ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Article Pitt's newest commit: "I've always wanted to go to Pitt"

You have a problem.

Why? Because I hate fans who turn their cheak and look the other way solely because it's Pitt?

Recruiting is a MAJOR problem at Pitt and Narduzzi and staff are doing nothing to correct it. That frustrates the hell out of me and I think it's crazy Pitt fans just accept it.

Get some damn recruiters on this staff, even if they can't coach a position. The current strategy hasn't worked since year 1. What happened to that fire with Narduzzi?

Look at each player and who we beat out for them this year and compare it to year 1 for Narduzzi and tell me the class they pulled in is the best they can do. He's pulling up a big rig to Devonshire's house and tweeting shit out to him, which would make you think he wants the kid bad enough....but failed to get an offer in his hands till June??? WTF is that? He knew who the kid was from his Sophomore year. The recruiting at Pitt is mind boggling and the posters here give the same crap over and over. Donald, Lewis, Romeus, Conner were 2 stars or if it's good enough for narduzzi, it's good enough for me. Quit being a blind sheep and use the brain god gave you.

You know it's bad when you get a verbal and your class rating drops lower.

Yeah this one is a little puzzling, his offer sheet looks horrible. If we’re looking to be positive I guess you can say that he’s a really bright kid if Air Force is offering.

I don't think we have to watch PSN's Devonshire announcement come next Wednesday now do we?
I don't know if Dennis and Devonshire are connected. Either way, I'll be at Aliquippa on Wednesday morning when Devonshire makes his commitment.

Reactions: President Stache
So it looks like the Pitt staff didn't even know about this kid until a couple of weeks ago. It has the feel of them just throwing a line out into the water to see if something will bite. Who knows? Maybe it will work out? But the impression that's given is that Pitt is doing a very poor job with recruiting. It certainly hasn't improved over the course of Narduzzi's tenure. That said, I wish the young man well and hope he has a great experience at Pitt.

Hey, happy we got someone who actually played the position, right? Not a converted punter or whatever our recent LB were.

Btw I totally believe that a young man from Syracuse NY, who was attending prep school with a highly unfortunate name in NJ and had committed to the Air Force academy, always dreamed of attending a university in Pittsburgh PA (as his blurb states). :D

Folks, rip on the current coach all you want, but in 2019, this is what you get without a bagman. Cheating has never been more rampant... and vital. Wake up, Gallagher.

Reactions: RiskyBusinessPSU
Hey, happy we got someone who actually played the position, right? Not a converted punter or whatever our recent LB were.

Btw I totally believe that a young man from Syracuse NY, who was attending prep school with a highly unfortunate name in NJ and had committed to the Air Force academy, always dreamed of attending a university in Pittsburgh PA (as his blurb states). :D

Folks, rip on the current coach all you want, but in 2019, this is what you get without a bagman. Cheating has never been more rampant... and vital. Wake up, Gallagher.

So do you blame the recruiting woes on the lack of cheating? Is Dabo paying recruits?

Or does it have to with lack of winning, off campus stadium/facilities, small crowd sizes, poor recruiting-ground base? It just seems like the issue runs a bit deeper than the lack of a bag-man.

Reactions: richmin3
So do you blame the recruiting woes on the lack of cheating? Is Dabo paying recruits?

Or does it have to with lack of winning, off campus stadium/facilities, small crowd sizes, poor recruiting-ground base? It just seems like the issue runs a bit deeper than the lack of a bag-man.
Guys like him and Meyer and other blue bloods don't necessarily have to openly cheat with outright bags of cash ... anymore. They have street cred.

The rest, do.

Reactions: RiskyBusinessPSU
"Recruiting is a MAJOR problem at Pitt and Narduzzi and staff are doing nothing to correct it. That frustrates the hell out of me and I think it's crazy Pitt fans just accept it."

Wow! Thanks for waking me up to the poor recruiting efforts. I'm not gonna take it anymore!!

I think I'll go and protest down at the football facilities on Monday morning... that'll stop this nonsense.

Thing is, Pitt fans aren't accepting it. They aren't picketing Heinz Field (would if they did, at least they'd still be paying for parking and eating at the Zak Brown Band Bar or whatever it is). They just aren't showing up, period.

Another player who always dreamed of going to Pitt.....

Because he has no remotely close offers.

This class will not elevate the program. Heather has to know it.

The temp on Narduzzis seat is officially rising.....

Thing is, Pitt fans aren't accepting it. They aren't picketing Heinz Field (would if they did, at least they'd still be paying for parking and eating at the Zak Brown Band Bar or whatever it is). They just aren't showing up, period.

Pitt fans can force change, and they already know how. They forced it with Stallings and they can force it with Narduzzi. Football isn't there yet, but c'mon man, how can it not be going in that direction with recruiting like this? At least Pirate fans get fireworks and cheap handouts. Pitt fans get the same on-field results and go home with elevated blood pressure.

Reactions: WarholPaintings
Another player who always dreamed of going to Pitt.....

Because he has no remotely close offers.
Yeah. That was the point of my sarcastic post above...

Good on the guy for getting a free ride to a place beyond his means, I guess.

Hey, Idowu was a mere walk on and became our best linebacker right? Oh... that ISN'T an appealing analogy is it...

As far as Heather and "acceptance" of these recruiting issues, what is she supposed to do? Forget football and Narduzzi for a sec, which is strange (but not really, wink wink) enough ... Duz shouldn't be recruiting like Saban for sure, but better than this.

The scary one is, you have Capel, a top flight recruiter, major pedigree, yet can't coerce a guy to commit over a has-been AAC school, with a famous but total hack coach, that has 3 guys ahead of him on the depth chart. That is preposterous on the surface, without realizing the sleaze that truly must occur underneath. Georgetown is garbage these days, but still must have enough freedom to line pockets, more than us anyway.

Really, the only real mystery though is how Capel even got X and McGowens at this point. They are playing above their ratings but still better than we should have been attract with empty hands. Come to think, all (except worthless Stallings) recent hires seem to have a momentary spurt of surprising success in recruiting, then drop into doldrums. Does our admin grant a brief one time reprieve to allow booster shenanigans until they shut the spigot again?

Why? Because I hate fans who turn their cheak and look the other way solely because it's Pitt?

Recruiting is a MAJOR problem at Pitt and Narduzzi and staff are doing nothing to correct it. That frustrates the hell out of me and I think it's crazy Pitt fans just accept it.

Get some damn recruiters on this staff, even if they can't coach a position. The current strategy hasn't worked since year 1. What happened to that fire with Narduzzi?

Look at each player and who we beat out for them this year and compare it to year 1 for Narduzzi and tell me the class they pulled in is the best they can do. He's pulling up a big rig to Devonshire's house and tweeting shit out to him, which would make you think he wants the kid bad enough....but failed to get an offer in his hands till June??? WTF is that? He knew who the kid was from his Sophomore year. The recruiting at Pitt is mind boggling and the posters here give the same crap over and over. Donald, Lewis, Romeus, Conner were 2 stars or if it's good enough for narduzzi, it's good enough for me. Quit being a blind sheep and use the brain god gave you.
So what are you going to do about it? Is continually trashing Narduzzi on this board the answer? Are you going to berate him in public? Stalk heather Lyke so she knows “the truth” that you know?

Seriously what are you going to do that is so damn productive? Convincing yourself that “all Pitt fans” who aren’t flat out angry like you love narduzzi isn’t really helpful. Lots of people are willing to give him another year but aren’t sold that he’s the answer. And treating all of us Pitt fans as stupid morons doesn’t really do much to change our minds.

If you were heather Lyke, do we fire him today because he offered this kid? Do you think trashing him non-stop is doing Pitt a favor because it will cause people to hate him sooner stop supporting the team and force heather’s hand?

So what are you going to do about it? Is continually trashing Narduzzi on this board the answer? Are you going to berate him in public? Stalk heather Lyke so she knows “the truth” that you know?

Seriously what are you going to do that is so damn productive? Convincing yourself that “all Pitt fans” who aren’t flat out angry like you love narduzzi isn’t really helpful. Lots of people are willing to give him another year but aren’t sold that he’s the answer. And treating all of us Pitt fans as stupid morons doesn’t really do much to change our minds.

If you were heather Lyke, do we fire him today because he offered this kid? Do you think trashing him non-stop is doing Pitt a favor because it will cause people to hate him sooner stop supporting the team and force heather’s hand?

If i'm Heather Lyke i definately let him know that his recruiting is terrible and that he hasn't made any staff adjustments. I let him know that this is it, you've been given the advise to right the ship, but you continue to stay the course with what you feel is right. If i'm not satisfied with this year's results (8+ wins), then you die on your sword.

What should fans do? Cut your donations, stop your season tickets, let it be known that you are done with the program until changes to right the ship are made. Your donations should be conditional, not blind. A couple year slump is 1 thing, not being able to sniff 9 wins since DW is crazy. It was done for hoops, it can be done for football.

Trust me, if 10,000 letters are mailed to Pitt saying this is a disgrace, me and my $$ are out. Call me when you get a plan and a coach who has a clue about recruiting, changes will be made.

If i'm Heather Lyke i definately let him know that his recruiting is terrible and that he hasn't made any staff adjustments. I let him know that this is it, you've been given the advise to right the ship, but you continue to stay the course with what you feel is right. If i'm not satisfied with this year's results (8+ wins), then you die on your sword.

What should fans do? Cut your donations, stop your season tickets, let it be known that you are done with the program until changes to right the ship are made. Your donations should be conditional, not blind. A couple year slump is 1 thing, not being able to sniff 9 wins since DW is crazy. It was done for hoops, it can be done for football.

Trust me, if 10,000 letters are mailed to Pitt saying this is a disgrace, me and my $$ are out. Call me when you get a plan and a coach who has a clue about recruiting, changes will be made.
What "advice" would she have given him? He'd "advise" right back: unleash the friggin boosters like in 1978 and in 2 years il be lifting a REAL trophy.

Consider the source. This is the clown who was running around with his hair on fire because Duzz hadn’t hired an OC five days after Watson was dismissed. Duzz goes on to hire a decent OC and WR coach so the knuckle draggers don’t have much to whine about. So they go back to screaming about recruiting

Yeah this class is not great but it is in the 30s or 40s. Where most of the teams at Pitts level are.

Me I’ll wait to judge dUzz in next years results. If they improve on this year all this crying over recruiting becomes irrelevant

Keep treating Pitt football like a family member who has an addiction and just needs more support to right turn their life around. This is a business, not family.

Reactions: brickfhouse
Consider the source. This is the clown who was running around with his hair on fire because Duzz hadn’t hired an OC five days after Watson was dismissed. Duzz goes on to hire a decent OC and WR coach so the knuckle draggers don’t have much to whine about. So they go back to screaming about recruiting

Yeah this class is not great but it is in the 30s or 40s. Where most of the teams at Pitts level are.

Me I’ll wait to judge dUzz in next years results. If they improve on this year all this crying over recruiting becomes irrelevant

Do I need to get all your posts again?
Pickett sucks!!
Duzz has lost me!!!

And on and on and on.

Pitt fans can force change, and they already know how. They forced it with Stallings and they can force it with Narduzzi. Football isn't there yet, but c'mon man, how can it not be going in that direction with recruiting like this? At least Pirate fans get fireworks and cheap handouts. Pitt fans get the same on-field results and go home with elevated blood pressure.
Why don’t people like you ever learn from history? Walt Harris and Dave Wannstedt had Pitt on firm ground, provided stability, and were averaging about 8 wins a year. People like you thought Pitt could do better when the reality is Pitt is more likely to go backwards. Refer to the fiasco that happened after Wanny.

Keep treating Pitt football like a family member who has an addiction and just needs more support to right turn their life around. This is a business, not family.
then what do we do to make this business better?

Seriously.
You basically saying ghost the university to force change. Make the university worse.

I don't know if Dennis and Devonshire are connected. Either way, I'll be at Aliquippa on Wednesday morning when Devonshire makes his commitment.

What’s the point of this manufactured drama? Spoiler alert: he’s going to Kentucky.

I wouldn’t be bitter losing him to Ohio State or even Penn State. For him to go to Kentucky, who wasn’t on his radar a month ago, is a real rebuke.

then what do we do to make this business better?

Seriously.
You basically saying ghost the university to force change. Make the university worse.
Countless proof is out there that for a school like Pitt that is known almost completely because of its (revenue) sports, that good sports improve the university's standing, while bad sports hurts it. Not 100%...if your school sucks it will still be considered to suck (aka WVU), and vice versa... but it has a definite impact. Look at how schools like Ohio state and UNC are considered superior schools to Pitt. They don't sell their souls for sports just for egos.

What’s the point of this manufactured drama? Spoiler alert: he’s going to Kentucky.

I wouldn’t be bitter losing him to Ohio State or even Penn State. For him to go to Kentucky, who wasn’t on his radar a month ago, is a real rebuke.
A couple of people who are close to him on this board say otherwise. More often than not it’s the insiders that have the right prediction. (Robert Foster was a big exception because he changed his mind).

A couple of people who are close to him on this board say otherwise. More often than not it’s the insiders that have the right prediction. (Robert Foster was a big exception because he changed his mind).
Yep, "he" changed "his" mind ... :rolleyes:

Countless proof is out there that for a school like Pitt that is known almost completely because of its (revenue) sports, that good sports improve the university's standing, while bad sports hurts it. Not 100%...if your school sucks it will still be considered to suck (aka WVU), and vice versa... but it has a definite impact. Look at how schools like Ohio state and UNC are considered superior schools to Pitt. They don't sell their souls for sports just for egos.
I’m not really asking about the school, i’m asking about the football program. Basically @BigBird80 seems to believe that unconditionally trashing Pitt football is the answer to making it better. That’s the only concrete thing he has suggested.

I’m not really asking about the school, i’m asking about the football program. Basically @BigBird80 seems to believe that unconditionally trashing Pitt football is the answer to making it better. That’s the only concrete thing he has suggested.
Oh no, i don't advocate that at all. It wouldn't work anyway.

My argument would be similar to my post above... great sports might turn the admins stomachs by what it takes to have them ... mine too, honestly ... but they produce an unmistakable benefit to the overall university. Pitt admin hold the whole school down by accepting bad sports. Conversely they'd lift the university UP with serious winners. It's a POSITIVE argument.

Last edited:
Yep, "he" changed "his" mind ... :rolleyes:
He outright told a bunch of people he was going to Pitt. Until the day before his announcement. Nobody held a gun to his head when he announced or when he signed his letter. So yes “He” changed his mind. Something may have caused a change but it was a change from what he had communicated previously.

Why don’t people like you ever learn from history? Walt Harris and Dave Wannstedt had Pitt on firm ground, provided stability, and were averaging about 8 wins a year. People like you thought Pitt could do better when the reality is Pitt is more likely to go backwards. Refer to the fiasco that happened after Wanny.

Me? I'm the bigggest DW homer around and still communicate with the Gattusso family to this day.

Narduzzi doesn't need a complete overhaul on the staff. He needs to go back to being the hungry coach that he was when he first got here. He also needs to go hire hungry recruiters who go out and do whatever it takes to get higher ceiling kids. The program is not on the rise, so you have to try something different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT