ADVERTISEMENT

post Oregon state, here's where I'm at with this team

pitt90seven

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2013
* shooting way too many 3's. and not getting into the paint enough. not enough driving to the basket. OSU was fouling us every time we drove the lane and we stopped doing it. this has been a theme so far this season. and it's not a good one. reasons: a) we're not as good of a 3 point shooting team as last year. b) the team is younger and not playing as smart as the upper classmen were last season. they knew when to take those shots. and when not to. this team isn't there yet.

* I know the twins are getting knocked right now. and rightfully so in some regard. I also know what I saw from GDG against Tolu Smith (all SEC pre-season first team dude) last year. he doesn't stink. fede doesn't stink. so far, we've nowhere near seen their best. but that was the case last year too. maybe they're slow starters. I don't know. but I don't expect it to continue all season.

* FT shooting: I believe this is going to cost us several conference games. not good.

* someone mentioned about Lowe needing to get good quick in the game thread. could not agree more. we need him to be a smart PG who can run the offense and be a calming influence on the court. this is a key one for me: if he muddles along this season as a bit player, we're in trouble in conference games.

* will: pleasantly surprised. in theory, he should be improving month to month. hopefully he's giving us some big time minutes by late January. this could be another big key as whenever we get in foul trouble, he's going to be seeing minutes.

Positives so far: Bub. Austin woke up today. Leggette looking darn good.
Negatives: FT shooting. shot selection. not spending time in the paint. big 3 early struggles.

Evaluation: FT shooting isn't going to get better as the season goes on. to have a successful season: the big 3 need to contribute the level they did last season (at least), Lowe needs to be reliable and dependable, Will needs to be a glue guy, better shot selection, and getting a reasonable amount of points in the paint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News