ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt women lose to Duke 69-38

mike10003

Redshirt
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2009
I suppose this is mainly to see what Joe and chescat have to say, but as I sat there watching, it felt like Duke was very average......and Pitt couldn't do a damn thing against them. 3 points in the first quarter and I declared it as one of the worst halves of women's basketball I've ever seen, and we have had some terrible teams over the past decade or so. Tory seemed equally as frustrated in his press conference, and I saw him visibly put his hands on his head in frustration and walk away to his chair multiple times throughout the game, maybe because Pitt wasn't running whatever play he wanted or something.

Watched about a quarter. Worst guard play I can remember seeing from Pitt, and that’s saying something.

Our guards make horrible passes and take horrible shots. Marley’s shooting percentage is 25%. We need at least two new portal guards for next season…

Post-game, Coach Verdi said his team was “dysfunctional” and that he was embarrassed. He also went out on a limb and said this won’t happen again this year.

Go Pitt.

I haven't seen all of every game, but that was as bad as I seen them look this season. In part because Duke didn't seem all that good to me. I mean borderline top 25, maybe, but Pitt has and will play better teams than Duke. Some better by a good margin. And they really weren't even competitive for most of the game. I guess some of the second quarter was OK, but outside that, Pitt was really bad.

I saw him visibly put his hands on his head in frustration and walk away to his chair multiple times throughout the game

You might notice, he keeps a towel on the end of the scorers table and sometimes he walks over, picks it up and covers his mouth with it. I can't say this for sure, but I'll bet the reason why he does that is because he's cursing a blue streak and he doesn't want people hearing him.

This team just doesn't have the talent to compete at this level. And imagine how bad it would be if Liatu King had transferred after the coaching change to spend her last season elsewhere.

On second thought, don't imagine that. It'll give you nightmares.

They are terrible …Verdi may not be the answer as well.

They are terrible …Verdi may not be the answer as well.
Very, Very little talent. King is the only ACC level player. As for Verdi
no way should he be judged at this point. He signed late, couldn't
recruit at that late date.

Last edited:
Reactions: jctrack
The Duke game.....only seeing it on tv I couln't tell if they came out
uninspired. Their stats were beyond bad. Assist/TO ratio worse than
ever, 6 Assists/19 TO's. Not sure I've ever see that before. Duke in
comparison had 17 TO's (also bad) BUT they had 17 Assists. The
shooting %'s were just as bad in all areas.... FG's, 3's, and FT's. Meanwhile
Duke shot ok. Is Duke a powerhouse? No, but they do have ACC level
players. They have some height too (they outrebounded us badly). Once
again we had a miserable 4th Qtr, which helped lead to a 31 pt loss.
This program needs an infusion of talent, and not A-10 level talent.
As pointed out above, the guard play is terrible. Marley W is not a
quality guard, can't shoot, and is a TO machine. I realize Malcolm is
a local favorite, but as said before, she's not only slow, but she's also
not quick. When she has a shooting night like in this game, she's a liability.
Anyway, as everyone here knows, and as was predicted, we do not have
the talent to compete in the ACC. Recruiting will tell us a lot about Verdi.

Last edited:
Very, Very little talent. King is the only ACC level player. As for Verdi
no way should he be judged at this point. He signed late, couldn't
recruit at that late date.
I think that falls directly on the shoulders of ADHL. Did anyone not know that White was going to get fired? He shouldn’t have finished the season and she should have been lining up a replacement in December. Maybe then they don’t lose so much to the portal.

Same thing with softball. Hermanek actually should have been fired at least a year earlier, but after she finally was, Heather waited way too long to get a new coach. By that time, again the portal has taken its toll and recruiting was pretty much over except for the portal. She did manage to get a couple of pitchers from the portal (Hermanek’s biggest weakness, and she had many, was her failure to ever sign a decent pitcher) but both had very high ERAs at lower competition levels.

Either in 2022 or 2023, Clemson fielded its first softball team in the ACC. I remember looking at their roster and they had 9 pitchers on it; based on their resumes’ I assume 8 of them were on scholarships. All they did in their first ever season was make the NCAA tournament. Pitching kills.

I agree with your overall point, but, except for maybe one player, Pitt didn’t really lose anything in the way of ACC-type-talent to the portal.

That one player was Avery Strickland. She transferred to Tenn. but she must have gotten injured because she hardly has any stats right now down there.

The other players who left were similar in talent to the players we have now…

Now the incoming coach getting a chance to bring in better players from the portal is another story…

Go Pitt.

Reactions: Arrch
I agree with your overall point, but, except for maybe one player, Pitt didn’t really lose anything in the way of ACC-type-talent to the portal.

That one player was Avery Strickland. She transferred to Tenn. but she must have gotten injured because she hardly has any stats right now down there.

Day Harris is averaging 12 points, 3 rebounds and 4.6 assists at Clemson. And she's shooting the ball better than she did here. She'd be playing a ton of minutes if she were still here.

Sandrine Clesca is starting at Monmouth, but she is shooting 31.9% from the field and 20.7% from three. They don't miss her.

Taisha Exanor is also starting at Monmouth. She's averaging 7.4 and 5.5. She also has 22 assists and 42 turnovers, so she'd still fit in with her former teammates. They don't miss her.

Emy Hayford is starting at Fordham. She's averaging 12 points per game, but she's shooting 38.8% from the field, and 28.0% from three. I don't know if she's playing the point there or not, but she has 44 assists and 67 turnovers, so another one who'd still fit in with her former teammates. They do not miss her.

Amber Brown may have gotten hurt, because she's only played seven games for St. John's and in those games she's averaging 3.7 and 6.3. But they also do not list her on their current roster on their web site, so something else may be going on there. Either way, if she's hurt or not playing for some other reason, they really wouldn't miss that.

Destiny Strother is starting for Niagara. She's averaging 8.1 and 2.4, and is shooting 35.2% from the field. They do not miss her.

Cynthia Ezeja has only played 13 games for Loyola Marymount. She's averaging 6.5 and 5.2, but she has not played in a game in the last three plus weeks. I'm guessing she's hurt. She hasn't played more than 19 minutes in a game all season, so she is not one of their top players. Pitt could probably use her size inside, so maybe they miss her a little?

Maliyah Johnson is playing around 20 minutes per game for Houston. She's averaging 8.8 and 3.2. She's shooting 39.4% overall and 32.3% on threes. They miss her some. I would think she'd surely be starting for Pitt, but it's not like she's all that good, just better than much of what they have.

Day Harris is averaging 12 points, 3 rebounds and 4.6 assists at Clemson. And she's shooting the ball better than she did here. She'd be playing a ton of minutes if she were still here.

Sandrine Clesca is starting at Monmouth, but she is shooting 31.9% from the field and 20.7% from three. They don't miss her.

Taisha Exanor is also starting at Monmouth. She's averaging 7.4 and 5.5. She also has 22 assists and 42 turnovers, so she'd still fit in with her former teammates. They don't miss her.

Emy Hayford is starting at Fordham. She's averaging 12 points per game, but she's shooting 38.8% from the field, and 28.0% from three. I don't know if she's playing the point there or not, but she has 44 assists and 67 turnovers, so another one who'd still fit in with her former teammates. They do not miss her.

Amber Brown may have gotten hurt, because she's only played seven games for St. John's and in those games she's averaging 3.7 and 6.3. But they also do not list her on their current roster on their web site, so something else may be going on there. Either way, if she's hurt or not playing for some other reason, they really wouldn't miss that.

Destiny Strother is starting for Niagara. She's averaging 8.1 and 2.4, and is shooting 35.2% from the field. They do not miss her.

Cynthia Ezeja has only played 13 games for Loyola Marymount. She's averaging 6.5 and 5.2, but she has not played in a game in the last three plus weeks. I'm guessing she's hurt. She hasn't played more than 19 minutes in a game all season, so she is not one of their top players. Pitt could probably use her size inside, so maybe they miss her a little?

Maliyah Johnson is playing around 20 minutes per game for Houston. She's averaging 8.8 and 3.2. She's shooting 39.4% overall and 32.3% on threes miss her some. I would think she'd surely be starting for Pitt, but it's not like she's all that good, just better than much of what they have.
That's a pretty accurate review of the players we lost. Harris actually started off great
as a Frosh. Had a knee problem, and never really improved that much given the coaching
and the state of the program. She transers and she does much better at Clemson. We could
really use her now when you look at out backcourt today. I did like Johnson and believe
she'd start at forward or wing if she were here. The others are no great loss, except I do
think Strickland would probably also start. Of course still no Big in the lineup, but I do
think we'd be somewhat, maybe marginally better with those three players if they stayed.

Last edited:
I forgot about Day Harris. Yeah she would have helped some. While she was also maddening to watch, her play would be significantly better than Marley’s…

Day Harris and Rita developing into stars, at point guard and center, was what Coach White needed to start to pull Pitt up. They were both good candidates as freshmen, IMHO, but neither developed anywhere close to where they needed to go…

Go Pitt.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Does anyone remember what happened to the women’s coach when Pitt entered the Big East, Judy Saurer?

She was at Pitt four years, never had a losing record in the conference and was the regular-season champ in 1983-84.

Kirk Bruce replaced her and was awful.

In our loss to ND today, our guards shot 4 for 28! And the team had 16 turnovers.

Needless to say, we lost convincingly. This season can’t end too soon for Coach Verdi.

Go Pitt.

In our loss to ND today, our guards shot 4 for 28! And the team had 16 turnovers.

Needless to say, we lost convincingly. This season can’t end too soon for Coach Verdi.

Go Pitt.
Unfortunately this a repeat of what they've been producing. I've probably
bored some posters on here with TO/Assist ratios, but here we are again. They
were 9 Assists to 16 TO's. That is a killer! Last game as I posted, they were
6 Assists and 19 TO's. I've never seen repeated ratios like that. Of course when
you shoot Fg's at 28% and 3's at 13% as they did yesterday there aren't going to
be many Assists. One reflects the other. For comparison ND had an Assist TO Ratio
of 17/9. THAT is what it's supposed to look like. Our guard situation is really bad
and is being exposed during ACC games.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this a repeat of what they've been producing. I've probably
bored some posters on here with TO/Assist ratios, but here we are again. They
were 9 Assists to 16 TO's. That is a killer! Last game as I posted, they were
6 Assists and 19 TO's. I've never seen repeated ratios like that. Of course when
you shoot Fg's at 28% and 3's at 13% as they did yesterday there aren't going to
be many Assists. One reflects the other. For comparison ND had an Assist TO Ratio
of 17/9. THAT is what it's supposed to look like. Our guard situation is really bad
and is being exposed during ACC games.

The turnovers are bad, but you also have to keep in mind that the average women's team turns the ball over significantly more than the average men's team. The average men's team is around 12 turnovers per game, the average women's team is around 16 turnovers a game. So Pitt having 16 turnovers yesterday certainly isn't, or at least shouldn't be, outside of normal expectations.

To put some numbers on it, there is only one D1 women's team averaging less than 10.0 turnovers per game, Colorado State at 9.1. There are 32 men's teams averaging less than 10.0 (including our Pitt Panthers at 9.9). There are eight women's teams that average less than 12.0 turnovers per game, while there are 171 men's teams that do.

The Pitt women are currently 249 in turnovers per game at 17.2. Which means that there are 98 women's teams that turn the ball over more than Pitt does (Alabama State is the worst at 24.0 per game). Sienna and Stone Cold Stephen F Austin are tied for the worst men's teams in the country, and they average 16.8 per game.

That isn't to say that Pitt doesn't need to be better, and can't be significantly better. Just pointing out that the numbers could actually be worse.

The turnovers are bad, but you also have to keep in mind that the average women's team turns the ball over significantly more than the average men's team. The average men's team is around 12 turnovers per game, the average women's team is around 16 turnovers a game. So Pitt having 16 turnovers yesterday certainly isn't, or at least shouldn't be, outside of normal expectations.

To put some numbers on it, there is only one D1 women's team averaging less than 10.0 turnovers per game, Colorado State at 9.1. There are 32 men's teams averaging less than 10.0 (including our Pitt Panthers at 9.9). There are eight women's teams that average less than 12.0 turnovers per game, while there are 171 men's teams that do.

The Pitt women are currently 249 in turnovers per game at 17.2. Which means that there are 98 women's teams that turn the ball over more than Pitt does (Alabama State is the worst at 24.0 per game). Sienna and Stone Cold Stephen F Austin are tied for the worst men's teams in the country, and they average 16.8 per game.

That isn't to say that Pitt doesn't need to be better, and can't be significantly better. Just pointing out that the numbers could actually be worse.
Yes, good point they can be worse, in fact Pitt has gone over 20 TO's more than once this year.
As you know good teams have a reverse ratio, meaning more Assists than TOs. Pitt's TO
problem isnt just in the TO stat, it's the lack of Assists. ND had 9 TO's not all that bad
but they had 17 Assists. The game before same thing, ours was bad. Making your point,
Duke had 17 TO's (pretty bad) but they had 17 Assists. Our Assist/TO ratio is killing us.
This ain't men's bball, that's for sure, but having the team as a whole doing what we're
doing in this one area is killing us. Somewhat surprising, Liatu Kings A/TO, Take a look.
Also interesting, Timmerson and Battle are much better in this ratio than their team mates.

Overall for the season, we're better than the last few games. I gave a snapshot which
only reflects those two games, but that snapshot is another look at how we do in the
ACC. It also reflects the play of our backcourt which is often mentioned on here by
other posters.

Somewhat surprising, Liatu Kings A/TO, Take a look.

It's not really all that surprising. Most non-guards have more turnovers than assists. And since King is the one making most of Pitt's shots, how is she supposed to get any assists!

As far as the ratios go, again, big difference between the men and the women. There are 245 men's teams with more assists than turnovers so far this season. There are only 85 women's teams that have more assists than turnovers. Men's and women's teams average similar number of assists per game, but all those extra turnovers kill the ratio for many of the women's teams.

It's not really all that surprising. Most non-guards have more turnovers than assists. And since King is tTOhe one making most of Pitt's shots, how is she supposed to get any assists!
Of course, obviously as a forward that's true. However the above was about A/TO's,
not just Assists. She is second on the team with TO's with 73. Marley of course leads
the team with 84. I realize Liatu ends up with the ball a lot, and obviously she freuently
gets double teamed. The point wasn't to criticize her play (she's the only legit ACC
player on the team). Nothing more here than making some observations as to why we're
seeing what we're seeing with this team. By the way I often post about A/T0's on
the men side too.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT