ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs Tenn-VT-UNC-WF

InfoManiac

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2015
Butler Co, PA
I started the week with 4 Pitt games still on my DVR and I decided to look a little closer at each game. The timing between games ended up showing some changes that occurred over time as Pitt learned their identity and made adjustments due to injuries. Tenn (Game #2), VT (#6), UNC (#10), WF (#13)

Tennessee
===============
Tennessee had some opportunities early due to advanced scouting (blocked punt), Pitt's terrible 1st Qtr field position and Milton's inability to hit open receivers. Pitt's defense tightened up as the game wore on, but maybe the biggest "in game adjustment" was when Pitt went with the empty set. Pitt went empty 8 times in the first half and had seven positive plays that turned the tide in Pitt's favor. Tenn chose to rush 4 guys 5 times and Pickett completed passes on each of those. One time Tenn sent 5 rushers to occupy all the OL and that pass was complete. Tenn sent 6 rushers twice leading to a PI in the end zone and also a TFL due to Pitt calling a QB draw inside the Tenn 10 yd line. Of the 7 times they passed out of empty the Pitt OL had 6 clean pocket with 1 hurry (on the PI call). In the second half Pitt used the empty set 7 more times. Didn't matter if Tenn rushed 4, 5 or 6 players, all pockets were clean pockets resulting in 4 completions, a PI, 1 incomplete pass, and a gain to the 1 yard line on a QB draw (whipple obviously felt a QB draw inside the 10 would be effective since he called it twice out of empty).

Some of the big plays in the game.
- Camp's strip sack of Milton in the first half leading to a FG (downside was it brought H Hooker into the game)
- Haba's strip sack 50 secs into the second half
- the jump ball that Kenny threw with about a min left before halftime (maybe to Mack) that led to the 7 pt lead
- Bartholomew made his transition from HS QB to D1 TE in the first half. Gavin had his first taste of blocking SEC level players in the first quarter and he bounced off of everyone but then in the second qtr he delivered his first big boy shot and the rest was history
- Tre Tipton downed a few punts inside the 5 yard line
- Pitt's 56 yd FG attempt that was returned for a TD could have been a nightmare if not for the penalty that brought it back
- Pitt's ground game late allowed Pitt to ice the game, they first of many times this would be true

Tackling was expected to be a problem early in the season based on the NCAA practice rules and Pitt had 14 missed tackles vs Tenn by 11 different players. The 2 by AJ Woods on consecutive plays leading to a long TD catch was the most vivid one.

Virginia Tech
===============
The VT defense actually played really well in this game but their offense was so abysmal with Burmeister being dinged in their game vs ND, they had no chance. He ran a few times in the second half but otherwise VT just could not move the ball. However the VT defense had 19 hurries on the 40 passing situations I evaluated. Just to explain my process: 1) I don't count quick screens where OL blocking has no impact 2) I sometimes count plays that are overturned by penalty 3) if Pitt only has 5 blockers and the defense sends more guys than Pitt can block then I only count the performance of each player with the guy they are manned up on. I just try to get to the performance of that specific player. Using that method, Pitt's OL gave up no sacks by my count.

At Tennessee the empty set was a huge success and I assumed I would see more of it vs VT, but Pitt went empty only once each half. In the first half the pocket was clean against a 5 man rush but the pass was incomplete. In the second half, the empty set also was clean against a 4 man rush and Pitt got a first down on a PI call.

- For VT to score a TD Pitt committed PI 3 times during the same series all in the endzone
- only 2 players missed tackles (Hallett / M Williams), guys that are in space, a big improvement from the 11 players at Tenn
- Pitt used RBs to pick up the blitz and to chip. V Davis was solid but Izzy was a little shaky, whiffing about half of the time...he got better as season progressed

North Carolina
===============
Kradel goes down on the second play. Houy is already out. The OL depth is going to need to step up. Pitt scores 23 points in the first 25 minutes of regulation and none in the final 35 minutes of regulation. Kenny threw for 346 yds and 3 TD but he was sacked 4 times. UNC led in time of possession by 9 min. Strange game but a much needed win in OT in the rain against a nemesis. The Empty set was used 4 times with 75% sucess: 2 completions, 1 first down run by Kenny and a sack on a 5 man rush. Six players missed tackles for Pitt. The patched up Pitt OL had a tough day with 9 hurries and 2 sacks in 43 snaps (2 more sacks when the UNC sent more players than Pitt could block).

Wake Forest
===============
Only a few things to mention here. Everyone has watched it multiple times. WF really got after Pitt with their pass rush. In 37 snaps Wake had 18 hurries and the OL gave up 4 sacks in addition to the hurries. That's 22 out of 37 snaps where the OL was under durress. Kenny was bailing early at times (likely due to his injury) and that led to some hits he might have avoided. There were times when Kenny was setting up to throw 11-13 yards deep (possibly injury related). I think MSU will likely follow the WF pass rush plan since it was effective against Pitt. The question really is how well will Pitt be able to run the ball. Pitt's run blocking was mostly average in these 4 games. Watching the line run block it seems like they have difficulty displacing the defense and they just get into a scrum. Lanes are not readily available. Lately Izzy has been able to use his speed to beat defenders to the corner, but the OL need to create lanes for 5 yard runs. The other side of the ball should be much better for Pitt. It seems like every game they figure out how to adjust and close out games and put a lot of pressure on the opponent. I think the D will be strong if they can stay claer of PI's.

Offensive Line Pass Blocking in these 4 games
When reviewing these numbers please consider that edge blockers have a tougher job than interior lineman that can pass off rushers or can double team more easily
==========================
- Zubovic 58 snaps 1 hurry 98%
- Drexel 143 snaps 5 hurries 96%
- Minor 146 snaps 7 hurries 95%
- V Davis 20 snaps 1 hurry 95%
- Izzy 15 snaps 1 hurry 93%
- Warren 157 snaps 10 hurries 2 sacks 92%
- Houy 113 snaps 10 hurries 91%
- Kradel 74 snaps 7 hurries 91%
- Goncalves 81 snaps 12 hurries 3 sacks 81%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT