ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Narduzzi: Evidence that head coaching experience matters when hiring a coach

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
(Warning: long read) As Pat Narduzzi's football team continues to struggle, many have begun to question whether he should remain the Pitt head coach beyond this season and, if not, who would be potential replacements. Even if he returns for 2021 (he most likely will), it's an interesting thought exercise to partake in. One of the biggest questions of a potential coaching search would be whether to hire a P5 coordinator or hire a coach with previous head coaching experience, either with a G5 school or at the P5 level. Each Pitt's past two head coaches (Narduzzi and Paul Chryst) have been the former, with Pitt being their first head coaching job. I did some number crunching after the Miami game today and I have come to the conclusion that this would be the wrong approach to take. Here's why:

- First, it's important to understand the challenges that Pitt faces as a program. We will never be able to out-spend our competition, either neighboring schools or ACC members, and, in all likelihood, will also never out-recruit them as well. This means that any coach that leads Pitt's program will have be capable of doing more with less. This makes sense when you compare every Pitt coach since Johnny Majors' first tenure.
CoachPrior Experience?Winning Percentage
Johnny Majors OneYes70%
Jackie SherrillYes83%
Foge FazioNo54%
Mike GottfriedYes60%
Paul HackettNo38%
Johnny Majors TwoYes27%
Walt HarrisYes54%
Dave WannstedtYes58%
Todd GrahamYes50%* (one season)
Paul ChrystNo50%
Pat NarduzziNo55%
Each of the four head coaches with the highest winning percentages while at Pitt (Sherrill, Majors I, Gottfried, Wannstedt) had prior head coaching experience while the coach with the lowest winning percentage (Hackett) had no prior head coaching experience.

- Now, let's compare this to the rest of the country. Since the CFP era began in 2014, 13 different head coaches have made the playoffs: Nick Saban, Mark Helfrich, Jimbo Fisher, Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, Mark Dantonio, Bob Stoops, Chris Petersen, Kirby Smart, Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly, Ryan Day, and Ed Orgeron.
RankingTeamCoachPrior Experience?
2014 (1)AlabamaNick SabanYes
2014 (2)OregonMark HelfrichNo
2014 (3)Florida StateJimbo FisherNo
2014 (4)Ohio StateUrban MeyerYes
2015 (1)ClemsonDabo SwinneyNo
2015 (2)AlabamaNick SabanYes
2015 (3)Michigan StateMark DantonioYes
2015 (4)OklahomaBob StoopsNo
2016 (1)AlabamaNick SabanYes
2016 (2)ClemsonDabo SwinneyNo
2016 (3)Ohio StateUrban MeyerYes
2016 (4)WashingtonChris PetersenYes
2017 (1)ClemsonDabo SwinneyNo
2017 (2)OklahomaLincoln RileyNo
2017 (3)GeorgiaKirby SmartNo
2017 (4)AlabamaNick SabanYes
2018 (1)AlabamaNick SabanYes
2018 (2)ClemsonDabo SwinneyNo
2018 (3)Notre DameBrian KellyYes
2018 (4)OklahomaLincoln RileyNo
2019 (1)LSUEd OrgeronYes
2019 (2)Ohio StateRyan DayNo
2019 (3)ClemsonDabo SwinneyNo
2019 (4)OklahomaLincoln RileyNo
Among those 13 coaches, six had prior head coaching experience (46%). However, among the seven head coaches that had no prior head coaching experience, five of them were previously coaches and/or coordinators with the same team; essentially, they were promoted at an already established program. If you read this entire post, you will see this develops into a very consistent trend among head coaches with no prior head coaching experience. If you take away these five (since Pitt will not be hiring from within if they do fire Narduzzi), eight coaches have made the CFP who were outright hired. Among these eight, six of them had prior coaching experience (75%). Additionally, among the four different head coaches to make the CFP more than once (Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Riley), 50% of them had prior head coaching experience while the two were promoted from the existing staff. As you can see, the majority of programs that have made the CFP since 2014 have not hired an outside coordinator as their head coach; the lone two exceptions were Oklahoma's Bob Stoops and Georgia's Kirby Smart. For what it's worth, this trend continues when you look at each head coach who won a national championship during the BCS era; nine of the 13 head coaches had prior experience (69%), while three of the four that did not (75%) were hired from within. This means that nine of the ten head coaches hired outright had prior head coaching experience (90%). (1/3)

- Next, let's view the previous head coaching experience for every head coach from a P5 Top 15 team during the CFP era, excluding the coaches mentioned above that have any CFP appearances.
RankingSchoolCoachPrior Experience?
2014 (5)BaylorArt BrilesYes
2014 (6)TCUGary PattersonNo
2014 (7)Mississippi StateDan MullenNo
2014 (8)Michigan StateMark DantonioYes
2014 (9)Ole MissHugh FreezeYes
2014 (10)ArizonaRich RodriguezYes
2014 (11)Kansas StateBill SnyderNo
2014 (12)Georgia TechPaul JohnsonYes
2014 (13)GeorgiaMark RichtNo
2014 (14)UCLAJim MoraYes
2014 (15)Arizona StateTodd GrahamYes
2015 (5)IowaKirk FerentzYes
2015 (6)StanfordDavid ShawNo
2015 (7)Ohio StateUrban MeyerYes
2015 (8)Notre DameBrian KellyYes
2015 (9)Florida StateJimbo FisherNo
2015 (10)North CarolinaLarry FedoraYes
2015 (11)TCUGary PattersonNo
2015 (12)Ole MissHugh FreezeYes
2015 (13)NorthwesternPat FitzgeraldNo
2015 (14)MichiganJim HarbaughYes
2015 (15)OregonMark HelfrichNo
2016 (5)Penn StateJames FranklinYes
2016 (6)MichiganJim HarbaughYes
2016 (7)OklahomaBob StoopsNo
2016 (8)WisconsinPaul ChrystYes
2016 (9)USCClay HeltonNo
2016 (10)ColoradoMike MacIntyreYes
2016 (11)Florida StateJimbo FisherNo
2016 (12)Oklahoma StateMike GundyNo
2016 (13)LouisvilleBobby PetrinoYes
2016 (14)AuburnGus MalzahnYes
2017 (5)Ohio StateUrban MeyerYes
2017 (6)WisconsinPaul ChrystYes
2017 (7)AuburnGus MalzahnYes
2017 (8)USCClay HeltonNo
2017 (9)Penn StateJames FranklinYes
2017 (10)MiamiMark RichtYes
2017 (11)WashingtonChris PetersenYes
2017 (13)StanfordDavid ShawNo
2017 (14)Notre DameBrian KellyYes
2017 (15)TCUGary PattersonNo
2018 (5)GeorgiaKirby SmartNo
2018 (6)Ohio StateUrban MeyerYes
2018 (7)MichiganJim HarbaughYes
2018 (9)WashingtonChris PetersenYes
2018 (10)FloridaDan MullenYes
2018 (11)LSUEd OrgeronYes
2018 (12)Penn StateJames FranklinYes
2018 (13)Washington StateMike LeachYes
2018 (14)KentuckyMark StoopsNo
2018 (15)TexasTom HermanYes
2019 (5)GeorgiaKirby SmartNo
2019 (6)OregonMario CristobalYes
2019 (7)BaylorMatt RhuleYes
2019 (8)WisconsinPaul ChrystYes
2019 (9)FloridaDan MullenYes
2019 (10)Penn StateJames FranklinYes
2019 (11)UtahKyle WhittinghamNo
2019 (12)AuburnGus MalzahnYes
2019 (13)AlabamaNick SabanYes
2019 (14)MichiganJim HarbaughYes
2019 (15)Notre DameBrian KellyYes
30 different P5 head coaches led their teams to Top 15 finishes at least once; 20 had prior head coaching experience (67%). Nine of those 30 had multiple appearances in the Top 15; six of them had prior head coaching experience (67%). Once again, among the ten head coaches with no prior head coaching experience, six of them (60%) were promoted within, and all three (100%) that made multiple appearances were promoted. When you account for those head coaches, the percentage of coaches who were outright hired that had a Top 15 appearance while having prior head coaching experience increases to 77%, respectively.

- Now, when attempting to compare these coaches and programs to Pitt, it's important to remove outliers, namely some of the largest revenue-generating programs in the country. Using Forbes' 2019 "Top 25 Most Valuable CFB Programs" sheet (source), eliminating the programs mentioned by Forbes cuts the amount of head coaches down to 19. Among those 19, three were promoted from within, meaning eleven out of 16 outright-hired coaches had prior head coaching experience (69%): Art Briles, Rich Rodriguez, Paul Johnson, Jim Mora, Todd Graham, Larry Fedora, Mike MacIntyre, Bobby Petrino, Mark Richt, Mike Leach, Matt Rhule. Among those 11, only two of them made multiple appearances; both had no prior experience but were promoted from within. Interestingly enough, Baylor made the list twice with two different head coaches, Briles (2014) and Rhule (2019); both had prior head coaching experience. When you look at those eleven head coaches, five of them had prior P5 head coaching experience, five had prior G5 head coaching experience, and one was previously an NFL head coach. What's also interesting is that among all eleven head coaches listed above to only hold a FCS/G5 head coaching job, their cumulative win percentage at their prior jobs was 60%. I would've expected that to be higher, but it also could've been weighted down by coaches like Kirk Ferentz and Mario Cristobal, who held a FCS/G5 job and then became an assistant at a major P5 school before landing a P5 job (more on Cristobal soon). (2/3)

Reactions: chirurgo
- Finally, here's a compilation of every P5 head coaching hire made between 2014-2018, their prior head coaching experience (or lack thereof), and their winning percentage at their new school. I cut it off at 2018 because I wanted to have at least a two-year sample size for every coach.
Year HiredSchool Hired ByCoachPrior Experience?Winning %
2014USCSteve SarkisanYes (P5)67%*
2014WashingtonChris PetersenYes68%
2014TexasCharlie StrongYes (P5)43%
2014Penn StateJames FranklinYes (P5)71%
2014LouisvilleBobby PetrinoYes (P5)69%
2014VanderbiltDerek MasonNo35%
2015FloridaJim McElwainYes65%
2015KansasDavid BeatyNo13%
2015MichiganJim HarbaughYes (P5)72%
2015NebraskaMike RileyYes (P5)50%
2015PittPat NarduzziNo55%
2015Oregon StateGary AndersenYes (P5)23%
2015WisconsinPaul ChrystYes (P5)76%
2016IllinoisLovie SmithYes (NFL)31%
2016Iowa StateMatt CampbellYes53%
2016MarylandD.J. DurkinNo40%
2016MiamiMark RichtYes (P5)67%
2016MissouriBarry OdomNo50%
2016MinnesotaTracy ClaeysNo58%
2016RutgersChris AshNo20%
2016SyracuseDino BabersYes44%
2016USCClay HeltonNo64%
2016VirginiaBronco MendenhallYes46%
2016Virginia TechJustin FuenteYes63%
2017BaylorMatt RhuleYes49%
2017LSUEd OrgeronYes (P5)79%
2017PurdueJeff BrohmYes48%
2017CaliforniaJeff WilcoxNo53%
2017IndianaTom AllenNo47%
2017MinnesotaP.J. FleckYes61%
2017OregonWillie TaggartYes58%*
2017TexasTom HermanYes61%
2018OklahomaLincoln RileyNo83%
2018Oregon StateJonathan SmithNo29%
2018FloridaDan MullenYes (P5)79%
2018TennesseeJeremy PruittNo54%
2018UCLAChip KellyYes (P5)29%
2018Florida StateWillie TaggartYes (P5)43%
2018ArkansasChad MorrisYes18%
2018NebraskaScott FrostYes38%
2018Arizona StateHerm EdwardsYes (NFL)58%
2018Mississippi StateJoe MoorheadYes54%
2018Texas A&MJimbo FisherYes (P5)67%
2018OregonMario CristobalYes78%
2018ArizonaKevin SumlinYes(P5)38%
Thirteen coaches were hired by a P5 program that did not have prior head coaching experience; their cumulative win percentage is 43%. Meanwhile, 32 coaches were hired that had array of head coaching experience, whether it be at a P5 program, G5 or FCS, or even the NFL. Their cumulative win percentage is 55%, a twelve percent increase. Now, let's take that a step further a break down the coaches that had prior experience. Fifteen coaches were hired that had some sort of prior P5 head coaching experience; their cumulative win percentage was 58%, the highest total that will be listed. The next highest winning percentage came from coaches that had jumped directly from a G5 program; 13 coaches combined for a 53% winning percentage. There were a few other groups that had extremely small sample sizes, including: two coaches that had previously been a FCS or G5 head but was most recently a P5 coordinator (66%), one coach that had previously been a P5 head coach but was most recently a G5 head coach (69%), and one coach that had previously been a P5 head coach but was most recently a P5 coordinator (79%).

So, what do all these numbers mean? I think a few things. One, head coaching experience does matter. Most programs, especially those that are not well-established, can not afford to have head coaches learn on the fly. Second, programs have more or less had more success hiring coaches in the CFP era that have previously served as a P5 head coach, then young, up-and-coming coaches that were making the jump from a G5 program. This means that, statistically, Pitt would have a higher probability of success (as defined by cracking the Top 15) by hiring someone like Cincinnati's Luke Fickell or Central Michigan's Jim McElwain than, say, Clemson's Tony Elliott or Jeff Scott. After them, the next "tier of success" would be hiring someone like Charlotte's Will Healy or Louisiana's Billy Napier. I do wish that there was a larger sample size for ex-P5 coaches that were currently G5 head coaches or P5 coordinators, especially since the head coach of the defending national champions (LSU's Orgeron) falls into this category. Of course, none of this would be a slam-dunk; I didn't have the time to run any statistical tests and there's a huge difference between correlations and causations. But, it's good "food for thought" that we may very well have to consider if Narduzzi doesn't right the ship at Pitt.

Here's to hoping this is all for naught and we can bounce back for a strong second half in 2020. :) (3/3)

1) Your list is laughable because you are comparing us to some of the elite programs and their coaching hires.

2) There are 0 good established Power 5 head coaches that would leave their school for Pitt.

3) Give me a good, young, smart, innovative coach who can recruit. I could care less if he has head coaching experience or not. Every great coach had to start somewhere.

Reactions: cdmg
1) Your list is laughable because you are comparing us to some of the elite programs and their coaching hires.

2) There are 0 good established Power 5 head coaches that would leave their school for Pitt.

3) Give me a good, young, smart, innovative coach who can recruit. I could care less if he has head coaching experience or not. Every great coach had to start somewhere.
1) Respectfully, I addressed this in the second post by factoring out schools that were listed in Forbes’ 2019 Most Valuable CFB Programs list, which accounts for the “elite programs” you allude to.
2) I agree with this, which is why I also addressed this in the second post that broke down the G5 head coaches hired both by all P5 programs and programs not listed by Forbes’ list.
3) I agree with this, too. However, I’d also prefer one with prior experience. Will Healy of UNC-Charlotte is a good example of a young coach checking off both boxes.

Reactions: UNCPSUFAN
Previous head coaching experience would not be a requirement for my list of candidates to be the head football coach at Pitt. This is my checklist in no particular order, but the hire should meet all of them.

1) Smart
2) Innovative
3) Leader that Commands the Room
4) Younger
5) Can Recruit Well
6) Has Contacts to Put Together a Good Staff

I think by process of elimination, our next HC will be someone we never heard of from the lower levels.

I mean, what up and coming OC or DC from a P5 school would take this career killing job?

Hey, that's fine with me. Give me an offensive minded coach witha staff of recruiters.

It's a step up from where we are today.

I think by process of elimination, our next HC will be someone we never heard of from the lower levels.

I mean, what up and coming OC or DC from a P5 school would take this career killing job?

Hey, that's fine with me. Give me an offensive minded coach witha staff of recruiters.

It's a step up from where we are today.
I think the name of the next head coach will be Joe Moorhead.

The fatal flaw in the analysis is that coaching changes at Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Georgia are given the same weight as the Pitt program.
Pitt is not a national blue blood. We’ve tried assistants/previous head coaches on a regular basis since 1982. The singular conclusion? Doesn’t matter. Mediocre results follow regardless of incoming coach.
Why? Pitt is a regional program who has not attracted top talent since the mills closed. Jesus Christ could be Pitts coach and he’s still not going to land 4 stars.
It’s all about talent. We’re poorly positioned to land top talent.

The fatal flaw in the analysis is that coaching changes at Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Georgia are given the same weight as the Pitt program.
Pitt is not a national blue blood. We’ve tried assistants/previous head coaches on a regular basis since 1982. The singular conclusion? Doesn’t matter. Mediocre results follow regardless of incoming coach.
Why? Pitt is a regional program who has not attracted top talent since the mills closed. Jesus Christ could be Pitts coach and he’s still not going to land 4 stars.
It’s all about talent. We’re poorly positioned to land top talent.
If we were to eliminate hires made by schools in the “Most Valuable Programs” list:
- 10 coaches were hired with no experience, with a cumulative winning percentage of 40%
- 15 coaches were hired with some sort of previous head coaching experience, with a cumulative winning percentage of 49% (+9%)

The overall winning percentages go down across the board but the difference between those with experience and no experience remains relatively equal.

Among those 15 coaches, seven were hired straight from a G5 school; their cumulative winning percentage was 52%. Interestingly enough, the five former P5 head coaches that were hired at a new P5 school combined for a mere 45% winning percentage.

I enjoyed this thread though there are noticeable flaws. Does Paul chryst have a better record at Wisconsin because he is at Wisconsin vs pitt or because he gained 3 years of head coaching experience with pitt and learned a few things? (I would argue it is more Wisconsin vs pitt but I am sure he learned a few things along the way.)

I believe the premise of the OP is correct....its kind of like recruiting...yes you can find a 2 star recruit that makes it to the NFL, but your chances of success probably increase with a guy that has experience.

On the other hand, let's use finkle as an example. Is he going to win more games at cincy or pitt? I would argue for him taking the pitt job is a step down and has a higher risk than his current gig. I just dont see many coaches with experience that will be busting down pitts door.

Previous head coaching experience would not be a requirement for my list of candidates to be the head football coach at Pitt. This is my checklist in no particular order, but the hire should meet all of them.

1) Smart
2) Innovative
3) Leader that Commands the Room
4) Younger
5) Can Recruit Well
6) Has Contacts to Put Together a Good Staff
Now there’s a great list of attributes, let’s go get that guy.

wait, does any AD ever hire someone as a head coach that they don’t think is 1, 3, 5 and 6. Only 2 and 4 on your list seem optional.

Now there’s a great list of attributes, let’s go get that guy.

wait, does any AD ever hire someone as a head coach that they don’t think is 1, 3, 5 and 6. Only 2 and 4 on your list seem optional.
Let’s hope our current AD has the list because some our past AD’s didn’t.

I know you put a lot of effort into this post, but I just don't see head coaching experience as being a key factor in success. I want to know...

1. How they handle and interact with people within their organization. Are they able to connect with their players and coaching staff? They want to play for themselves and the team as a whole.

2. Do they have a vision/philosophy? I'm not talking about running a spread offense, but what do they want the team to be all about. Will they adapt as the team changes over the years?

3. How do they delegate? Is the head coach going to be the DC while the OC has autonomy over the offense? Will the head coach allow his coaches to coach or will he provide his input and listen to the input of the entire staff? Having one or two outstanding units on the team is great, but if the same standards aren't held from the top, you don't have team success.

4. You need someone who can recruit. We're not going to be Clemson, but picking up higher end recruits is necessary to win long term.

5. Strong support system. You need a coaching staff and administration that believes in winning football. Maybe being a national title contender is out of the question. But averaging 8-9 wins a year should be reasonable for Pitt with a 10-win season mixed in every few years. You need the expectations for the team to change at every level of the University.

You simply don't need any head coaching experience to have any of those items. For me, Narduzzi falls below the line in interactions (media and officials), vision (sticks with his system), delegation (Whipple has total control of offense), recruiting (self explanatory), and support system (this one is out of his control). You fall short in all five areas you're going to fall short on the field. If Pitt can get a guy who is above the line in at least three of those areas you're going to see a better team on Saturdays.

I know you put a lot of effort into this post, but I just don't see head coaching experience as being a key factor in success. I want to know...

1. How they handle and interact with people within their organization. Are they able to connect with their players and coaching staff? They want to play for themselves and the team as a whole.

2. Do they have a vision/philosophy? I'm not talking about running a spread offense, but what do they want the team to be all about. Will they adapt as the team changes over the years?

3. How do they delegate? Is the head coach going to be the DC while the OC has autonomy over the offense? Will the head coach allow his coaches to coach or will he provide his input and listen to the input of the entire staff? Having one or two outstanding units on the team is great, but if the same standards aren't held from the top, you don't have team success.

4. You need someone who can recruit. We're not going to be Clemson, but picking up higher end recruits is necessary to win long term.

5. Strong support system. You need a coaching staff and administration that believes in winning football. Maybe being a national title contender is out of the question. But averaging 8-9 wins a year should be reasonable for Pitt with a 10-win season mixed in every few years. You need the expectations for the team to change at every level of the University.

You simply don't need any head coaching experience to have any of those items. For me, Narduzzi falls below the line in interactions (media and officials), vision (sticks with his system), delegation (Whipple has total control of offense), recruiting (self explanatory), and support system (this one is out of his control). You fall short in all five areas you're going to fall short on the field. If Pitt can get a guy who is above the line in at least three of those areas you're going to see a better team on Saturdays.

This is fair....

Reactions: Burgh15

PN falls short in a lot of these categories. That is even more reason to believe a good hire would have success.

I just cringe when I hear people say - “why would an up and coming coach come to Pitt?”, well it’s quite simple - It’s a P5 that pays a lot of money! Heather has shown to be very capable in identifying and hiring coaches. I’ll trust her judgement.

Reactions: chirurgo

Simple concept.....anyone that places a priority on prior successful head coaching experience is just saying that they want someone that has already successfully demonstrated all the attributes you list.

And yes, not having previously been a head coach doesn’t mean they don’t have those attributes, it just means you have to be better at identifying someone that has them but hasn’t yet had the opportunity to display them as a head coach.

Let’s just get someone that can recruit. Talent trumps most everything else.

- Finally, here's a compilation of every P5 head coaching hire made between 2014-2018, their prior head coaching experience (or lack thereof), and their winning percentage at their new school. I cut it off at 2018 because I wanted to have at least a two-year sample size for every coach.
Year HiredSchool Hired ByCoachPrior Experience?Winning %
2014USCSteve SarkisanYes (P5)67%*
2014WashingtonChris PetersenYes68%
2014TexasCharlie StrongYes (P5)43%
2014Penn StateJames FranklinYes (P5)71%
2014LouisvilleBobby PetrinoYes (P5)69%
2014VanderbiltDerek MasonNo35%
2015FloridaJim McElwainYes65%
2015KansasDavid BeatyNo13%
2015MichiganJim HarbaughYes (P5)72%
2015NebraskaMike RileyYes (P5)50%
2015PittPat NarduzziNo55%
2015Oregon StateGary AndersenYes (P5)23%
2015WisconsinPaul ChrystYes (P5)76%
2016IllinoisLovie SmithYes (NFL)31%
2016Iowa StateMatt CampbellYes53%
2016MarylandD.J. DurkinNo40%
2016MiamiMark RichtYes (P5)67%
2016MissouriBarry OdomNo50%
2016MinnesotaTracy ClaeysNo58%
2016RutgersChris AshNo20%
2016SyracuseDino BabersYes44%
2016USCClay HeltonNo64%
2016VirginiaBronco MendenhallYes46%
2016Virginia TechJustin FuenteYes63%
2017BaylorMatt RhuleYes49%
2017LSUEd OrgeronYes (P5)79%
2017PurdueJeff BrohmYes48%
2017CaliforniaJeff WilcoxNo53%
2017IndianaTom AllenNo47%
2017MinnesotaP.J. FleckYes61%
2017OregonWillie TaggartYes58%*
2017TexasTom HermanYes61%
2018OklahomaLincoln RileyNo83%
2018Oregon StateJonathan SmithNo29%
2018FloridaDan MullenYes (P5)79%
2018TennesseeJeremy PruittNo54%
2018UCLAChip KellyYes (P5)29%
2018Florida StateWillie TaggartYes (P5)43%
2018ArkansasChad MorrisYes18%
2018NebraskaScott FrostYes38%
2018Arizona StateHerm EdwardsYes (NFL)58%
2018Mississippi StateJoe MoorheadYes54%
2018Texas A&MJimbo FisherYes (P5)67%
2018OregonMario CristobalYes78%
2018ArizonaKevin SumlinYes(P5)38%
Thirteen coaches were hired by a P5 program that did not have prior head coaching experience; their cumulative win percentage is 43%. Meanwhile, 32 coaches were hired that had array of head coaching experience, whether it be at a P5 program, G5 or FCS, or even the NFL. Their cumulative win percentage is 55%, a twelve percent increase. Now, let's take that a step further a break down the coaches that had prior experience. Fifteen coaches were hired that had some sort of prior P5 head coaching experience; their cumulative win percentage was 58%, the highest total that will be listed. The next highest winning percentage came from coaches that had jumped directly from a G5 program; 13 coaches combined for a 53% winning percentage. There were a few other groups that had extremely small sample sizes, including: two coaches that had previously been a FCS or G5 head but was most recently a P5 coordinator (66%), one coach that had previously been a P5 head coach but was most recently a G5 head coach (69%), and one coach that had previously been a P5 head coach but was most recently a P5 coordinator (79%).

So, what do all these numbers mean? I think a few things. One, head coaching experience does matter. Most programs, especially those that are not well-established, can not afford to have head coaches learn on the fly. Second, programs have more or less had more success hiring coaches in the CFP era that have previously served as a P5 head coach, then young, up-and-coming coaches that were making the jump from a G5 program. This means that, statistically, Pitt would have a higher probability of success (as defined by cracking the Top 15) by hiring someone like Cincinnati's Luke Fickell or Central Michigan's Jim McElwain than, say, Clemson's Tony Elliott or Jeff Scott. After them, the next "tier of success" would be hiring someone like Charlotte's Will Healy or Louisiana's Billy Napier. I do wish that there was a larger sample size for ex-P5 coaches that were currently G5 head coaches or P5 coordinators, especially since the head coach of the defending national champions (LSU's Orgeron) falls into this category. Of course, none of this would be a slam-dunk; I didn't have the time to run any statistical tests and there's a huge difference between correlations and causations. But, it's good "food for thought" that we may very well have to consider if Narduzzi doesn't right the ship at Pitt.

Here's to hoping this is all for naught and we can bounce back for a strong second half in 2020. :) (3/3)

This is an incredible body of work. Thank you for your thought and time that went into this. It does highlight the challenge Pitt has had administratively since the Wannstedt era. They have not been able to promote from within and by design have not succeeded with previous coordinators to elevate the program. For a program like Pitt, I believe previous head coaching experience is absolutely essential. It’s not enough to be just a successful coordinator. The reason is a successful coordinator in today’s game has mastered 50% of the game. Narduzzi is overly defensive minded right down to his recruiting. The majority of games being won aren’t being won with great defense. They are high-scoring games. Why has the offense suffered? Because he doesn’t understand how to build a sustainable coaching staff on offense. Without a sustainable coaching staff they continue to focus recruiting efforts on defensive talent. The result is less offensive talent and a revolving door of coaches on offense.

I like the idea of going after a prior head coach. Baylor is a solid example of this. They are not a blue-blood program. They hire other programs head coaches and they win. Heather Lyke should pattern her decision-making likewise.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I enjoyed this thread though there are noticeable flaws. Does Paul chryst have a better record at Wisconsin because he is at Wisconsin vs pitt or because he gained 3 years of head coaching experience with pitt and learned a few things? (I would argue it is more Wisconsin vs pitt but I am sure he learned a few things along the way.)

I believe the premise of the OP is correct....its kind of like recruiting...yes you can find a 2 star recruit that makes it to the NFL, but your chances of success probably increase with a guy that has experience.

On the other hand, let's use finkle as an example. Is he going to win more games at cincy or pitt? I would argue for him taking the pitt job is a step down and has a higher risk than his current gig. I just dont see many coaches with experience that will be busting down pitts door.
You are right in that there are some things that simply writing down numbers doesn’t account for, such as Chryst/Wisconsin. He’d honestly be better off going under the “promotion” category, but then you’d begin to put too much subjective influence on the numbers. Another one would be Cristobal/Oregon; is he having success because he was previously a head coach at FIU or is it because he’s an ace recruiter that had years of experience on elite staffs after that?

You can try to factor those out by removing some schools, but there still will be some things that the numbers don’t tell you. My premise was that a coach with previous head coaching experience would be more likely to have success at his next job, mainly because he already knows how to run a program, how to recruit, how to build a staff, etc. In short, the traits you look for in a coach would be more identifiable in them.

Eddie Robinson, Paterno, LaVell Edwards, Tom Osborne - Some of the most successful coaches of all time never had head coaching experience.

Dabo Swinney, Patterson, Riley, Smart, Day, Whittingham, Shaw - No previous HC experience.

Steelers - Noll, Cowher, Tomlin - No head coaching experience.

You either have the qualities that are necessary to be a good head coach or you don’t. Pitt’s pool of potential head coaching candidates is a lot smaller than Clemson, UGA, and OSU and they went with a good, young, innovative, aggressive assistant coach who didn’t have head coaching experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT