year while Penn State had a small one. Luckily for the Panthers, they are kind of alternating with Penn State for the big classes. Pitt likely won't win many recruiting battles with Penn State in PA. PSU is doing a lot of national recruiting after getting who it wants in PA though. There's a lot of talent, arguably the best in the country, in PA, and Pitt seems to get most of who it wants after PSU. If Pitt can keep taking its big classes opposite PSU, that would be huge. And, I have no problem getting high schoolers who feel slighted by not getting to go to PSU. That just makes them work harder and motivates them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT