ADVERTISEMENT

please.......no nitwits in ACC !!

Any Penn State fan who feels PSU should leave the B1G is functionally retarded. The B1G is the best conference for Penn State and they aren't going anywhere.

The ACC would trade Pitt for Penn State in a heartbeat or the Big Ten could add Temple and the five or six TVs it would bring to the conference in the Philadelphia media market

Originally posted by topdecktiger:

I'm not sure if Penn St would really like playing in the ACC. There's a good chance they get paired with Louisville and the Virginias.
I don't think Penn State fans would have a problem being paired with the Virginias. A ton, and I mean a ton live around Washington, DC. Louisville they might not like. But I'd see a POD of:

Virginia Tech
Penn State
Syracuse
Virginia

and another of:

Louisville
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Notre Dame

and another of:

NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
UNC

and finally:

Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

Then the designated rival in each of the other three pods would be as if you ordered them 1-2-3-4. For example Designated Rivals for Penn State would be Pittsburgh, Duke, and Georgia Tech. For Virginia Tech, it would be Louisville, NC State, and Clemson. For Syracuse, it would be Boston College, Wake Forest, and Florida State. For Virginia, it would be Notre Dame, UNC, and Miami. These could be adjusted, but they could work this way.

Originally posted by Dr. von Yinzer:
I truly believe the Penn State should consider joining the ACC, but not because the officials are screwing them over in the Big Ten. That is an exceedingly stupid reason to leave a conference, especially when the statistics show that your team has generally been the least penalized team in the league since you joined two decades ago.

The reason I think Penn State should consider moving to the ACC is because, like the University of Pittsburgh, most of their alums live up and down the eastern seaboard - not in the Midwest. Also, the national demographic trends over the past several decades are undeniable and most of the talent is now located south of the Mason-Dixon Line and those numbers are only going to grow. As such, it only makes sense to have a consistent presence in those places.

In fact, that is why I believe Maryland and Rutgers were added to the Big Ten. I don't think it had anything to do with cable subscriptions or any of that other nonsense. I think it was done to appease a wavering Penn State. It obviously worked and I cannot imagine any scenario in which Penn State would ever leave the Big Ten.
This is what I've been saying for years. Demographic Trends for both athletes and students as well as regional access for the Alumni Base are the reasons Penn State could benefit in the ACC over the Big Ten. Size of Public Institution and research collaberation are reasons favoring the Big Ten. But there are some good research institutions in the ACC too that might make good partners for Penn State.

Maryland's move was for money. I think if Penn State were to move to the ACC, the ACC money would grow enough to mitigate the difference today especially if Notre Dame came too.

Originally posted by Dr. von Yinzer:
As for ACC teams, the only real rivalry prospects I see are Virginia Tech, Miami and maybe Georgia Tech. I think those games have a chance to turn into rivalry types of games. We have to win enough to make them so though.

Otherwise, I don't really see any chance of us becoming rivals with fellow divisional schools like North Carolina, Duke, etc. Those games will always feel like games felt against the likes of Connecticut, Rutgers, etc.

Additionally, with the way the schedule is set up, we won't play teams in the other division frequently enough to develop rivalries with anyone other than maybe Syracuse, which for some odd reason never blossomed into a rivalry despite the fact that we have been playing them annually for the past six plus decades. Schools like Florida State and Clemson are certainly big names and could draw some interest but those games will always feel like out of conference games because of how infrequently we play those teams.

Even the potential rivalry games I listed above will never match the intensity of what we felt in past games versus the likes of Penn State, West Virginia and Notre Dame. They really are second-tier types of "big games" for the casual college football fan in this area of the country.

I hate to say it but it is undeniably true. Now, I don't mean to imply that I think Pitt needs Penn State or West Virginia to survive. However, I absolutely think it would be in our best interest to play those two teams on an annual basis. I also think it is in those teams' best interest to play those games on an annual basis. However, that is discussion for another thread.

H2P!

This post was edited on 2/19 11:42 AM by Dr. von Yinzer
The best rivalries are created with fan bases that you come into contact with regularly at work or other places you go on a daily basis. For this reason I think Pitt should look to enter an arrangement with either Penn State or WVU to play on an annual basis around Thanksgiving. I imagine Pitt fans come into contact with both fan bases regularly. You don't have to be in the conference with them. Just set it up.

Pitt will develop a level of rivalry with everyone in the ACC over time. It's just going to take time. Some will be more interesting than others. It will be that way with everyone in a league this big. I too wouldn't mind seeing West Virginia in the ACC. They have instant rivalries with Pitt and Virginia Tech, and UVA could develop one as a replacement for Maryland. Maryland was about third on the list of rivalries that UVA has behind UNC and VT. WVU could replace them easily. There are a ton of WVU fans I run into in Richmond, VA all the time. You wouldn't think they would be here, but they are definitely here.

Originally posted by btstimpy:

I don't think Penn State fans would have a problem being paired with the Virginias. A ton, and I mean a ton live around Washington, DC. Louisville they might not like. But I'd see a POD of:

Virginia Tech
Penn State
Syracuse
Virginia

and another of:

Louisville
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Notre Dame

and another of:

NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
UNC

and finally:

Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

Then the designated rival in each of the other three pods would be as if you ordered them 1-2-3-4. For example Designated Rivals for Penn State would be Pittsburgh, Duke, and Georgia Tech. For Virginia Tech, it would be Louisville, NC State, and Clemson. For Syracuse, it would be Boston College, Wake Forest, and Florida State. For Virginia, it would be Notre Dame, UNC, and Miami. These could be adjusted, but they could work this way.

If they didn't mind it, so much the better. I just don't know anything about Penn St as to whether or not they would have a problem being grouped with programs that aren't bigger names (although Virginia Tech is pretty well-respected nationally).

I don't see how the rivalry thing works though. There aren't enough games.

You are dead on Creepy Valley knows they can't beat these 3

on a consistent basis

PED State is composed of one of the basest group of people in this sport. This kind of complaint shows they haven't changed one bit

Hail to Pitt

Originally posted by Eph97:
ACC can have them. Biggest crybabies in the B1G. Been getting their ass kicked by Ohio State for over 20 years now and apparently its only because of referee and B1G conspiracy. Read their boards and you can see Ohio State has surpassed Pitt as their #1 object of scorn.
Ohio State has never beaten Penn State. Ohio State has always had the help of officiating.

Virginia Tech
Penn State
Syracuse
Virginia

and another of:

Louisville
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Notre Dame

and another of:

NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
UNC

and finally:

Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

If they didn't mind it, so much the better. I just don't know anything about Penn St as to whether or not they would have a problem being grouped with programs that aren't bigger names (although Virginia Tech is pretty well-respected nationally).

I don't see how the rivalry thing works though. There aren't enough games.
The designated rivals work best with a 9 game conference schedule (3 other Division members, 3 designated rivals, 3 from another division on rotation). It could be made to work with 8 games, but slower rotation. Penn State would want to play the Florida teams and Notre Dame as often as possible like everyone else. With the rotation they will get that. The fans will want the close proximity games with Virginia teams and Syracuse too similar to what they get with Rutgers and Maryland.

The designated rivals work best with a 9 game conference schedule (3 other Division members, 3 designated rivals, 3 from another division on rotation). It could be made to work with 8 games, but slower rotation. Penn State would want to play the Florida teams and Notre Dame as often as possible like everyone else. With the rotation they will get that. The fans will want the close proximity games with Virginia teams and Syracuse too similar to what they get with Rutgers and Maryland.

That's what I figured. 9-game schedule is already out the window. The southern schools don't want it. Interesting enough, this topic came up last week on the local sports station. From what the people at Clemson have said, the divisions aren't going anywhere, should expansion happen. TV likes them too much.

Originally posted by kjb32812:
Any Penn State fan who feels PSU should leave the B1G is functionally retarded. The B1G is the best conference for Penn State and they aren't going anywhere.
Can you even objectively explain your stupid ass comment??

I'm not sure if Penn St would really like playing in the ACC. There's a good chance they get paired with Louisville and the Virginias.

Virginia Tech
Penn State
Syracuse
Virginia

and another of:

Louisville
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Notre Dame

and another of:

NC State
Duke
Wake Forest
UNC

and finally:

Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami

Now this is a great post! Good stuff brother...

Im a Nole so TIFWIW... but the ACC should make a full court press to get PSU. They are the ultimate prize. The school needs another norther power to balance the south ND and PSU would be ideal and make the conference tops in overall big 3 sports (football/basketball/baseball). It would allow more of a north south split. I think they would like the 8 game ACC schedule as they would have 4 free games to add BIG schools to their rotation. Lets face it.. they feel like a BIG school but not quite.

You guys might not like it but Pitt playing PSU every year would be awsome... plus you should add WVU every year OOC sort of like how we play Miami and UF OOC every year. Your ticket sales would go through the roof. and you would get a lot more attention from recruits.

Lets make this happen!

^^^^^ Pitt wants / wanted to play Ped St every year but cult leader patrudo had a hissy fit when Pitt would not join the Eastern FB conference. We are scheduled to play in a few "16 and '17.

BTW - ND would be the ultimate prize. Ped St controls the TV sets all across middle PA ( commonly know as Pennsytucky) and ND controls TV sets across the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT