ADVERTISEMENT

Problems for Rori Blair

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...y-of-pittsburgh-football/stories/201507210165

Not good. Probably a 2 game suspension in my opinion. That said, this is the exact kind of thing that doesn't get reported in State College, Morgantown, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Gainesville, name any college town. Even if the cops charge somebody or make an arrest, it doesn't make the newspapers and nobody knows about it. When you play in a major metropolitan area where the media has ample resources, you cant hide like you can in State College. The Centre County Times is never, not in a million years, going to report something like this.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...y-of-pittsburgh-football/stories/201507210165

Not good. Probably a 2 game suspension in my opinion. That said, this is the exact kind of thing that doesn't get reported in State College, Morgantown, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Gainesville, name any college town. Even if the cops charge somebody or make an arrest, it doesn't make the newspapers and nobody knows about it. When you play in a major metropolitan area where the media has ample resources, you cant hide like you can in State College. The Centre County Times is never, not in a million years, going to report something like this.
That sucks. Pretty bad facts there, enough to warrant plenty more than a short suspension. Not comparable to Boyd's case. Thought Blair was a kid who had his head on straight. Obviously he doesn't.

As for being kept hush hush, the arrest was in March and we're just hearing about the incident now, so.....

And for the usual "he was just a kid who smoked a little pot" crowd, lots of college kids, a majority, including athletes, smoke weed and drink. But how many do you know of who get stoned and drive their cars 120 mph in a 55 on a surface street? That's bad.

There will be a significant sanction for this, count on it.

And for the usual "he was just a kid who smoked a little pot" crowd, lots of college kids, a majority, including athletes, smoke weed and drink. But how many do you know of who get stoned and drive their cars 120 mph in a 55 on a surface street? That's bad.

Agreed, but I think its pretty telling that Pitt was able to keep it quiet for 4 months. Its easy to see that Campus Towns are able to keep these things quiet indefinitely..........and maybe Pitt was trying to do the same. I'm not a big fan of team discipline, I'm sorry. The country has laws that punish........however in this case, considering the severity, I'd probably suspend him a couple games. What he did could have ended very badly.

See, this is what happens when you bring in these Upper St. Clair kids :)

Reactions: Bradlib Zannamaker
I am trying to think how old I was and the 1st car I owned that could do 117mph o_O

Agreed, but I think its pretty telling that Pitt was able to keep it quiet for 4 months. Its easy to see that Campus Towns are able to keep these things quiet indefinitely..........and maybe Pitt was trying to do the same. I'm not a big fan of team discipline, I'm sorry. The country has laws that punish........however in this case, considering the severity, I'd probably suspend him a couple games. What he did could have ended very badly.

See, this is what happens when you bring in these Upper St. Clair kids :)

A minimum of a year suspension is due here. He should thank his lucky stars if he's not dismissed from the team.

Dismiss him, loudly and with mock outrage and over the top preaching ... Duz can recite the demons of excess speed, illicit substances etc. Do this on a midweek day, ideally no Pirates game, ideally before Stiller camp is in full swing. Or maybe that slow day when they break camp and head back to the city. Max exposure.

Then announce quietly, Friday night prior to the first game, that Boyd will miss the first series of the game.

You can't exactly make lemonade out of this. His degree of offense is just obviously too severe, even if only PR wise ("117 MPH!!!") to be shirked. But you can at least use it to try to balance what is equally obvious to do with the Boyd situation.

The successful programs employ depth chart justice for a reason. Pitt should aim to be one, for once.

One year suspension is in order. Anything less is a joke...oh wait... he was a starter???missing the first half against ysu will send the right message

One year suspension is in order. Anything less is a joke...oh wait... he was a starter???missing the first half against ysu will send the right message

Are you people serious? This is big boy football. And I'm thinking Narduzzi has the Big Ten "win at any cost" mentality. I'm guessing that Michigan State didn't start dominating that league with choir boys. Joe Starkey is demanding game suspensions for Boyd and Blair but so what? Why should Pitt be playing on an unlevel playing field? This stuff never gets reported in other places but at Pitt, we have to penalize ourselves. I'm upset Boyd was suspended a month. I thought that was far too harsh, I realize it was the off-season but what if the DUI was in October? Would it still be a month suspension?

Boyd should either have no suspension or maybe it should be that he doesn't start against YSU. What he did is absolutely no big deal. He wasn't drunk and he passed a car that was slowing down to make a right-hand turn. It was a minor traffic violation and his DUI has an asterisk on it, for me, because had he been a few months older, he wouldn't have received one.

Blair's is a bigger deal obviously but anything more than a game or 2 is excessive. Pitt can't be disciplining players for things that go un-charged and un-reported in other places. Hopefully Narduzzi realizes this.

Are you people serious? This is big boy football. And I'm thinking Narduzzi has the Big Ten "win at any cost" mentality. I'm guessing that Michigan State didn't start dominating that league with choir boys. Joe Starkey is demanding game suspensions for Boyd and Blair but so what? Why should Pitt be playing on an unlevel playing field? This stuff never gets reported in other places but at Pitt, we have to penalize ourselves. I'm upset Boyd was suspended a month. I thought that was far too harsh, I realize it was the off-season but what if the DUI was in October? Would it still be a month suspension?

Boyd should either have no suspension or maybe it should be that he doesn't start against YSU. What he did is absolutely no big deal. He wasn't drunk and he passed a car that was slowing down to make a right-hand turn. It was a minor traffic violation and his DUI has an asterisk on it, for me, because had he been a few months older, he wouldn't have received one.

Blair's is a bigger deal obviously but anything more than a game or 2 is excessive. Pitt can't be disciplining players for things that go un-charged and un-reported in other places. Hopefully Narduzzi realizes this.
I'm not suggesting kicking out Blair because of his act (though it was pretty extreme). I'm suggesting it because he's likely to be a gibrone as a player. He was a nice story due to his recovery from a serious condition. It was heart warming he got in the field. He ran around,looked kind of fast. Whoo woo all around. But he wasn't considered much of a prospect in the first place, and true to that thinking, wasn't effective. And now that he's a PR nightmare due to this stupid move, he's not worth sucking up a valuable scholarship.

Dump his ass and see if there are any late uncommitted Juco DEs still out there eligible for the fall. Any of them would likely be just as useful as Blair. Or give a marginal local kid who was on the fringe, to engineer some goodwill with his hs coach.

By doing so Pitt can then go gloriously light on the discipline of Boyd ... miss the intro to the first game and first series, max. Absolutely no more than that.

Then, when he inevitably bleats, Pitt can more legitimately tell Ron Cook to go to hell and die an egregiously painful agonizing death (well, maybe not the latter part, out loud anyway).

Don't feel bad for Blair. He made his own bed. He is from a rich area so likely has no worries for the future (well, other than health, if he keeps this idiocy up). Worst case, our friends at Cal U will likely welcome him. As others have shown, it's a place a legit player can make a name for himself.

Pitt needs to be strategic about crisis management, scholarships and PR, like the big teams do.

"And I'm thinking Narduzzi has the Big Ten "win at any cost" mentality. I'm guessing that Michigan State didn't start dominating that league with choir boys."

Where do you even get this stuff from? You're thinking and guessing wrong.

The B10 is no more "win at all costs" than any other league outside of the SEC, which is in its own category. Are you suggesting that the ACC is on some kind of moral higher ground than the B10? That's hilarious.

Dantonio instilled discipline into a program that historically never had any, even under Perles and Saban, which is one of the primary reasons they were able to turn things around there and overcome the "little brother" lovable loser culture. Under John L Williams and Bobby Williams, MSU deteriorated to a program that other programs laughed at for its lack of discipline on and off the field. It was a joke. Dantonio is a serious, no-nonsense guy, and we can expect Narduzzi to emulate him as closely as possible--he has said that he intends to do so on many occasions.

I'm not saying what an appropriate punishment is for Blair, but I don't expect a slap on the wrist, token-type gesture. There will be real consequences. Hopefully a couple of the younger guys are ready to go. This is where we will miss Luke MacLean. He transferred to Eastern Michigan--i don't get that. he would have been in line to start or at least contribute heavily here this year.

"And I'm thinking Narduzzi has the Big Ten "win at any cost" mentality. I'm guessing that Michigan State didn't start dominating that league with choir boys."

Where do you even get this stuff from? You're thinking and guessing wrong.

Just my hunch. I think under Chryst and even Graham, both would have had playing-time suspensions by now. I like Narduzzi and I'm HOPING he wants to win at all costs. Who's to say he's any different than other Youngstown area coaches (Stoops brothers, Tressel, Pelini) who want to win at any cost? Chryst was a different kind of cat, could never get a read on him. Graham thought he was holier than thou but a complete slimeball. I really think Narduzzi is more of a throwback, "lets just win football games" kind of a coach, similar in some ways to Wanny. Just my opinion though.

It is the kind of thing that did NOT get reported in Pittsburgh until after the fact.

This just showed up on #HTP

Isn’t that Blair on the far right?

CKhrtFTWsAAaDEZ.jpg

Just my hunch. I think under Chryst and even Graham, both would have had playing-time suspensions by now. I like Narduzzi and I'm HOPING he wants to win at all costs. Who's to say he's any different than other Youngstown area coaches (Stoops brothers, Tressel, Pelini) who want to win at any cost? Chryst was a different kind of cat, could never get a read on him. Graham thought he was holier than thou but a complete slimeball. I really think Narduzzi is more of a throwback, "lets just win football games" kind of a coach, similar in some ways to Wanny. Just my opinion though.

All I'll add is that, while obviously not a place like Florida and Florida State, Michigan State had it's fair share of players - football and basketball - have issues with the law.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...nfluence-factors-somes-avoid-criminal-charges

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/p...es-face-same-prosecution-rate-as-non-athletes

Pittsburgh media will do their bs regardless of what Nards does on this.

It was incredibly stupid and he is lucky he didn't kill himself or anyone else.

But, he didn't kill himself or anyone else, he didn't hurt anyone.

This cut him from the team today stuff is lingering mediocrity with honor stuff people ginned themselves up for excusing the Wanny fiasco and trying to pretty up PC sleepwalking through the gig.

No reason this program needs to be holding itself to some standard beyond what any other program does, and I personally would not bat an eye if a kid with no other situations we are aware of did this for any program, including PSU and didn't get any more than a team suspension with some lost games.

He didn't hurt anyone or commit an act of violence, he didn't club a chick, he didn't steal anything ...

Nards gets these kids, he knows how to handle this situation that would be best for Blair and the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT